PDA

View Full Version : CEL P0411 - Lean and need help to clean MAF

magnum46
01-08-2011, 10:29 AM
Hi

***made mistake, code is P0411 instead of P0114***

I searched both here and online to get some help in locating and extracting the MAF to clean it with CRC.
Hoping the cleaning will help avoid purchasing a new MAF.
I did replace the braided vac line from the FPR. Hopefully, that is the only line that is worn out.

I have an A4, 2000, 1.8T. I think its an ATW.

Can i get some instructions on locating and extracting the MAF?
If needed, I can snap some pix of the engine.

Thanks in advance.

bandit
01-08-2011, 12:14 PM
P0114 is an IAT code not a mass air problem. It's in your airbox GL...

magnum46
01-08-2011, 06:33 PM
P0114 is an IAT code not a mass air problem. It's in your airbox GL...

What is an IAT?

walky_talky20
01-08-2011, 06:54 PM
Intake Air Temperature sensor. That one is on the intake manifold right behind the throttle plate. Sometimes they get covered in oil and get goofy. I'd pull it, clean it, make sure the connector pins are clean, and clear the code. It is really easy to get to. Just be glad you don't have an S4.

magnum46
01-09-2011, 07:23 AM
Intake Air Temperature sensor. That one is on the intake manifold right behind the throttle plate. Sometimes they get covered in oil and get goofy. I'd pull it, clean it, make sure the connector pins are clean, and clear the code. It is really easy to get to. Just be glad you don't have an S4.

Thanks a bunch! I appreciate the help!
I am going to try and find it. I assume I will use the same CRC MAF Cleaner? Or should I go get the CRC Carb Cleaner?

walky_talky20
01-09-2011, 10:01 AM
OK, P0411 is this:

16795 - Secondary Air Injection System - Incorrect Flow Detected
P0411 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

That code will have nothing to do with the Mass Airflow Sensor either. It is a fault in the secondary air injection (SAI) system There are only a devices in the system, so it is not difficult to repair, if you know how to test it. Vag-com "output test" mode is very helpful in testing this system. There are a few common causes, which I will try to list in order of probability:

- Ripped vacuum line from N112 solenoid valve to Combi valve
- Faulty SAI pump
- Cracked hoses between the SAI pump and combi valve
- Stuck combi valve (closed position)
- No vacuum source to N112 solenoid valve
- Wiring Fault, blown fuse, or faulty SAI pump relay
- Clogged SAI port in cylinder head
- Faulty N112 solenoid valve

magnum46
01-09-2011, 12:15 PM
thanks all for the help..

Anyway, i opened the airbox, vacumn it, replace air filter (regular and no KN), then clean maf with CRC spray.
Checked code and got P1128.
I don;t think i had that code to begin with.

Car runs fine, idle fine, accelerate fine, stops ok and idle at stop ok... not rough or anything.

reset code and now will drive and hope code stays off...

thanks all again