PDA

View Full Version : Fuel gauge reading empty non-stop

Polski
01-02-2011, 12:54 PM
Hey guys,

So I was fixing the housing in my gaz tank about 2 months ago (took everything out of the gaz tank except the housing)
When I put everything back, the gaz needle read only empty. (Before it worked fine)

What I did:
2-3 times took out the unit and inspected it. 1) cleaned the reader, 2) made sure the ground is good, that the wire is not thorn. / Nothing
-Made sure the floater is not stuck down low. /Nothing
-Filled up the tank and unplugged the battery for a few hours. / Nothing
-Checked the fuse. / Nothing

Sometimes, the needle with rise up to the Empty mark, and the screen will read 10-50 km until empty.

Is it possible that the unit broke just by being taken out and put back in the next day?

I'm stumped, please help me.

bandit
01-02-2011, 01:20 PM
sounds like you need a fuel sending unit since you took it out and FUBAR'd it.

Polski
01-02-2011, 01:36 PM
I don't see how my actions would have broken the unit beyond repair, can you please be more precise as to why the unit would be no longer good?

stahnky
01-02-2011, 01:49 PM
Ya sounds like the sending unit, mine did the same thing. When I took the original out of the tank and inspected it all seemed fine, but after comparing it to the new one the wiring was pretty corroded...

hiwords1
01-02-2011, 04:46 PM
idk how you would've broken it but from your description, that's what seems to be bad. you can hook it up to the wiring and use a volt meter or multimeter to see if you get any readings when you move the floater up and down.