PDA

View Full Version : Help flood in my car!!!!!!!!

Shhmaudi
12-21-2010, 07:39 PM
Hey guys I live in So cal and we are getting rocked by some crazy storms! non stop rain! There are suppose to be tornadoes out in the ocean tomorrow! Straight madness

So please help me! I looked in my back seat today and there is a puddle behind the driver seat and I lifted up my floor mats where my pedals are and its completely soaked there too! Passenger side is fine. Dry and not wet at all...

What drains are clogged? Sunroof? what do I need to do? I am going to keep searching in the mean time..

Thanks for the help I really dont want any extensive water damage

seanj130
12-21-2010, 07:52 PM
Check out where the hood release cable enters the car near the the ECU.

Best regards,
Sean.

EErie B6
12-21-2010, 08:02 PM
not sure about the b5, but in the b6 its common for the drain under the battery to clog and cause water to come in the cabin... just a thought.

Shhmaudi
12-21-2010, 08:06 PM
okay

Shhmaudi
12-21-2010, 08:10 PM
Also does it matter if my rain tray is slightly off the window? Where I live gets really hot and it kinda warped it a little bit.

seanj130
12-21-2010, 08:14 PM
Also does it matter if my rain tray is slightly off the window? Where I live gets really hot and it kinda warped it a little bit. Haha, that you prevent alot of water from getting into the engine bay..

Best regards,
Sean.

EErie B6
12-21-2010, 08:16 PM
are you talking about the stick on vent visors? they shouldn't matter as long as the window is up.

Edit:
oh, the one covering the battery.... it not being in place is certainly not helping matters.

Shhmaudi
12-21-2010, 09:10 PM
Oh man I just popped the hood and looked at my hood pop gasket and f bomb... I have a 4ga power wire, boostline (4 Boost gauge), and then the hoodline cord.. I am about to silicone that up right now.. Thank god for wet vacs... hope this solves my problem.. I am about to blow out my sun roof drains with my air compressor and pull the battery real quick..

stevejones19
12-21-2010, 09:27 PM
if you have space heaters, i'd suggest putting one in there. Underneith the actual carpet layer is, in some spots, a few inches of foam, and then the actual metal floor of your car. That can take a long time to dry out even after a shop vac.

seanj130
12-21-2010, 09:47 PM
Oh man I just popped the hood and looked at my hood pop gasket and f bomb... I have a 4ga power wire, boostline (4 Boost gauge), and then the hoodline cord.. I am about to silicone that up right now.. Thank god for wet vacs... hope this solves my problem.. I am about to blow out my sun roof drains with my air compressor and pull the battery real quick..

Not going to help. Silicon will only make it really messy when you have to pull it out. you need to run the wire through the firewall, and same with the boost line. And good luck trying to get that rubber groumet back into place. I made the same mistake you made when i first got my car and I learned very quickly. (Although I did it during the winter so I didnt notice the water and made it more difficult to find out until the rain in the spring!)

Best regards,
Sean.

sonnybr4life
12-21-2010, 10:42 PM
Check the dtain under the battery and the drain behind the round black box next to the ecu

Shhmaudi
12-22-2010, 12:33 AM
Update: I siliconed the f out of the hood pop grommet. In between the wires and all. Pulled out the battery and took out all the leaves and shot my pressure washer down it. Thats clean. Used my air compressor and shot 100psi into both of my sunroof drains.. I sucked up about Half a gallon of water out of my carpet! And I just drove on wet roads with a light sprinkle and my carpet is back to being soaked again... I am starting to think its a leak under the car???

Please help my carpets are only wet on the drivers side front and back.. Trunk is dry and so is the passenger side front and back

All of my searches have lead to unclear answers...

sonnybr4life
12-22-2010, 12:55 AM
Update: I siliconed the f out of the hood pop grommet. In between the wires and all. Pulled out the battery and took out all the leaves and shot my pressure washer down it. Thats clean. Used my air compressor and shot 100psi into both of my sunroof drains.. I sucked up about Half a gallon of water out of my carpet! And I just drove on wet roads with a light sprinkle and my carpet is back to being soaked again... I am starting to think its a leak under the car???

Please help my carpets are only wet on the drivers side front and back.. Trunk is dry and so is the passenger side front and back

All of my searches have lead to unclear answers...

Did u clean the other drain? Sometumes water gets in from under the ecu casing through the fuse box by firewall... did u also check the steering column?

Cristisor
12-22-2010, 04:11 AM
You can remove the drivers seat, lift up the floor mats and start watching for the place where the water comes in. I did like this and I found that the hood release cable was the problem.
You can try to put some dry paper in different corners of the car and check which one gets wet.

the_pirate
12-22-2010, 05:25 AM
Sounds like the sunroof drains. There is a drain that goes to the front and back on both sides. They commonly get clogged and leak when there is super heavy rain. I feel for you Californias, Florida may have some of the nastiest summer weather and the occasional hurricans but at least we don't have to worry about mudslides, tornadoes, earthquakes, forest fires, and Nancy Palosi.....

Shhmaudi
12-22-2010, 07:46 AM
Did u clean the other drain? Sometumes water gets in from under the ecu casing through the fuse box by firewall... did u also check the steering column?

How do I check the steering column? what am I looking for? Do I have to pull out the ecu to get to that drain?

seanj130
12-22-2010, 09:53 AM
Like I said before, you can not use silicon in the hood release, it will still leak like a mother ******. Now you need to get all of that silicon out of there, remove the wires and run them somewhere else if you want the leaking to stop. Give that a shot and let us know how it works.

Dry out your carpet, take a cup of water and dump it on the hood release cable, you will see if pool up and slowly drain down it. Then vacuum your carpets again.

Best regards,
Sean.

dozanti
12-22-2010, 10:11 AM
Just dealt with this. Try pulling the back bumper off and doing the rear sunroof drains. I had a leak where my cable for my hood came out of the fire wall. What fixed mine after doing all the drains, the battery drains and using gasket maker to seal the hood cable, was taking the ecu out of its box and disconnecting it. There is a whole that the ecu has in the bottom of the box to run down into the car. I used gasket maker around that and guess what, its dry now! good luck !
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd320/minitruckin330/1999%20Audi%20A4/IMG00169-20101129-1403.jpg
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd320/minitruckin330/1999%20Audi%20A4/IMG00167-20101129-1402.jpg

Shhmaudi
12-22-2010, 06:55 PM
Update: I got rid of all that silicone and used gasket maker and its now water tight. So that rules out the hood latch cable. I pulled the bumber off and ran cable through the drains and on the driver side where the leaking is. It wouldnt come out the drain where the sunroof is. Instead it would get jammed and sounded like it was hitting metal.. So I am assuming that the drain popped off and water is leaking down my B pillar and soaking the carpets..

However, I ran the cable on the other side(passenger) where it is dry and it wouldn't go out the other sunroof drain either. In the write up it looks like the guy was able to to push it all the way through..?

my car is a 98 a41.8t

I got an envelope in the mail 2yrs ago saying there was a recall for water leakage in the car. I am going to the dealer tomorrow to get to the bottom of it.. wish me luck

Shhmaudi
12-23-2010, 03:26 PM
Update: I poured water down all my drains and i pinpointed the leak to the left rear sunroof drain. It drains out the back AND down my b pillar! WTF what does that mean? If it drains out the back bumber AND down the pillar????

Please help! what do I do to fix?

sonnybr4life
12-24-2010, 11:12 PM
sunroof is a recall.. go to the audi dealership and get it fixed for free!