PDA

View Full Version : WindshieldS replacement-some jerks broke my front and rear glasses!!!!!

samleong
01-01-2011, 04:30 PM
As title said, some pathetic, pig-headed jerks has vandalized my car and I need a front and rear windshield replacement. I have searched and found out that most people recommended OEM (because they have glass coverage, but I don't, I only have liability insurance).

So the questions from a budget limited student are:

Are there any good aftermarket glasses? PPG, Guardian?
Safelite's online quote is front $172 and rear $224, I pressume at this price they will give me the aftermarket ones?
Also, what about those used auto glass shops?

Thanks in advance![up]

seanj130
01-01-2011, 04:37 PM
On cars more than 3 years old they do not get new OEM windshields. You will get an aftermarket part whether you have glass coverage or not.

That is a decent deal.

Best regards,
Sean.

mysman
01-01-2011, 05:47 PM
Sekurit glass and Sika adhesive, remember the windshield is a structural member. If the shop doesn't understand, go elsewhere.

terraflata
01-01-2011, 07:56 PM
All windshields have to pass safety regulations, and in that sense the quality is all relatively the same. Don't be fooled and by an OEM unit....the fitment and strength won't be better. PPG (although I believe they changed their name a few years back) is good. Guardian as well, but usually more expensive. Getting a used back glass is not a bad idea at all. They are incredibly easy to take off without breaking, but you should pay for a new windshield. It's worth it.

DonnieDark0
01-01-2011, 08:41 PM
From what I understand you ether get oem or you get leakage.

terraflata
01-01-2011, 08:53 PM
From what I understand you ether get oem or you get leakage.

A leaky windshield is due to poor installation. A badly joined seal of urethane, lack of primer, lack of windshield prep solution can all be factors in leaking. An OEM windshield can't cure poor working abilities.

auh
01-01-2011, 09:54 PM
There was a shop in Gurnee that quoted me 140 for the front. I held off because I'm trying to see if I bring my own glass, how much different places in Chicago will charge.

samleong
01-01-2011, 10:01 PM
I have two big spider web cracks in the front, so I guess can only drive to nearby shops, that makes it hard to find a good place/price. The worst case is to have Safelite coming to my house and have it done for $400+fee and tax.

sr20det
01-02-2011, 07:46 AM
Man, you wouldn't catch me with a Safelite windshield. I have seen soo many wavy, crappy windshields from them... PPG, Pilkington, and Sekurit all make quality glass. I just had to replace my wifes windshield in her Avalon last year, PPG Soundmaster. The bill sucked, Good luck to you.

Sandeman
01-02-2011, 08:12 AM
A leaky windshield is due to poor installation. A badly joined seal of urethane, lack of primer, lack of windshield prep solution can all be factors in leaking. An OEM windshield can't cure poor working abilities.

x2

Sandeman
01-02-2011, 08:14 AM
Man, you wouldn't catch me with a Safelite windshield. I have seen soo many wavy, crappy windshields from them... PPG, Pilkington, and Sekurit all make quality glass. I just had to replace my wifes windshield in her Avalon last year, PPG Soundmaster. The bill sucked, Good luck to you.

and they are CLOWNS! the guy that installed it on my previous MK5 GTI had the decency to cut my leather steering wheel and leave as if nothing happened. his manager has a nice call back from me, in which they paid to get it repaired. good thing out of this, i found out about a top notch upholstery shop

somebody5788
01-02-2011, 08:16 AM
Mine has a safelite. I thought it was OEM till I cracked it and asked the glass guy which one he was going to install and he said it was he same one.

DRock3d
01-02-2011, 11:29 AM
Guns aren't too expensive and they work great as glass coverage.

mysman
01-02-2011, 11:34 AM
These guys are certified by Sika Adhesive Systems, follow AGRSS standards, use "OEM" windshields, and have locations in Chicago:

http://www.glassusa.com/cms/Industry+Leadership/14.html

blacka4
01-02-2011, 12:31 PM
i had a PPG windshield installed about 4 yers ago in my car. No problems

4squared
01-02-2011, 07:05 PM
I used safelite a few years ago and the install was very good.

terraflata
01-02-2011, 08:31 PM
Its like I said before.....the guy doing the install will ultimately be the biggest factor in whether or not your windshield is properly installed.

samleong
01-03-2011, 06:48 PM
Thanks for the inputs. I have the glasses done by a private shop (they have 4 locations in chicago) for $223. Yes, thats 223 including tax for the front and rear, the rear window is an used tho. Looks like they use PPG or Pilkington glass. I though I would give it a try. The installed glasses look intact and they do offer warrenty on worksmenship. They have facebook and twitter page, so if something goes wrong, there is no lack of places to complain.

auh
01-04-2011, 09:07 AM
who did it?