PDA

View Full Version : Progress and questions... pics

ThatA4T
01-07-2011, 08:36 AM
As some of you may know, my clutch finally went out on me and since my transmission was bad i decided to pull my engine and trans to do some maintenance and replace transmission and clutch. here are some pics of progress to this point.
http://i52.tinypic.com/2l92o0w.jpg
http://i52.tinypic.com/rgyq1d.jpg
http://i52.tinypic.com/2lnwix.jpg
i have a few questions that i would love personal advice and pictures on. first, i plan on pulling the headlight washer system out at some point but for right now i just wanna either remove the second tank and cap off the first, or just cap off the second tank. which way is more reasonable? another question is about the pcv delete. i would love to remove the pcv (but not the evap at this time) but cant really find clear pictures or instructions on what to do. i have some info from diys but would love more pics and info! im sure there will be more as i go so i will be posting any questions i have as i go thanks in advance.[wrench]

euroazfck
01-07-2011, 08:45 AM
lookin good

NeedingAnAudi
01-07-2011, 09:16 AM
Ok Jordan, this is what I think a catch can setup looks like, since I fail at describing through text lol

http://i582.photobucket.com/albums/ss263/NeedingAnAudi/CatchCanRouting.jpg

Black and Red lines come out of the block from the crankcase breather to the catch can

Green lines go back into the system at the stock location (I've seen some guys just put a little filter here instead or run the line to the bottom of the bay and vent to the ground)

Orange line is the vacuum from the intake manifold at the stock location (I've seen this deleted completely also)

I'm not claiming this is perfectly correct but hopefully for my sake I got it pretty close, hopefully others will reply.

NeedingAnAudi
01-07-2011, 09:19 AM
Also the way I ms painted it there is no valve cover vent since AEB did not have one, but if you did have that vent also you would just tie it into either the black or red line.

ThatA4T
01-07-2011, 09:26 AM
haha yes i love the diagram lol that actually helped a lot more than your text

ThatA4T
01-07-2011, 09:27 AM
wheres your washer fluid tanks? lol did you leave the second one out?

auh
01-07-2011, 09:32 AM
wait, why 2 catch cans? I thought only one was needed...

ThatA4T
01-07-2011, 09:35 AM
i am in need of the coolant pipe (hard pipe) that goes across the intake mani on the top of the engine to the flange on the back of the head... can someone tell me what this is called or where to get it?

Dealer wants $170 for the coolant pipe and that's not happening anyone have one used?

also need a battery/cowl cover if someone has one, greg@DTH is no longer accepting PM's so im not sure where else to get that from and dealer wants $74 for the big cover then another $40 for just the battery cover

NeedingAnAudi
01-07-2011, 09:40 AM
wheres your washer fluid tanks? lol did you leave the second one out?

At the time I was trying to fix a nasty crack in my tank so I had it out of the car. I ended up removing the headlight washer system later but I kept the full tank. Then I found out my sprayers don't work lol.

EDIT: I have a onesie tank not the two like you have.

wait, why 2 catch cans? I thought only one was needed...

Yes only one can is needed I just wanted to show two different setups.

coolgraymemo
01-07-2011, 10:10 AM
good progress...

ThatA4T
01-07-2011, 11:01 AM
come on walky answer my questions! haha i know you know it all! i need that damn coolant pipe more than anything. please if u have one laying around let me know

NeedingAnAudi
01-07-2011, 11:12 AM
Da hell did you do to it?

ThatA4T
01-07-2011, 11:20 AM
haha it got all bent up in the accident a while back and ive had a leak from it the past month or so it doesnt seal tight because its slightly bent. i tried multiple times after the accident to heat it up and bend it to the correct angle but im done trying that haha time to replace it

thinking about ordering 034 aluminum front sub frame bushings and the 034 snub with bracket to replace my apikol snub

ThatA4T
01-07-2011, 05:30 PM
bump can anyone help me find a cheaper coolant pipe (metal pipe) that goes from the radiator across the intake mani to the flange on the back of the head?

wesleyfbm
01-07-2011, 08:12 PM
How was it pulling the motor?

ThatA4T
01-07-2011, 08:18 PM
honestly it was cake haha couple hours first day couple hours second day and about 3 hours the 3rd day with lots of cold days in between that i didnt work lol. but it really wasnt too hard it was all painless work and went really smoothly compared to how i usually feel about working on this car. now the problem is going to be getting it back in and hooked up without forgetting something.. but as usual, i found things to spend more money on so it may take a bit longer than expected with ordering parts and waiting for them to arrive

walky_talky20
01-07-2011, 09:01 PM
- Being a 98 manual AEB, your PCV system should be pretty minimal as it is. I don't think you even have a suction jet pump. You've got a block breather pipe that goes into a "T". One side goes to the Turbo inlet pipe (with the little pancake valve), the other side is a PCV valve that goes right to the intake manifold. Nothing much to do there. If anything, you would add a catch can in-line between the "T" and the pancake valve. You could delete the PCV valve and manifold vacuum, but I wouldn't recommend it.
- If anything, I would recommend you service the PCV system. It is nice and easy to get at with the engine out. Just check it over and maybe clean out the PCV valve and the pipes if you want. Check it for obvious leaks and cracks.
- Sorry I don't have an extra water pipe. $170 is ridiculous, though. FWIW, ETKA says an automatic AEB uses a different pipe. Although I do not know what the difference is, other than the part number. It seems to me that all the B5 ones were the same, but I can't say for sure. What is wrong with yours?

Also, this picture is bothering me. What the heck is that white tank? Is that an extra washer tank on the pre-facelifts or something? I've never seen it, or at least never noticed it:
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b154/walky_talky20/b5tank.jpg

NeedingAnAudi
01-07-2011, 09:32 PM
If anything, you would add a catch can in-line between the "T" and the pancake valve. You could delete the PCV valve and manifold vacuum, but I wouldn't recommend it.

That's what my crude photo shows, with two different common mounting points for the can

Polski
01-07-2011, 09:59 PM
I deleted my second washer reservoir while I had my manifold out.
I just pulled it all out, and capped off (wine bottle cork) the hose that comes out the bottom of the first reservoir.
No CEL, no problem. Im just curious if that secondary tank served as a heat sink or something

To walky: Yes that is the secondary tank for windshield washing fluid, its pretty huge.

ricekikr
01-08-2011, 12:58 AM
Yes that is the secondary tank for windshield washing fluid, its pretty huge.

Which models have this? Does it also have a low level sensor, or is it connected to the main tank? Looks like an excellent spot for a w/m tank =)

ThatA4T
01-08-2011, 01:14 AM
That is the secondary tank for the headlight washers only the pump goes only to the headlight washers
Only as far as I know

walky_talky20
01-08-2011, 01:38 AM
Wow, that must be why my facelift car needs the washer bottle refilled like every 3rd time I use the washer fluid. The original design appears to have a nearly endless reserve!

ThatA4T
01-08-2011, 07:56 AM
I just wish I could use both for my windshield but the lower one only pumps to my headlight washers I thought about having the lower one pump back into the upper one but I'd rather have that extra space

ThatA4T
01-08-2011, 08:01 AM
Which models have this? Does it also have a low level sensor, or is it connected to the main tank? Looks like an excellent spot for a w/m tank =)
It is connected by a hose from the first tank but I do not have a washer fluid low indicator anyway

ThatA4T
01-08-2011, 08:48 AM
im going to get a flywheel from the guy i got my tranny from so i will probably pick up that water pipe from him as well i can post some pics of mine in a little while to show you whats wrong... basically it wont seal tight where it meets that flange because it is bent from when i wrecked my car... in the wreck my motor slammed against the firewall and busted that flange and bent that pipe. i heated up the pipe and got it to fit pretty well but it recently started leaking again so while its all out it would be stupid not to replace it

ThatA4T
01-08-2011, 11:29 AM
cleaned tranny and painted
http://i53.tinypic.com/2h8bnll.jpg
cleaned motor now ready to pull parts for powdercoat
http://i51.tinypic.com/2zfinls.jpg
http://i54.tinypic.com/mt2wlx.jpg

ThatA4T
01-09-2011, 05:27 PM
not that anyone cares to follow this boring stock build haha but i finally decided on a color for my valve cover intake mani and throttle body... they will all be going matte black and my 034 coil cover will be color matched to my car (melange metallic) heres a pic of my bay before to show the changes and ill continue to add up pics and updates regardless of the amout of peoples involvement in this thread haha
http://i54.tinypic.com/i4r790.jpg
i have a black rubber fitting to replace the blue one, and i ended up getting a battery/cowl cover from my brother as a late christmas present. now hopefully i can pick up a flywheel and that coolant pipe from a local person. 034 aluminum subframe bushings and 034 snub with bracket will be ordered tomorrow to finish off my front mounts! That will make my front end complete with all new control arms, tie rod ends, sway bar links, solid axles, 034 street density trans and motor mounts, 034 snub, and 034 subframe bushings. due to the loads of snow we got today, i didnt get any work done and will have to get my parts to powdercoat by mid week hopefully

NeedingAnAudi
01-09-2011, 05:39 PM
not that anyone cares to follow this boring stock build haha

I care I swear!

ThatA4T
01-09-2011, 05:50 PM
I care I swear!
if you really cared youd send me those new st coilovers for free haha i got all this money in this car and still 4x4 i got blisteins already if someone wants to give me free lowering springs :)

walky_talky20
01-09-2011, 06:20 PM
Loving this build! I have questions:

- How did you clean the motor?
- Prep for tranny painting? I hadn't thought about doing that. Did it turn out good?

ThatA4T
01-09-2011, 06:39 PM
Loving this build! I have questions:

- How did you clean the motor?
- Prep for tranny painting? I hadn't thought about doing that. Did it turn out good?

motor was cleaned by degreaser and pressure washing as i usually do... all loose wires and plugs taped off or taped into zip lock bags so they did not get wet. tranny was a pain in the ass haha degreased, then pressure washed, then cleaned with brake clean and a tooth brush haha then stood it up on end like the pic and sprayed with engine enamel. took me about 2 hours to tape off the tranny, it doesnt seem like there is much but i am very picky when it comes to painting as i have made my mistakes in the past. it turned out much better than i was expecting, ill try to get some pics of it in the garage and not the sun next time im in the garage. should i spray oil pan with the engine enamel while its off? or is that a bad idea?

walky_talky20
01-09-2011, 07:01 PM
Nah, I'd just polish the pan. lol, jk.

ThatA4T
01-09-2011, 07:05 PM
haha i know its pointless since no one sees it, but so is the transmission in that case haha but i see it so thats all that matters i suppose

EuroDriven
01-09-2011, 08:23 PM
Good job man, I love stock builds like these where people just clean things up. I would love to tear apart the entire undercarriage on an a4 and just clean and power coat everything so its all clean and like new, super easy and clean to service then.

Elliott
01-09-2011, 08:33 PM
This build is sweet. I'm going a similar direction with mine since I plan to own it FOREVER.

ThatA4T
01-09-2011, 08:43 PM
yup haha this car is here to stay lol and the sad part is i feel like i need to get all this out of the way before i really start to upgrade.. coilovers are next on the list but i know ill find stuff that i "need" before haha

NeedingAnAudi
01-09-2011, 09:43 PM
if you really cared youd send me those new st coilovers for free haha i got all this money in this car and still 4x4 i got blisteins already if someone wants to give me free lowering springs :)

Ok fine, I don't care then [:p]

ThatA4T
01-13-2011, 12:06 PM
just a quick update just pulled my oil pan to replace gasket and clean pick up tube it was 90% clogged but no hunks of sludge as i expected
http://i52.tinypic.com/2mdqidz.jpg
pick up tube screen
http://i51.tinypic.com/xvprs.jpg
sorry for the huge pics :/

ThatA4T
01-13-2011, 01:26 PM
im going crazy haha i somehow either lost one of the oil pan bolts or it was not there to start... i wish i would have counted them when i pulled them all off. i pulled it from my engine in the middle of the garage (lots of open space), put all the bolts together to one side, then cleaned pickup tube and replaced gasket. now im missing one [headbang] i searched everywhere and its not anywhere around where i was working. ive come to the conclusion it was not there to start with

by the way i picked up a flywheel and the coolant pipe i needed and my new snub, and aluminum subframe bushings are on their way. cant wait to get back on the road i now have 0 dollars for powder coat but ill get there haha

ThatA4T
01-13-2011, 03:57 PM
another pic of the trans
http://i53.tinypic.com/rvdnk7.jpg
http://i53.tinypic.com/2ch0saf.jpg
http://i51.tinypic.com/2vi5tmr.jpg

NeedingAnAudi
01-13-2011, 06:42 PM
another pic of the trans
http://i53.tinypic.com/rvdnk7.jpg

Scratch. FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!

walky_talky20
01-13-2011, 07:14 PM
Wow, your cylinder head looks very bad. The varnish is extremely dark. It would be obvious that at some point in it's life it was subjected to very long oil change intervals using non-synthetic oil. I've only seen one other 1.8T which was that dark, and that head is junk because the cams locked up and it bent all the valves. I would suggest you begin using Auto-RX. It is a good thing that you checked the pickup.

ThatA4T
01-13-2011, 09:01 PM
What a surprise lol another thing on my car that was not well maintained from the previous owner :( what is auto rx any links? I'm down to try anything at this point

ThatA4T
01-13-2011, 11:03 PM
How often should I use it?

$teady$upreme
01-13-2011, 11:19 PM
I used it only once through out the 11 years i have the car.

ThatA4T
01-13-2011, 11:57 PM
Whatd you think?

ThatA4T
01-15-2011, 10:12 AM
http://i55.tinypic.com/2qny2kn.jpg

ThatA4T
01-15-2011, 12:32 PM
goona buy 2 bottles of auto rx to do two treatments hopefully i can clean out the sludge :/

ThatA4T
01-17-2011, 11:38 AM
Need this answered ASAP please help! I'm about to sandblast my intake mani but I need to remove the plastic pieces that screw in the the fuel rail pushes into. Do these just screw out? It looks like a big Allen. Also are they reuseable? The do need to come out before powder coat I'm sure they will melt in the oven if not correct?

ThatA4T
01-21-2011, 11:15 AM
have another question... really need an answer please. can someone tell me how to remove the front subframe bushings so that i can install the new aluminum ones i have from 034

ThatA4T
01-21-2011, 08:19 PM
nevermind i got it im done posting in here haha

walky_talky20
01-21-2011, 08:55 PM
Sorry I didn't reply, I've been a little tied up lately and must have missed this thread.

I would do 2 cycles of the Auto RX and see how it goes.

On the intake manifold injector seats, I've never removed them. I would assume that you need to remove them for powder coating, though. I do not believe that they are reusable. I seem to remember something about them breaking upon removal or some-such. Which would make sense for a piece of plastic that has been subjected to so much heat. Interestingly ETKA does not list this part for the A4 1.8T. They do list it under the Jetta 1.8T:
http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/06b133555h/ES5289/

ThatA4T
01-21-2011, 09:21 PM
i assumed they needed to be removed as well but they are subjected to a high heat at engine temps so i wasnt sure. but they came out just fine and did not even come close to breaking... there was no seal of any kind like i assumed they may have had so im planning on reusing them. well see how it goes. you wouldnt have any tips to smoothing the intake mani would u? doing it by hand sucks and the sand blaster wont touch it really :/

NeedingAnAudi
01-21-2011, 09:44 PM
Get that elbow grease out man

ThatA4T
01-21-2011, 09:53 PM
ya... haha trying to avoid that lol

ThatA4T
01-22-2011, 02:25 PM
so change in plans, valve cover may be going red, while the intake mani is still going black and coil cover will be black as well. waiting till monday to borrow a press to press in my subframe bushings so i can finally roll my car out into the yard to pressure wash the bay and hopefully get ready to reinstall the engine. i ended up pulling and caping off the secondary washer tank and i think i may hide the power steering resivor under the cowl cover next to the ecu box. any advice on extending the hoses would be greatly appreciated.

ThatA4T
01-25-2011, 06:35 AM
so one more thing to set me back i bent the f*** out of my subframe trying to press in the subframe bushings from 034. i got 6 in fine i was on number 7 of 8 when it happened. now im on the hunt for a new subframe. are they the same between pre facelift and facelift or do i need to find a prefacelift subframe to replace it?

ThatA4T
01-25-2011, 09:48 AM
Bump really need a quick answer have a few subframes lined up but they are all facelifts will they work?

jsquillz22
01-26-2011, 08:04 AM
I care I swear!

x2

ThatA4T
01-26-2011, 08:55 AM
so when i get the new subframe i decided imk going to powder coat it red as well then when i do the rear subframe bushings ill powdercoat it red as well.

ThatA4T
01-30-2011, 09:07 AM
cars on hold for a bit need to get more cash for rear main seal and pilot bearing as well as the new subframe and powdercoating. cant wait to get this thing back together but i may as well take the time to make sure i do it right and replace the necessary parts

NeedingAnAudi
01-30-2011, 10:03 AM
Yes! I really wish I had done more when I had the engine out. Hell I didn't even clean the bay [:(]

ThatA4T
01-30-2011, 10:11 AM
haha ya i dunno what you were thinking! haha but money is the biggest issue ive got over 3 grand in parts in the past few months now

SeekB00st
01-30-2011, 10:35 AM
haha ya i dunno what you were thinking! haha but money is the biggest issue ive got over 3 grand in parts in the past few months now

Oh don't bitch.

This is coppyed straight out of a spread sheet. Its not even been updated latley.

TOTAL MATERIAL PRICE PLUS LABOR $8,867.88
TOTAL INCLUDING BEFORE HYDROLOCK $12,872.88

I hydro locked my car just over a year ago.

ThatA4T
01-30-2011, 11:02 AM
haha were on the same page for sure i got over 8k in recepts from maintenance and the wreck lol not as much as you but im well on my way haha jost for fun...
http://i51.tinypic.com/2v16ved.jpg

ThatA4T
01-30-2011, 11:11 AM
and i havent really even started modding yet lol i just need coilovers asap

NeedingAnAudi
01-30-2011, 12:22 PM
Oh don't bitch.

This is coppyed straight out of a spread sheet. Its not even been updated latley.

TOTAL MATERIAL PRICE PLUS LABOR $8,867.88
TOTAL INCLUDING BEFORE HYDROLOCK $12,872.88

I hydro locked my car just over a year ago.

Their's your problem [:D]

walky_talky20
01-30-2011, 12:53 PM
My brother painted and polished his intake manifold. He polished only the top flat surface, the rest was painted satin black. Started by cleaning the thing, it was filthy. Then sanded using a rotary air tool to take off the rough layer on the top. Then block sanded using progressively finer papers, then used a high speed polisher tool. Turned out pretty good. It was a lot of time just to get that easy top portion done, though. After it was polished, it was masked off and painted.

ThatA4T
01-30-2011, 06:21 PM
i have a buddy who did his entirly by hand and spent 40 hours on it haha so im looking at quite the project haha ill get done eventually i got time to get some more money together to finish anyway

ThatA4T
02-02-2011, 05:36 PM
rear main and pilot bearing should be here soon but still need a damn subframe. im going to pull all the cruise control stuff, evap, and pcv all this weekend hopefully. i decided screw it ill hang onto them if i ever need to pass emissions but right now im registered in a ton ith no emission testing

ThatA4T
02-23-2011, 10:46 AM
just a little update im still flat broke but i should be getting my new subframe this week if all goes as planned. i think i finally found one. evap and pcv will stay now i guess since fort collins decided they needed emission testing again. does anyone have experience with reinstalling the evap and pcv to pass emissions? i still plan on pulling the cruise control still and following through with powdercoat no matter how long it takes to me save up for it haha i have everything i need except fluids powdercoat and subframe so hopefully ill get her back togeter soon!

ThatA4T
03-22-2011, 09:12 AM
http://i53.tinypic.com/rby8t2.jpg

Corrado_Guy
03-26-2011, 09:47 AM
That looks really good, I can see you have spent a lot of time on this and it really shows in the pics. I really don't know where you live you you have to watch these catch cans because if you are in a really cold area they can freeze up and this could cause issues. I have seen a number of people have problems when it freezes in the really cold winters so I would think about this. Same with the evap system, you really gain nothing by removing it other than cleaning things up under the hood but it is bad for the environment. Venting fuel straight to atmosphere will cause a lot of pollution and it also allows moisture to go back into the tank. Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of these tree huggers and at full boost by tach and fuel gauge move at about the same speed but unless there is a big advantage I would just leave that in place.

If you are dead set on getting rid of that stuff then you have to look at how they inspect the car, if there is a visual inspection then you are pretty much boned. If they just check the computer for readiness then you may have a chance if you leave the solenoids in place and this may fool the system. I don't know about your area but we have emissions testing where I live and you just pull up (on newer cars) and they check for readiness and if enough are ready then it passes. My car is running a Unitronic tune with larger injectors and so on and it won't pass even though it shows readiness because when they interrogate the computer it doesn't get the right response. Then they take their mirror and notice the 3" exhaust comes out of the turbo and there is nothing between it and the single muffler in the rear and it gets a double fail. Then I go to an authorized shop and say my car failed and I pay them money because it will never pass and they give me an exemption for one year and I go back to the emissions testing place and pay to have it tested for another year so they can ensure it really did fail a second time. Now everyone has my money and the car is no better off than it was before but I can insure and drive it for another year. So that may be another option, check if there are any exemptions to the system and see if you can find a way around it which typically costs you more but you don't have to change anything on the car.

ThatA4T
03-27-2011, 08:36 AM
as of now, i still have my pcv and evap in place, i was due for an emission test when i re registered my car and i already took it in and passed. so im thinking it will all come out now. my emission test was incredibly easy to pass in parker co. they did not even pop my hood. checked smog and check engine lights and thats about it. thanks for all the good info, it does get fairly cold in co but i know a few people running with evap and pcv vented to the air and have no problems.

steffie905
03-30-2011, 06:04 PM
red valve covers are always a safe bet, looks good...but eventually take that pcv/evap/sai out lol

un1ko
03-30-2011, 06:50 PM
http://i53.tinypic.com/rby8t2.jpg

Looks good!

ThatA4T
03-30-2011, 08:21 PM
pcv and evap are coming out soon!

un1ko
03-30-2011, 08:26 PM
pcv and evap are coming out soon!

I'd be cool if you show the steps you take with some pics [up]

bikerbob951
04-24-2011, 07:47 PM
I'd be cool if you show the steps you take with some pics [up]

x2

ThatA4T
04-25-2011, 10:55 AM
still have evap and pcv in place i keep going back and forth on removing it or not