PDA

View Full Version : 2.8 Passenger Manual Seat to Power?

jdB5
01-04-2011, 01:42 PM
Hi everyone,
would really appreaciate everyone's expertise and greater knowledge
I just purchased a 99 prefacelift 2.8 B5 (first Audi and very happy) and my drive seat is a power seat, but the passenger (for the wifey) does not. it has manual dial adjusting seats. I searched around and couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.

I want to know if I can swap in a power seat from another B5 and what will be needed? what are my options?

Dre_audi
01-04-2011, 02:27 PM
I thought about this a few times but... i figure the best option would be to get a u.k drivers seat seat because the buttons would be on the correct side and that would keep it simple but as for wiring and getting it shipped over here uhhh... it might just be easier to accept the manual labor lol

Euromike
01-04-2011, 02:35 PM
Swap cant be done without serious fabrication.

1) the track for the manual seat is welded to the body of the car
2) there is nothing to screw the power seat into, the bolt holes are not tapped on manual seat cars.
3) the wiring to power the auto seat is not there

i spend a few days playing with the idea and tore into it when my brother wrecked his car, but quickly ran into these huge issues.

revolution337
01-04-2011, 04:52 PM
Swap cant be done without serious fabrication.

1) the track for the manual seat is welded to the body of the car
2) there is nothing to screw the power seat into, the bolt holes are not tapped on manual seat cars.
3) the wiring to power the auto seat is not there

i spend a few days playing with the idea and tore into it when my brother wrecked his car, but quickly ran into these huge issues.

1) The center bracket is very easy to cut off with a grinder wheel
2) Just drill a hole through the floorboard and use a long bolt with a nut to secure the front of the power seats
3) This is the only tough part for a 99. I have a 01, so the wiring was already there for power seats.

Those first two steps aren't very difficult at all. Between cutting the center mounting bracket and drilling the holes for the seats rails, I spent about an hour. The hard part for the OP is the wiring.

jdB5
01-05-2011, 09:50 AM
thanks man^. thats good news. anyone successfully do this on a 99? or have DIY instructions for the wiring?

somebody5788
01-05-2011, 10:32 AM
I thought about this a few times but... i figure the best option would be to get a u.k drivers seat seat because the buttons would be on the correct side and that would keep it simple but as for wiring and getting it shipped over here uhhh... it might just be easier to accept the manual labor lol

Um what?

The facelift ones are dual power front standard I think or at least its an option lol. Both of mine are power.

jdB5
01-05-2011, 12:16 PM
That's great for the facelift model owners. But I'm stuck with my 99. And would like to turn my front passenger to a power seat because it came as manual on mine

stevejones19
01-05-2011, 08:51 PM
That's great for the facelift model owners. But I'm stuck with my 99. And would like to turn my front passenger to a power seat because it came as manual on mine

He was giving that replay to the U.K. seat option...

But it's not all THAT bad. I scored some really nice s4 front seats for my 96 that i need to put in still. Won't be an incredible pain. I just need to take the car to a welding shop to get the center mount bracket cut off, and some nuts welded in to the bottom side of the holes that are already there. And i have to do the wiring for power. Is that seat heated alreeady? On my 96 it has heat, so all it needs is power.

Check this thread out. http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/271668-S4-Power-Seats-in-my-A4-(fabrication-install-pictures)

I'd really like to hear how people have wired power over there. I'm not an electrician, so i don't know exactly how to go that route. Some say to come directly off the 75x post under the dash, and i've also seen someone say something about splicing off the cig lighter power...