PDA

View Full Version : Alcantara--Where to get it?

Fender0122
12-23-2010, 07:32 AM
Does anyone know where to go to get a couple yards of black alcantara? I've tried talking to upholstery shops and looked around the forums and even ebay. I think my best bet would be an automotive upholstery place, but dont know of any and would like to shop around to make sure I'm getting a good deal. Any ideas?

I'm also looking for some good red plaid, but cant find any thats more of an upholstery material versus typical fabric.

Thanks!
Connor

somebody5788
12-23-2010, 07:46 AM
Does anyone know where to go to get a couple yards of black alcantara? I've tried talking to upholstery shops and looked around the forums and even ebay. I think my best bet would be an automotive upholstery place, but dont know of any and would like to shop around to make sure I'm getting a good deal. Any ideas?

I'm also looking for some good red plaid, but cant find any thats more of an upholstery material versus typical fabric.

Thanks!
Connor

I'd love to know this too. I found 1 place online but it was $100 a yard.....

I'm looking to do my entire interior hehehe. I don't feel like cheaping out with fabric suede.

Matt C
12-23-2010, 08:02 AM
http://www.gulffabrics.com/

They are the OEM distributor. Not cheap either...

flashburn
12-23-2010, 08:34 AM
You need to go to a specialty sewing and craft shop. Not JoAnn Fabrics but something that specializes in serious sewing machines and fabric by the roll as opposed to yard. Here we have a place called 'Stitches and Yarn' - an old mom and pop that can order whatever you want.

somebody5788
12-23-2010, 08:37 AM
You need to go to a specialty sewing and craft shop. Not JoAnn Fabrics but something that specializes in serious sewing machines and fabric by the roll as opposed to yard. Here we have a place called 'Stitches and Yarn' - an old mom and pop that can order whatever you want.

What does it typically cost at a place like that?

A4Rob
12-23-2010, 09:09 AM
real alcantara will be about $100 per yard

somebody5788
12-23-2010, 09:18 AM
real alcantara will be about $100 per yard

Eh figures.

Fender0122
12-23-2010, 11:02 AM
Sweet thanks guys--I figured I'd be about $100/yd--I'll prob try some local places before I go online--Luckly I only need a sq yard to do all the trim pieces on the doors and dash

SeekB00st
12-23-2010, 09:18 PM
Sweet thanks guys--I figured I'd be about $100/yd--I'll prob try some local places before I go online--Luckly I only need a sq yard to do all the trim pieces on the doors and dash

Good luck with all that. You'll need it.

Slavchob
12-24-2010, 01:00 PM
Dude. Just go to Jo Ann and get the suede they sell there. I just got a whole yard of Liz Claiborne suede for 7! Alcantera is thick, and has a lil padding to it. The suede on the other hand is very thin, and will do the job. It'd be a lotttt easier with the suede due to the complexity of the beltline trims curves, while as the alcantera will be a lot harder. Idk, just my .02 Good luck

A4Rob
12-24-2010, 07:07 PM
Dude. Just go to Jo Ann and get the suede they sell there. I just got a whole yard of Liz Claiborne suede for 7! Alcantera is thick, and has a lil padding to it. The suede on the other hand is very thin, and will do the job. It'd be a lotttt easier with the suede due to the complexity of the beltline trims curves, while as the alcantera will be a lot harder. Idk, just my .02 Good luck

There is a reason why OEM fabric is Alcantara. It doesn't look cheap and will last a long time.

ThatA4T
12-25-2010, 12:52 PM

ive had suede from normal fabric stores wear out in weeks... didnt even make it a month... do it right