PDA

View Full Version : Is AWM motor 400awhp capable?

Nas0629
12-25-2010, 06:54 AM
Hey guys. I own a 2001 AWM A4.

I wanted to know if i can big turbo AWM with Garrett GT3076R or bigger and get 400awhp out of it.

Or should i just buy a AEB motor and build that?

Any help would be much appreciated.

revolution337
12-25-2010, 07:37 AM
The block itself is capable of that power, but you are going to need stronger internals, no doubt. At the very least you will need rods.

Nas0629
12-25-2010, 07:48 AM
Right. I will be changing out all the internals on whatever motor i work on. What about the cylinder head? I know that AWM has small ports.

Nebone
12-25-2010, 08:02 AM
Just replace rods and it will make 400 all day long.

adr3naline fix
12-25-2010, 08:33 AM
I've got a 01 AWM @ ~305awhp. Throughout the years of posting here & meeting with others, I would not trust the AWM north of 350awhp on a daily basis. I would toss in some rods & go nutz.

JumboBlack1.8
12-25-2010, 10:00 AM
The 06a block is more than capable, and generally easier to build (better clearances for larger crankshafts). IMO, your ability to daily drive ANY 1.8T over 400whp depends largely on the health of your tune, not the engine code.

Lazer Viking
12-25-2010, 10:02 AM
The 06a block is more than capable, and generally easier to build (better clearances for larger crankshafts). IMO, your ability to daily drive ANY 1.8T over 400whp depends largely on the health of your tune, not the engine code.

QFT

wesleyfbm
12-25-2010, 01:29 PM
I've got a 01 AWM @ ~305awhp. Throughout the years of posting here & meeting with others, I would not trust the AWM north of 350awhp on a daily basis. I would toss in some rods & go nutz.

You dont have upgraded internals with your awm at 305awhp?

Nas0629
12-25-2010, 02:19 PM
ok so if i decide to build my current AWM and get the head ported. would i still use the AWM intake manifold or the AEB intake manifold? im not sure but i believe they are interchangeable.

i also read on some threads about a AEB head on a AWM block, but never seen it done.

Anyone know of someone that has done it?

JumboBlack1.8
12-25-2010, 06:49 PM
Tons of people have put AEB heads on 06A blocks. However, the AEB and AWM intake manis bolt up the same, but they are not interchangeable. The port sizes need to match. The AEB intake ports are far larger.

I'm not sure how many B5ers have done this configuration, but nearly every guy with a built B6 (i.e. all 06A blocks) runs an AEB head. Makes a big difference

adr3naline fix
12-25-2010, 06:53 PM
You dont have upgraded internals with your awm at 305awhp?

No, and anyone that tells you that you need to is on crack. I've had a 2871R for 30k+ miles, daily driven. Reliable, no sludge, purs.

Seerlah
12-26-2010, 06:05 AM
^Not on crack. People have blew rods with a GT2871R and GT2860RS turbo applications on meth. The question is how long till your rods actually decide to snap. I would not be suprised if your rods are slightly bent, at the current moment. I am peicing together my turbo kit and am planning T3 GT2860RS .63 A/R. Would I trust a T3 GT2871R .63 A/R with the way I drive on stock internals? Nope. It would just be a matter of time before the rods snapped. Also, tunes play a major role. I will be running a 630cc Eurodyne tune, and they are very agressive. Some tunes are built for be safe to run on stock internals (ie Revo and APR Stg 3), while others are made to get the most out of the turbo.

To the OP, the AWM is more than capable of 400+whp. You would just need to take the proper route. Rods would be the bare minimum. But with stock displacement on a GT3076R, you will hit full spol anywhere from 4100-4500 rpm. That does not leave much room for the power band if stretching the rpm to roughly 7.5k rpm. You can build the head to stretch the power band out to 8.5k rpm and that would be more enjoyable to drive. There are other ways to quicken spool, though (ie twin scoll, cams, upped displacement, etc). My advice would be to search the proper routes and go from there.

black99.5a4
12-26-2010, 06:18 AM

Have you dynoed this or just a butt dyno?

Nas0629
12-26-2010, 02:05 PM
Thanks for the input seerlah. When you say build the head to stretch the power band do you mean getting it ported with new cams, valves etc. or just parts? on the AWM head.

terraflata
12-26-2010, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the input seerlah. When you say build the head to stretch the power band do you mean getting it ported with new cams, valves etc. or just parts? on the AWM head.

He means high lift, high rate valve-spring set Ti retainers so you can rev safely to 8500 or so and have a have a larger RPM limit. Different cams will allow you to take advantage of higher rpm power potential as well.

mkturbo3
12-26-2010, 04:40 PM
how much would the stock awm head take? would it be fine not upgrading the head with only doing rods with a gt3076R, with a good tune would it be safe to try to push the limits of a gt30?

black99.5a4
12-26-2010, 04:46 PM
a lot of guys are running stock heads. the heads dont blow up, you just cant rev a stock head past 7200, you'll float the valves. if you stayed stock cams and valves but went with at least springs/retainers, you can get to 7800-8000 with it.

terraflata
12-26-2010, 04:48 PM
how much would the stock awm head take? would it be fine not upgrading the head with only doing rods with a gt3076R, with a good tune would it be safe to try to push the limits of a gt30?

The only thing that would HAVE to be done on an AWM would be inconel exhaust valves instead of the sodium filled ones that come stock. Building a head isn't meant to keep it from breaking (unless of course you are going beyond the stock RPM thresholds) different things have different effects. Cams will affect HP and TQ characteristics, porting will optimize air flow, high lift springs with Ti retainers will allow higher revving safely. Its not like if you had a 400+AWHP engine that your gonna start throwing cams or bending valves.

Seerlah
12-26-2010, 05:36 PM

You already have your answers on what I meant by building a head. As for porting the head, not really worth when you can just swap on an AEB head (97-99.5 B5 A4 1.8t). The intake ports are much much larger. Get the AEB intake manifold to match. But the exhaust ports are also larger. So, depending on what exhaust manifold you go with can def deter performance with the exhaust gases causing turbulance (just learned the exhaust manifold I have may cause this issue for those with an AEB). All that would be needed is to get things port matched. No biggie. Or build the small port head, which has been proven to show incredible gains if built well.

Check out this link to see what can be done on a small port head. The B6 A4 has the same engine as the AWM, just a different name (not sure what work was done on it, though. could have had a porting job for all I know): http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/386165-THE-Ultimate-Build-Thread-(Jeff-PSi-Concepts)

^I am also going to be running his exhaust manifold.

Dan[FN]6262
12-26-2010, 06:48 PM
seerlah, you're always going to be doing something. why don't you just shut the hell up and do it then??? you're always giving out quazzi correct info, and then give people advice and tell them what you're "going" to be doing.

/rant

also, FUCKING SEARCH OP. ALL of this shit has been more than covered.

Nas0629
12-26-2010, 07:57 PM
5857;6022733']seerlah, you're always going to be doing something. why don't you just shut the hell up and do it then??? you're always giving out quazzi correct info, and then give people advice and tell them what you're "going" to be doing.

/rant

Why don't you shut the fuck up and get the fuck out of here. If you don't like this thread then don't post. So what if it has been covered before. Sometimes threads get way off topic and questions don't get answered. People are here to learn about there cars. So go be ignorant somewhere else. Fucking jackass.

Lazer Viking
12-26-2010, 08:03 PM
thats a way to earn respect...

adr3naline fix
12-26-2010, 08:42 PM
Have you dynoed this or just a butt dyno?

Dyno sheets hanging on my wall

champion
12-26-2010, 09:09 PM
Its not like if you had a 400+AWHP engine that your gonna start throwing cams or bending valves.
http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt258/m1racing_2009/LOL.jpg

5857;6022733']seerlah, you're always going to be doing something. why don't you just shut the hell up and do it then??? you're always giving out quazzi correct info, and then give people advice and tell them what you're "going" to be doing.

/rant

http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt258/m1racing_2009/toldU.jpg

Why don't you shut the fuck up and get the fuck out of here. If you don't like this thread then don't post. So what if it has been covered before. Sometimes threads get way off topic and questions don't get answered. People are here to learn about there cars. So go be ignorant somewhere else. Fucking jackass.
http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt258/m1racing_2009/funny-pictures-your-cat-is-going-to-anger-management-classes.jpg

spinnin_four
12-26-2010, 09:19 PM
it really disappoints me to see that audi would put a cast crank in a turbo motor like the awm...which i didnt believe until i saw it for myself on my a4...i understand that they hold up and dont generally break..but damn..it used to be when VW/audi build a turbo motor...they build a brick shit house! look at the old 5 cyl's with all forged internals pistons with huge area from the top ring land to the top of piston, big rods, wide journals and so on.... especially for how much these cars cost new...u think u would be getting something

Dan[FN]6262
12-26-2010, 09:41 PM

</3 [=(]

I'm sorry I hurt your e-feelings, go be butthurt on the vortex [rolleyes]

but seriously, this is best advice I can give you. click (http://www.audizine.com/forum/search.php)

[:)]

champion
12-26-2010, 09:42 PM
^^^cuz they produce 170hp stock and cut the cost of production. Also, if you check the tech specs from audi, it says forged crankshaft with 5 main journals. Shouldnt we all start a class action law suit asking for our forged crank plus the installation??? LOL

J Ozzie
12-27-2010, 01:27 AM
No, and anyone that tells you that you need to is on crack. I've had a 2871R for 30k+ miles, daily driven. Reliable, no sludge, purs.

Sick thats the route im going. My Gay fucking clutch (southbend is eating shit atm) So ill be switching to a CM Fx400

grillhands
12-27-2010, 07:25 PM
What ever you decide to do, add about 1k on to all the other stuff you are going to need to support all that HP. These are the essentials, rods,(at the minimum), clutch, injectors, afpr, wideband, suspension, tune, axles (ive snapped two already and i'm way under 400), fuel pump, stiffer mounts, full exhaust, front mount. The 1k should be added to all this because you are going to run into shit or notice things that need to be fixed when you are wrenching on the car. You might want to change your t-belt when you have the front end apart and that's close to $200. It's not an easy task to get a car ready for 400awhp but it can be done. I might be missing a few things but that is basically all the shit i had to purchase to get everything running smoothly. Even at 300awhp, the stress will find the weakest link on the car and snap the shit out of it[:D]

Edit- Keep in mind this is assuming that you'll be doing all the labor as well.

gmx
12-27-2010, 07:59 PM
The only thing that would HAVE to be done on an AWM would be inconel exhaust valves instead of the sodium filled ones that come stock. Building a head isn't meant to keep it from breaking (unless of course you are going beyond the stock RPM thresholds) different things have different effects. Cams will affect HP and TQ characteristics, porting will optimize air flow, high lift springs with Ti retainers will allow higher revving safely. Its not like if you had a 400+AWHP engine that your gonna start throwing cams or bending valves.

Correct.
With increased cyl pressure and especially if IATs are not properly managed, those sodium valves are not going to like the heat cycling over time.
It's pretty uncommon but I've seen a few guys with low rev limits (ie 7000-7500rpm) BT/BATs drop a stock valve. It happens.

J Ozzie
12-27-2010, 11:40 PM
Yeah ill do most of it myself. I want a respectable 350AWHP i mean even that is too much for City driving..
For now ill be going K04 or ill just save the money. Im going to be putting in suspension, New Clutch, New Control Arms, My BBK, Almost done my custom Exhaust, FMIC and some sick 18's

Ive been looking for the B5 Thread on the wheels and suspension but cant seem to pull it up because the search always freezes.

JonathanParke
01-09-2011, 01:33 PM
Yeah ill do most of it myself. I want a respectable 350AWHP i mean even that is too much for City driving..
For now ill be going K04 or ill just save the money. Im going to be putting in suspension, New Clutch, New Control Arms, My BBK, Almost done my custom Exhaust, FMIC and some sick 18's

Ive been looking for the B5 Thread on the wheels and suspension but cant seem to pull it up because the search always freezes.

350AWHP? I'd be happy with 250+ with some matching torque. What do I have to do to get there? Any suggestions?

Dan[FN]6262
01-09-2011, 03:50 PM
350AWHP? I'd be happy with 250+ with some matching torque. What do I have to do to get there? Any suggestions?

a good place to start is with the search function.

Oceanside
01-09-2011, 07:01 PM
I have IE rods and otherwise a stock AWM, AGP D42 around 33 psi and I was keeping up with my friends horse power freaks m3, everything was great until I just melted my #4 piston like a piece of chocolate in summer somehow so like said before run a wide band a/f meter and by the way the bolts, gaskets, replacement parts when you put your rods in are about $1000 on Top of the cost of your rods... and I Do my own work

champion
01-09-2011, 07:06 PM
5857;6062133']a good place to start is with the search function.

lol

grillhands
01-10-2011, 03:09 PM
I have IE rods and otherwise a stock AWM, AGP D42 around 33 psi and I was keeping up with my friends horse power freaks m3, everything was great until I just melted my #4 piston like a piece of chocolate in summer somehow so like said before run a wide band a/f meter and by the way the bolts, gaskets, replacement parts when you put your rods in are about $1000 on Top of the cost of your rods... and I Do my own work

How much hp were you pushing?

Lelix
01-10-2011, 03:26 PM

+1
Full GT28RS daily driven for over 30,000km at 23psi or so. Completely stock internals. Never a hiccup,the car is honestly more reliable than stock. AFR is spot on. It's all in the tune. It DOES put alot of wear and tear on other components, but thats to be expected!

movement360
01-10-2011, 05:20 PM
5857;6023015']
but seriously, this is best advice I can give you. click (http://www.audizine.com/forum/search.php)

LOL... I love how it takes you to advanced search...I was expecting a thread that you looked up.

5857;6062133']a good place to start is with the search function.

ROFL.... I agree sometimes people should search more often first but hey some questions are very specific and the exact info can't be found on previous threads even though the subject may be orbiting the OP's original question...

Dan[FN]6262
01-10-2011, 05:42 PM
yes, I could understand a thread being started asking specific questions about maybe bearing tolerances and piston ring gaps, how to blueprint and balance your own block, ect. but just a blanket question that could easily be answered through a search, that's annoying and clutter the boards with information that's readily attainable, and sometimes causes misinformation to be spread from what a person "thinks" might be the correct answer. know what I mean?

this is not aimed toward anyone.

movement360
01-10-2011, 05:50 PM
^^ absolutely

A4 TSCHUSS
01-10-2011, 05:55 PM
This thread is HILARIOUS, oh and EVERYTHING can be found by searching that has been asked in here. People are just to damn lazy. Hell half the stuff can be found in stickies between the b5 and b6 a4 section.

Dan[FN]6262
01-10-2011, 05:57 PM
that was my point

Turbwhistle
01-10-2011, 06:41 PM
ok, everyone i saw u were talking about upgrades so, what if u dont want to put in a bt but u upgrade injector, chip, exhaust, test pipe, turbo intake pipe, short shifter, inter cooler, exhaust manifold and intake manifold, and a clutch. does it become something other then a stage 3 even with out a turbo of is it worth it just to put a bt?

grillhands
01-10-2011, 07:14 PM
Stages doesn't matter. It's all about having fun modding your car and enjoying it. I have no clue what stage i'm in and i don't think i really care what people label my car as. You mod the car because that's what makes you happy.

Turbwhistle
01-10-2011, 08:00 PM
like ricky bobby always says "i wana go fast" lol i think thats y we all are here for that one reason. if not only the speed and fun then the sweet look of a lowered audi. the sound of the car and the feeling of the purrrring engine and some people here only think about people asking question about how to go fast. my buddy said that i should just go like stage 2/2+ what ever that means, cuz i got noooooooooo clue lol

grillhands
01-10-2011, 08:04 PM
A gt35r is a stage 1

Dan[FN]6262
01-10-2011, 08:24 PM
A gt35r is a stage 1

that's why I got a 6262, it's like stg 1.4.53

grillhands
01-10-2011, 08:31 PM
5857;6067115']that's why I got a 6262, it's like stg 1.4.53
[:)]

turbo kraut
01-10-2011, 09:05 PM
no, that is version 1.4.53

viceprp
01-11-2011, 03:35 AM
OP, even if you do decide to do rods and gt3076 - if you want to even think about 400AWHP you will have to add meth to that list. You will need atleast 830 inj and a solid tune. I'm going to be going with 830 uni with meth w/ conservative timing and hoping for ~380AWHP.

And for Oceanside to melt a piston, he must be pushing 500+CHP.. which is one wicked one.8

Dan[FN]6262
01-11-2011, 05:52 AM
no, that is version 1.4.53

thank you for the correction [up]

Dan[FN]6262
01-11-2011, 05:54 AM
OP, even if you do decide to do rods and gt3076 - if you want to even think about 400AWHP you will have to add meth to that list. You will need atleast 830 inj and a solid tune. I'm going to be going with 830 uni with meth w/ conservative timing and hoping for ~380AWHP.

And for Oceanside to melt a piston, he must be pushing 500+CHP.. which is one wicked one.8

eehhhhhh.... I would think a lean condition would've melted the piston before 500chp. I should have been around 500chp with my 5857, and never had a problem. last week when I pulled the head, everything still looked 100% fine. I'm on stock pistons, btw lol

BattleWagon
05-18-2013, 08:29 AM
this thread is why [az] so much luls

Seerlah
05-18-2013, 12:35 PM
Just for bumping an old thread, my gt2871r is installed with a built engine...done by me. And me and Dan are cool and converse via text on occasion. That is why Audizine is a nice place. Times change [cool].