PDA

View Full Version : Oil squirting out around oil filter!?!?!?

yasky777
01-08-2011, 09:08 AM
Car was overdue in oil change, had ticking, while on the way to oil change location, check oil light flashes,I start hearing louder sound. Turn car off immediately, check dip stick, there is no oil at all, I walk to autozone purchase 2 quartz and Lucas. I put the oil in and start car all the noises go away until I start hearing and seeing oil squrting out around my filter when it's running.

Any suggestions???

snowdogg
01-08-2011, 09:22 AM
Most obvious answer... loose oil filter or bad oil filter gasket.

yasky777
01-08-2011, 09:30 AM
I hope it's that simple, but that would explain the slight oil leak while parked on an incline.

DRock3d
01-08-2011, 09:33 AM
You didn't reach down and tighten it? I'm not even that lazy lol

98 a4 1.8
01-08-2011, 09:38 AM
bad oil filter gasket.

2nd

discontained
01-08-2011, 09:45 AM
I didnt know they sold quartz and lucas at autozone. How much did that run you? Hopefully lucas wasnt a midget. I would get my money back if he was.

on a more serious note.

Most obvious answer... loose oil filter or bad oil filter gasket.

Most likely this.... Depending on the lack of information about the engine (2.8/1.8t) im going to assume you have a 1.8t and suggest you check the oil filter. If its not that its probably the banjo bolts that connect to the oil filter housing for your turbo supply/return.

If the car had no oil and you put 2 *quarts* im not supprised the engine is making noises. The car hold 4.4 Quarts. Lucas oil sucks, run some better oil

yasky777
01-08-2011, 09:52 AM
I thought Lucas oil stabilizer was one of the best! It's what alot of foreign car mechanics recommend in place of one quart.

Smart ass

Update: My engine is a 1.8t and the oil is squirting from a metal bolt or piece above the oil filter.

ThatA4T
01-08-2011, 11:31 AM
get a new oil cooler o ring and tighten it back up both needinganaudi and i have both had the same problem

pull the oil filter and i bet the nut holding the oil cooler in place is loose...

walky_talky20
01-08-2011, 03:02 PM
^^This. It is the oil cooler o-ring. Very common failure and they seem to go in an "all at once" fashion in cold weather. Pretty easy to change, though.

So, probably not the oil filter o-ring, the oil *cooler* o-ring.

And for the record our cars do not have a "check oil" light. We have an oil pressure light (red with 3 beeps for STOP.CAR.NOW.), and the later cars have an oil level light (yellow with 1 beep).

DRock3d
01-08-2011, 03:17 PM
^^This. It is the oil cooler o-ring. Very common failure and they seem to go in an "all at once" fashion in cold weather. Pretty easy to change, though.

So, probably not the oil filter o-ring, the oil *cooler* o-ring.

And for the record our cars do not have a "check oil" light. We have an oil pressure light (red with 3 beeps for STOP.CAR.NOW.), and the later cars have an oil level light (yellow with 1 beep).

Is this a facelift and non-facelift difference or is it a B5->B6 difference?

ZimbutheMonkey
01-08-2011, 03:56 PM
Oil cooler gasket for sure, here's a DIY from my Passatworld alter ego http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278918

walky_talky20
01-08-2011, 05:20 PM
Is this a facelift and non-facelift difference or is it a B5->B6 difference?

Change was in 99.5, when the oil level sensor was added to the oil pan. This was slightly after the exterior facelift (door handles, headlights), but before the 2000 model year. There is a wonky vin-split for this.

mightemouce
01-08-2011, 05:22 PM
Ive had issues with aftermarket filters leaking in the past and stick to oem ones from the dealer now and havent had a problem

brettj20
01-08-2011, 06:18 PM
did you look and see it the old filter had its rubber gaskit? it could be be stuck on the oil filter housing, ive seen it done before, you might not of seen it when u installed the new filter, it shoots oil everywhere.

DRock3d
01-08-2011, 08:16 PM
Change was in 99.5, when the oil level sensor was added to the oil pan. This was slightly after the exterior facelift (door handles, headlights), but before the 2000 model year. There is a wonky vin-split for this.

Oh nice I knew I had more than a last second three beeps of death when my oil pan cracked.

somebody5788
01-08-2011, 08:42 PM

Wonky?? No just better! haha. It means you can have a DBC car with facelift body =D

walky_talky20
01-09-2011, 09:40 AM
Wonky?? No just better! haha. It means you can have a DBC car with facelift body =D

I wasn't referring to the 99.5 split (which is awesome, as you know). The vin-split for the oil pan comes somewhat after that. It is wonky because it has it's own vin-split, independent of the exterior changes. And even wonkier because it is a different split for 1.8T and V6 cars.

yasky777
01-09-2011, 11:56 AM
I went to Ecs Tuning is this the proper part description and number ?

Oil Cooler O-Ring
Audi B5 A4 Quattro 1.8T*
With locating tabs, O-Ring between oil cooler & engine block
Common source of oil leaks.

Mfg Part#038117070A
ECS Part#ES#2776
Manufacturer

walky_talky20
01-09-2011, 12:28 PM
Yep that is it. That number is correct for all B5 1.8T's: AEB, ATW, and AWM.

black99.5a4
01-09-2011, 01:03 PM
00 had the sensor in the pan, that was me7 change, which didnt happen in 99.5

Could of also double o ringed the filter. I.e. the last oil filter o ring stayed on and they screwed your new filter on top of it. it will pour out like that as well.

If its at the oil filter, its the oil filter o ring, if its out of the top of the oil cooler and the oil cooler housing, its the o ring for it.

walky_talky20
01-09-2011, 04:04 PM
ETKA shows the split is in model year 99 and lists the pan with level sensor for the very late AEB's (late 99.5). Not that I've seen one, though. But, we are kind of off on a tangent here, lol.

black99.5a4
01-09-2011, 06:30 PM
ETKA shows the split is in model year 99 and lists the pan with level sensor for the very late AEB's (late 99.5). Not that I've seen one, though. But, we are kind of off on a tangent here, lol.

Just to keep it off one last time.. you can't really follow ETKA in that, b/c it will show you chassis numbers, but those numbers once titled are titled as the yr above it. ETKA even tells you that ME7 engine wiring and ECU will fit a 99.5, which we all know, it wont. Because 99.5 is AEB.. My 99.5 was built LATE 99 (october i believe), no pan sensor, but it does have the oilpan with the indent for it like other 99.5's, just no sensor.

now back to the regularly scheduled programming.

yasky777
01-10-2011, 10:18 AM
What oil do you guys run? 5w40 x-cess?

DRock3d
01-10-2011, 11:33 AM
What oil do you guys run? 5w40 x-cess?

0w-40 Mobil 1 do it or your car will explode.

A62001
01-30-2011, 08:00 PM
get a new oil cooler o ring and tighten it back up both needinganaudi and i have both had the same problem

pull the oil filter and i bet the nut holding the oil cooler in place is loose...

The engine has no oil and there is a large oil puddle under the car. I removed the lower engine shield or cover, there are small oil spot in multiple locations but nothing stands out. I only saw a small drop of oil between the oil filter and cooler. Should the oil leak location be obvious? What should it look like if the oil cooler seal is broken? Should I refill the engine with oil, start the car a try to look for the leaking location? Any ideas?

walky_talky20
01-30-2011, 08:07 PM
I suggest you change the oil cooler o-ring anyway. If it didn't fail this time, it is bound to fail eventually. Make sure the cooler nut is tight, then put on a new oil filter, drain any oil that is still in the pan, and fill it up with new oil and see if she holds together.

A62001
01-31-2011, 05:57 PM
I suggest you change the oil cooler o-ring anyway. If it didn't fail this time, it is bound to fail eventually. Make sure the cooler nut is tight, then put on a new oil filter, drain any oil that is still in the pan, and fill it up with new oil and see if she holds together.

Thank you... unfortunately the oil is coming from the crank shaft area. I guess I just wanted the problem to be the oil cooler.

Thanks again.