PDA

View Full Version : sudden issues with car-

dcampana
01-06-2011, 02:26 PM
thanks for reading. yesterday on my way home my car just died. was in regular traffic, rolling around 10 mph. just died. the car will not stay running unless i give it gas and stay above 2500 rpm. i have a feeling the cat is clogged. i checked hoses and did not see any issues, but will not be able to do a boost leak test until tonight. maybe a vac or boost leak is my issue. oh i dont have VAG com, but will hopefully do a scan tonight with a local AZ'r

cliff notes:
so will not idle, exhaust smells like $h!t (bad cat/ o2 sensor?), no power...

just trying to get a feel from the crowd.

new fuel filter (less than 7500 miles)
new plugs, MAF at the same time

nunya
01-06-2011, 02:28 PM
thanks for reading. yesterday on my way home my car just died. was in regular traffic, rolling around 10 mph. just died. the car will not stay running unless i give it gas and stay above 2500 rpm. i have a feeling the cat is clogged. i checked hoses and did not see any issues, but will not be able to do a boost leak test until tonight. maybe a vac or boost leak is my issue. oh i dont have VAG com, but will hopefully do a scan tonight with a local AZ'r

cliff notes:
so will not idle, exhaust smells like $h!t (bad cat/ o2 sensor?), no power...

just trying to get a feel from the crowd.

new fuel filter (less than 7500 miles)
new plugs, MAF at the same time

Sounds like a vacuum leak.

--dillon

dcampana
01-06-2011, 02:39 PM
Thanks Dillon,

i will scour the engine bay this afternoon/ evening.

nunya
01-06-2011, 02:46 PM
Thats probably better plan the replacing the cat blindly.

dcampana
01-06-2011, 02:48 PM
very true. i have a tp, so no cost will be incurred, just time. vaccum leak would be SOOO much easier though!

dcampana
01-07-2011, 08:18 AM
well checked for leaks, nothing.

unplugged MAF and was able to drive, stayed out of boost... seems to be the logical answer as the car will idle now. i will get scanned i hope today.