PDA

View Full Version : Bad turbo?

trbo4
12-23-2010, 01:11 PM
I have a 2000 A4 1.8T with 114k on the clock. I have replaced alot of maint. items and now I think my turbo is acting up. It makes a strange noise on startup and at highway speeds. Kinda hard to explain but it loud starting up and a woo sound at hwy speeds. Now it seems to misfire in every gear in low rpms. The cel will blink and then go off. I know this is typically a coil pack issue but I think its more than that. i am going to get it scanned this weekend to find the codes for sure but I wanted an opinion on the symptoms of a turbo on its way out.

Thank you.

DonnieDark0
12-23-2010, 01:17 PM
from what I understand, sound is usually the sign of a bad turbo. you tube blown turbo clips and you will get an idea.

awdjunkies
12-23-2010, 01:26 PM
from what I understand, sound is usually the sign of a bad turbo. you tube blown turbo clips and you will get an idea.

Right. Try and youtube "Turbo/Dentist drill" IF that's what you are hearing/experiencing.

trbo4
12-23-2010, 01:53 PM
The sounds are very familiar to what I heard on the youtube clips of the audis. Just to double check, would there be any specific vag com codes associated with it or just sound and performance? Also does anyone know what other models ko3 would fit the ATW motor?

DonnieDark0
12-23-2010, 02:34 PM
whats your budget like?

i would upgrade that to a bigger turbo and since you dont have to pull the motor ***cough s4 cough*** do all the labor yourself.

dont replace ko3 with ko3 unless your seriously strapped for DOE. and do it yourself, it is a peice of cake man. use that money towards an upgrade instead of labor!

=)

trbo4
12-23-2010, 03:50 PM
This car is a daily driver that gets alot of miles put on it so I just want it back to stock. I have other cars to mess with, but I get your point. [:)]

1.8beasT
12-23-2010, 05:08 PM
If it is like a whoosh and a bucking feel to it it's definately the turbo. My shaft bolt came off on my k03 and had the same symptoms. You can find a used k03 for cheap so do it up.

DonnieDark0
12-23-2010, 09:13 PM
yeah , used ko3s are so cheap! if you cant find one , find ko4 used. try vwvortex also. goodluck