PDA

View Full Version : Oil light coming on after i beat on my car randomly....

audikid66
12-23-2010, 11:32 AM
so i just replaced my oil pressure sensor and all was good for about 2 weeks til few days ago and then again this morning my oil pressure light came on (oil can and 3 beeps) it wont happen if i dont rip on the car i was going steady 120 on highway for like 4 miles then ripped it off exit and then it came on... then wen it came on a few days ago i did a pull with a friend and it came on4 mins later.. it comes on very randomly and i always stop immediately and check my oil n make sure all is good.. i think a possibility is my catch can setup all i have is a hose off the port in middle of the block going to bottom of catch can.. i need a ported valve cover so i can go to the side of the can there and the other side go from the block and plug the bottom.. but could i be losing oil pressure after doing high rpm pulls maybe i have some blockage in the screen wen i demand high flow? i didnt think it should have any of that since the bottom end was rebuilt not more then 18k miles ago... i guess i need to hook up an oil pressure gauge n go from there jus seein if this happened to anyone else... thank you in advance and merry xmas

bez101
12-23-2010, 11:41 AM
your pick up pipe could be getting blocked
if it keeps comeing on id have the sump down and check the pick up pipe
ones its fully blocked it can take the turbo in a matter of minutes

coolgraymemo
12-23-2010, 11:47 AM
hook up an oil pressure gauge n go from there

true.

audikid66
12-23-2010, 01:11 PM
no reason its getting blocked fresh engine build less then 20k miles.. next oil change im going to poke sum holes in the screen

DRock3d
12-23-2010, 01:39 PM
no reason its getting blocked fresh engine build less then 20k miles.. next oil change im going to poke sum holes in the screen

I don't think I would do that, it's there for a reason....

coolgraymemo
12-23-2010, 03:18 PM
next oil change im going to poke sum holes in the screen

I wouldn't recommend.

Wait for Walky, he'll give you great advice on what you need to do...

walky_talky20
12-23-2010, 07:12 PM
The first step when you get an oil pressure warning is to check the oil pressure with a gauge. That will tell you how to proceed. In your case you have ruled out a faulty sender, but not really a wiring or cluster problem. I really suggest you check the pressure, unless there are other obvious signs of low pressure, like lifter noise, etc.

If you find the pressure to actually be low, your next step is to pull the pan and clean or replace the pickup tube. If it were mine, I'd just replace it, they are pretty cheap. It is kind of a big job, so if you were planning any other maintenance like a clutch job or t-belt job, or other stuff, it is nice to do it together with other things. I'll be dropping the pan when I do my 5-speed swap for sure. Just for peace of mind.

SeekB00st
12-23-2010, 09:24 PM
Any chance you smacked an oil pan?

yeaa... I didn't read shit.

somebody5788
12-24-2010, 05:32 AM

This is exactly why it could be this. Sometimes glue that they use to seal the oil pan or other parts gets pieces broken off that then float around in your oil pan and occasionally up into the screen.

DO NOT poke holes in it. This will just cause those particles to block oil passages going into your engine and good bye rebuilt engine.

Dan[FN]6262
12-24-2010, 07:29 AM
when I glanced at the title of this, immediately what came into my head was "after I got beat up on MTVs Jersey Shore..."

lmao