PDA

View Full Version : APR intake, other intakes? How do i get it to whistle? Also BOV questions.

NoMoreCrankwalk
12-27-2010, 02:00 AM
New to the Audi scene, came from dsm's some i'm used to my car sounding like a semi truck when it spooled and then the beautiful sound of an hks ssqv. I was looking at APR's carbanio intake, says it increase sound of turbo diverter valve or something like that. Is that the 1.8t's version of a blow off valve? What would need to be done to run a blow off valve without affecting performance?

What other intakes would you guys recommend? I want to here it spool up, i'm addicted to the whistle.

NoMoreCrankwalk
12-27-2010, 02:03 AM
Also could anyone tell me why on my laptop the audizine mobile site is coming up? And how do I subscribe to a thread? Or is there a place i can see mine?

bez101
12-27-2010, 02:08 AM
search if what your goin to be told

NoMoreCrankwalk
12-27-2010, 02:34 AM
no search function on the mobile site that I can see

dumpedb5
12-27-2010, 02:45 AM
Sell the Audi and buy another dsm. The only way to get a loud spool on a 1.8t is if you go BT. It will never be very loud with a k03. There is no way to put a bov on a 1.8t or any other vw/Audi engine without making it run like shit because unlike most other forced induction engines they use a diverter value that recirculates the pressure other then releasing it out. So as i said, if you want that loud whoosh sound then sell the Audi and get something else. The most you could do to get close to the sound you are looking for is to slap a cone filter on and upgrade the DV (Forge is best imo) and one last thing... some people will probably tell you to get a forged splitter valve but that will also make your car run rich.

dumpedb5
12-27-2010, 02:56 AM
Regarding your second post. There should be a little button that says full site in the top right corner. You subscribe to threads by going to thread tools at the top right of your first post. You can also access all of your posts and threads from your profile page.

Jurjen
12-27-2010, 07:29 AM
Our cars don't like BOV's - make less power with them. (-15hp on a full bolt-on 1.8t) If you must have one though, consider a hybrid like this :

http://www.namotorsports.net/detail.cfm/part_cd/FMDVSPLTR

I thought Dsm's had diverter valves from the factory as well?

Diverter valves recirculate the pressurized air (boost) when you close the throttle to shift gears, and loop it back in after you get back on the throttle. Two reasons for this, gives better performance, you don't feel turbo lag as badly, and helps with compressor lock.

A good description here : http://www.eurosportacc.com/diverter_bypass_blowoff_valves_VF_turbosmart.htm

somebody5788
12-27-2010, 01:34 PM
Sell the Audi and buy another dsm. The only way to get a loud spool on a 1.8t is if you go BT. It will never be very loud with a k03. There is no way to put a bov on a 1.8t or any other vw/Audi engine without making it run like shit because unlike most other forced induction engines they use a diverter value that recirculates the pressure other then releasing it out. So as i said, if you want that loud whoosh sound then sell the Audi and get something else. The most you could do to get close to the sound you are looking for is to slap a cone filter on and upgrade the DV (Forge is best imo) and one last thing... some people will probably tell you to get a forged splitter valve but that will also make your car run rich.

Misinformation ^

Most cars INCLUDING DSM's use DV's. ALL forced induction cars with a MAF use them unless they just don't run any pressure relief. And they all suffer the same "problems" from running a BOV. My buddy with a DSM is always telling me they say "he cant run one" well the fact is that you can get away with it causing minimal to no problems you just have to know what you are doing. Not just bolt on and go.

An intake with a Forge DV is what most people do. It gives plenty of noise from the DV and you will be able to hear the turbo a little. But the stock K03 just doesn't scream like a DSM with a 16g haha

dumpedb5
12-27-2010, 03:34 PM
An intake with a Forge DV is what most people do. It gives plenty of noise from the DV and you will be able to hear the turbo a little. But the stock K03 just doesn't scream like a DSM with a 16g haha

I'm pretty sure i said that....

lowandslow4now
12-27-2010, 04:11 PM
I ran a BOV it was a Forge 004 NO issues EVER. You need a BOV that stays closed at idle. For example I ran my my upgraded DV for a short time without recirculating it and it cause issues with idling and cold starts due to it being partially open at idle.

walky_talky20
12-27-2010, 07:17 PM
You can certainly run a Forge "Splitter" valve (half DV, half BOV) without running rich if you know what to do. On 2000+ cars, this involves bypassing the N249 valve as well as adjusting the splitter correctly. If you just slap it on there, it will sound cool, but the car will run like crap. Almost crappy enough to throw a code.

mikehawk666
12-27-2010, 08:26 PM
forge are loud

biketsai
12-27-2010, 08:47 PM
Just to clarify the misinformation here, you can run a BOV on the right setup! I currently run the forge 004, and I don't think it is loud at all.

yuriy
12-27-2010, 10:55 PM
Not true. I have a k03s and it spools damn loud. It makes a similar whistle, or even more of a whine like a supercharger would make, which i havent heard on any b5 before but then again my k03s came off a newer passat or something of that nature as i was told. I am all against running a bov on our engines but you cant say it will run like crap if you do. It will just be rich between shifts, which in the long run will clog up your cat, that is if you have one. I have a forge splitter valve and i dont see how it could possibly make your car run rich. the split of the re-diverted vs vented air is 80/20, not nearly enough to make a difference.

NoMoreCrankwalk
12-28-2010, 01:52 AM
Not true. I have a k03s and it spools damn loud. It makes a similar whistle, or even more of a whine like a supercharger would make, which i havent heard on any b5 before but then again my k03s came off a newer passat or something of that nature as i was told. I am all against running a bov on our engines but you cant say it will run like crap if you do. It will just be rich between shifts, which in the long run will clog up your cat, that is if you have one. I have a forge splitter valve and i dont see how it could possibly make your car run rich. the split of the re-diverted vs vented air is 80/20, not nearly enough to make a difference.

What intake are you using? What else contributes to the sound?

Our cars don't like BOV's - make less power with them. (-15hp on a full bolt-on 1.8t) If you must have one though, consider a hybrid like this :

http://www.namotorsports.net/detail.cfm/part_cd/FMDVSPLTR

I thought Dsm's had diverter valves from the factory as well?

Diverter valves recirculate the pressurized air (boost) when you close the throttle to shift gears, and loop it back in after you get back on the throttle. Two reasons for this, gives better performance, you don't feel turbo lag as badly, and helps with compressor lock.

A good description here : http://www.eurosportacc.com/diverter_bypass_blowoff_valves_VF_turbosmart.htm

DSM's use recirculated blow off valves but even recirculated mine was pretty loud. If you putt the maff somewhere after the blow off valve can't you run one to atmosphere? thats how dsm's are.

thegoodhumorman
12-28-2010, 07:55 AM
If you are running a BOV you will get a split second where you are running very rich because the MAF has already accounted for that air. If you must have the sound, you need to relocate your MAF so it is after your BOV. Probably on an aluminum FMIC pipe, after the core. Make sure you has a section of straight pipe before and after though, to take turbulence out of the MAF so it gets a more accurate reading. Then you can sit in your driveway and "romp" on the gas all day long to get that sound. Let me know if this makes sense. I am very knowledgeable, but not so articulate.

thegoodhumorman
12-28-2010, 07:56 AM
Sorry for the second post, but if you get a test pipe (remove cat) then you will notice a large gain in turbo noise.

flashburn
12-28-2010, 08:45 AM

This is pretty accurate. So much mis-information on the forums from people without the experience so it is hard to filter through it all. Many times people just repost what they read somewhere and it isn't always accurate. This is one of the biggest debates on the forums so this subject is also ridden with mis-information.

I came from DSM's too, and moving the MAF isn't as easy on the 1.8t. You can run a BOV on these cars but it almost always throws a check engine light for it without a tune for the ecu to write out the check. Usually you'll find this on big turbo files or very custom tuned cars. Essentially, not a bolt on solution.

However, on my 2001 AWM a BOV works on the car without any other accompaniment. The 2001 AWM ( and maybe the 2000 ATW as well but I forget what has what now) motor has a MAF and a MAP that both meter airflow. This is the only logical conclusion I can make for why my 2001 AWM doesn't throw a code with a BOV. The MAP must be accounting for the pressure drop and acting like a check to the MAF. I'm not certain if this is fact, but it is the only logical conclusion I can make.

I run a forge splitter now 80% recirculation and 20% vent to the atmosphere and it isn't loud at all - barely noticeable with windows up. If you want loud do two things: 1) Get a cone filter and heatshield intake setup. Search the forums for other people's setups. It has been done a million times so no need to re-invent the wheel. 2) Run a test pipe instead of a cat - beware this will throw a code unless you get a flash that writes out the secondary O2 (most popular 'chip tunes' do this).

If that isn't loud enough for you, get a forge splitter and run it 80/20 like me. You'll get some "woosh" sound out of your cone filter intake and some louder turbo sound from your exhaust.

I'm pretty old now and I am over the Fast and Furious mods but I must say a forge splitter, cat delete pipe, cone filter with heat shield and a chip tune creates a very enjoyable driving and listening experience. This whole combo will be no where as fast or as loud as your DSM with a boost controller but it will be a well balanced "enthusiast" ride.

Let me be the first to welcome you to the forums and warn you that without a couple grand, this car isn't going to be as fast as your DSM. But it will be WAY more enjoyable to cruise around in.

SeekB00st
12-28-2010, 11:34 AM
Welcome to the Audi world. You can say hello to eletrical gremlins and good bye to crank walk.

Search my threads. My most recent thread has info on a bov relocation.

yuriy
12-28-2010, 12:25 PM
What intake are you using? What else contributes to the sound?
I just have a cone filter directly on my MAF sensor (Make sure you use a dry, and not oiled filter as it will ruin your MAF). My dad also has a B5, same year and also the k03s version, however when the turbo spools up on his it just makes a loud sucking sound like a vacuum cleaner or something. As i mentioned before the reason my turbo makes a loud whistling noise when it spools past 5-6 psi is most likely because it came off a newer car. With a test pipe you will hear the hot side of the turbo even when not in boost, but it isnt very loud at all. Also read over what flashburn said, as that information is pretty much spot on.
On a side note, does anyone have a DIY for bypassing the N249 valve, ive seen it posted here before but i cant find it.

.Mad Hatter.
12-28-2010, 01:25 PM

Yikes, that can just be your little secret...

http://www.vimeo.com/18036355

I have had 2 Hyperboost DVs, the Spitter, and now the 004. The DVs both worked fine, but to be honest, I wanted the sound (meh). The splitter developed a leak, I sold is as such and the buyer presumably fixed it as I have not heard anything negative (he bought it knowing it was leaking, FWIW).

Observations with the BOV: idle can be a little off when cold, but it's not PERFECT due to my tune anyway (only when cold, warm starts are no issue). It seems as though the throttle response after shifts is very...sudden (is the best way to put it). I have just adapted my driving style (it only really does it when I granny shift anyway.)

Car= 97 2871R elim, TAPP 415cc, VR6 MAF

jamespav
12-28-2010, 02:29 PM
That sounds awesome.

TurboKits.com
12-28-2010, 02:59 PM
More boost = better whistle. A good flash program should help there. That with an intake and DV and your in the game...

What other intakes would you guys recommend? I want to here it spool up, i'm addicted to the whistle.

XPK LINE
12-28-2010, 04:00 PM
Im running the carbonio with the forge splitter right now and it works great, i had the forge 004 when i had the k03 and it worked most of the time but i had alot of codes for running rich or lean but, as far as sound u wont get much from the stock turbo. i would just go k04 if your just looking for a mild perfomance upgrade and sound!!

NoMoreCrankwalk
12-28-2010, 07:29 PM
Im running the carbonio with the forge splitter right now and it works great, i had the forge 004 when i had the k03 and it worked most of the time but i had alot of codes for running rich or lean but, as far as sound u wont get much from the stock turbo. i would just go k04 if your just looking for a mild perfomance upgrade and sound!!
Did the carbanio make any difference?

I just have a cone filter directly on my MAF sensor (Make sure you use a dry, and not oiled filter as it will ruin your MAF). My dad also has a B5, same year and also the k03s version, however when the turbo spools up on his it just makes a loud sucking sound like a vacuum cleaner or something. As i mentioned before the reason my turbo makes a loud whistling noise when it spools past 5-6 psi is most likely because it came off a newer car. With a test pipe you will hear the hot side of the turbo even when not in boost, but it isnt very loud at all. Also read over what flashburn said, as that information is pretty much spot on.
On a side note, does anyone have a DIY for bypassing the N249 valve, ive seen it posted here before but i cant find it.
So what type of cone are you using? I took of the plastic cover and looked into the stock intake a little bit and it looked like using those spectre universal filter kits would be difficult. I'm assuming the lines going to the intake are vacuum lines? Not used to the hard ones if that is what they are.

This is pretty accurate. So much mis-information on the forums from people without the experience so it is hard to filter through it all. Many times people just repost what they read somewhere and it isn't always accurate. This is one of the biggest debates on the forums so this subject is also ridden with mis-information.

I came from DSM's too, and moving the MAF isn't as easy on the 1.8t. You can run a BOV on these cars but it almost always throws a check engine light for it without a tune for the ecu to write out the check. Usually you'll find this on big turbo files or very custom tuned cars. Essentially, not a bolt on solution.

However, on my 2001 AWM a BOV works on the car without any other accompaniment. The 2001 AWM ( and maybe the 2000 ATW as well but I forget what has what now) motor has a MAF and a MAP that both meter airflow. This is the only logical conclusion I can make for why my 2001 AWM doesn't throw a code with a BOV. The MAP must be accounting for the pressure drop and acting like a check to the MAF. I'm not certain if this is fact, but it is the only logical conclusion I can make.

I run a forge splitter now 80% recirculation and 20% vent to the atmosphere and it isn't loud at all - barely noticeable with windows up. If you want loud do two things: 1) Get a cone filter and heatshield intake setup. Search the forums for other people's setups. It has been done a million times so no need to re-invent the wheel. 2) Run a test pipe instead of a cat - beware this will throw a code unless you get a flash that writes out the secondary O2 (most popular 'chip tunes' do this).

If that isn't loud enough for you, get a forge splitter and run it 80/20 like me. You'll get some "woosh" sound out of your cone filter intake and some louder turbo sound from your exhaust.

I'm pretty old now and I am over the Fast and Furious mods but I must say a forge splitter, cat delete pipe, cone filter with heat shield and a chip tune creates a very enjoyable driving and listening experience. This whole combo will be no where as fast or as loud as your DSM with a boost controller but it will be a well balanced "enthusiast" ride.

Let me be the first to welcome you to the forums and warn you that without a couple grand, this car isn't going to be as fast as your DSM. But it will be WAY more enjoyable to cruise around in.
I don't need it crazy loud or anything just loud enough to hear from inside the car with the windows up. I was thinking about going with apr exhaust because thats the only system I've seen for my car. I read in a thread it's best to just use down pipe and the cat-back part... is this true? I don't want my exhaust to bee too loud.

But thanks for all the help guys you've been so much help. Feel free to post up some links to part sites, APR is all I have seen so far, it would be nice to have some more options than just apr.

ricekikr
12-28-2010, 07:58 PM
Didn't read the whole thread.

Use any cone filter setup with a forge diverter valve. You'll hear it spool up (not sure with a ko3, but definitely with a 50trim) and hear the "pssh" sound. Not loud, but can definitely be heard inside the cabin with the windows up.

Re, bov, any turbo car can use a bov, BUT, it either has to use a bov that's shut @idle (anti-stall) or be tuned for the extra (un-metered) air coming in from the bov or run maf-less. It can be done, it won't hurt performance as long it remains shut under boost but it also won't gain performance. The only time a bov can actually help is when the diverter valve is insufficient, which causes flutter (not sure if it affect throttle response) which causes turbo failure.

yuriy
12-28-2010, 08:03 PM
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?2507093
Thats the diy intake im using.

NoMoreCrankwalk
01-01-2011, 04:20 AM
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?2507093
Thats the diy intake im using.

Nice I want to do that. Anyone have a right up for a heat shield for the intake? Do you think the 7" would fit with one or bolt on even?

yuriy
01-01-2011, 09:46 AM
http://www.blinktekdesign.com/
They have really good heat shields. I actually made one that looks exactly like the ones they sell out of aluminum and then put some heat insolating tape on the filter side so no heat gets through. It looks just like the blinktek one and it makes he biggest difference too.

damgrmn
01-01-2011, 07:39 PM
I have a bov on my a4 don't know much about it but never had any problems I have pictures on my pg3 on car domain I have been running it like that now for 3 years. I also have an air intake I made and heat shield that actually works to pictures on the same page my bov is on.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2960852/1997-audi-a4-sedan-4d

NoMoreCrankwalk
01-02-2011, 07:55 PM
http://www.blinktekdesign.com/
They have really good heat shields. I actually made one that looks exactly like the ones they sell out of aluminum and then put some heat insolating tape on the filter side so no heat gets through. It looks just like the blinktek one and it makes he biggest difference too.
Nice i'm going to get one of those. So what would i need to run that 7" K&N cone on my car? Also what's a splitter?

yuriy
01-02-2011, 09:04 PM
Well take your air filter box apart and unscrew the actual maf housing. Make sure that the air flow indication arrow in the side of the housing points towards the turbo and then clamp that side to the intake hose. Then clamp any filter with a 2.75" opening to the other end of the maf.
A splitter is a bov/dv hybrid that recirculates 80% of the air and releases 20% thus giving you the sound of a bov while still retaining the function of a dv so you wont run rich/throw any codes.

Brown
01-23-2011, 02:38 PM
stock DV+cone filter and k04 turbo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kAShcRoKyE

EuroBoostAddict
08-24-2018, 09:34 PM
Regarding your second post. There should be a little button that says full site in the top right corner. You subscribe to threads by going to thread tools at the top right of your first post. You can also access all of your posts and threads from your profile page.

U can go Maf-less as I did in my Audi A4 and gti and ran hks ssqv with a short ram intake running Stage 2 at 21lbs, sounds like a semi and you have a bov with no issues

Seerlah
08-25-2018, 04:55 AM
Haven't seen a necro bump in quite some time. Nice to know they are still around.