PDA

View Full Version : Air bag deployed

champion
12-21-2010, 07:34 AM
I was thinking about purchasing a car that had both front airbags deployed. I know I need to replace them, the one on the steering wheel is simple, but the passenger side one looks tricky. Does the whole dash need to be replaced because when the passenger side bag comes out doesnt it rip through the dash and leave a slit? anyone have experience with this? any info would be appreciated.thanks

somebody5788
12-21-2010, 07:42 AM
I was thinking about purchasing a car that had both front airbags deployed. I know I need to replace them, the one on the steering wheel is simple, but the passenger side one looks tricky. Does the whole dash need to be replaced because when the passenger side bag comes out doesnt it rip through the dash and leave a slit? anyone have experience with this? any info would be appreciated.thanks

I hope the car is like $500

You will also need a new air bag control module. That then needs coded to the car as well. It's very hard to get salvage yards to sell these parts used since they are safety items and also because 90% of the cars there have had them deployed anyways.

champion
12-21-2010, 07:46 AM
it would most likely turn out to be a headache and expensive to fix im assuming. how much is the airbag control module and both airbags going to run?

somebody5788
12-21-2010, 07:51 AM
That's going to depend on if you find it used or have to go new. New is $$$$$$$$$$$$

and most of the time the salvage yards that do have them will only sell them as a full set

try www.car-part.com

hercfe
12-21-2010, 07:59 AM
in most states salvage yards cannot legally sell any component of an airbag system or seatbelt system from a vehicle that had any deployment. if there was no deployment, most of the time it will only be sold as a complete set. either way, getting the module coded will cost you an arm and a leg because only a dealer can do that, and they probably won't unless you can prove you used new parts anyways. buying a salvage after airbag deployment is never easy, and never cheap. that's why 99.999% of salvage yards and rebuilders avoid selling or buying these cars as a whole.

Scotty@Advanced
12-21-2010, 08:11 AM
Your looking at new air bags, new seat belts, new dashboard, and new airbag module. In some states it is illegal to install used airbags. Airbags are so expensive to replace many insurance companies will declare a vehicle a total loss just due to the airbag deployment. With that said you need to find out WHY the airbags deployed, and make sure the damage is repaired properly, and make sure the price of the vehicle is worth the hassle and cost to repair.

champion
12-21-2010, 08:20 AM
Yea, i think ill pass on that then. not worth the cost or the time or energy spent to get it all worked out. Why new seatbelts?

somebody5788
12-21-2010, 08:39 AM
Yea, i think ill pass on that then. not worth the cost or the time or energy spent to get it all worked out. Why new seatbelts?

in an impact the seatbelts deploy a lock so that they can not retract. It's like when you pull on them really hard but it's permanent I believe

hercfe
12-21-2010, 08:50 AM
the inertia locks can be reset, but you need a special tool to do it on some belts. others don't reset at all, and others don't have locking inertia reels. I would guess that audi uses inertia reels that can't be reset.

seanj130
12-21-2010, 10:03 AM
Why not just go without airbags? Coil-overs are always a good option..

Best regards,
Sean.

JoshDub
12-21-2010, 10:07 AM
^ hahahaha

Blake260
12-21-2010, 12:22 PM
I have done it, and its not that bad at all.

replacing steering wheel airbag is a cinch

you do need to replace the dash and passenger airbag (Which i can sell you) and also the seatbelts as they have igniter's in them (which I can also sell you) probably took me about maybe 4 hours. I used the heater core DIY to pull the dash off.

also I DID NOT have to replace my control module.

Scotty@Advanced
12-21-2010, 12:34 PM

in an impact the seatbelts deploy a lock so that they can not retract. It's like when you pull on them really hard but it's permanent I believe

the inertia locks can be reset, but you need a special tool to do it on some belts. others don't reset at all, and others don't have locking inertia reels. I would guess that audi uses inertia reels that can't be reset.

All Audi seat belts made after 1996 have pyrotechnic charges in them that blow and tension the seat belt after an airbag deployment. They will not function after an airbag deployment.

I

also I DID NOT have to replace my control module.

Airbag modules will not work after they deploy front airbags, some can have crash data erased and some need to be reset requiring OEM equipment to reset the device. it pretty much varies from one module part number to the next.

Nebone
12-21-2010, 12:40 PM
Clock spring also goes out of whack during steering wheel air bag deployment.

You'd have to replace the dashboard because even to replace the control module, the dash has to come off. Such a bad location for it.

champion
12-21-2010, 09:00 PM
Why not just go without airbags? Coil-overs are always a good option..

Best regards,
Sean.WTF[confused]LOL[>_<]
Yea, if I can get the car for $500 like someone stated, and a good deal on parts, then maybe Ill go through with this. Quite frankly, its probably not going to happen. Blake, Ill pm you in reference to some prices on the stuff[up]

champion
12-21-2010, 09:39 PM
was told airbags deployed because of the front bumper shocks were compressed.
possible???

seanj130
12-21-2010, 09:50 PM
WTF[confused]LOL[>_<]

LOL,

Best regards,
Sean.

champion
12-21-2010, 10:00 PM
LOL,

Best regards,
Sean.