PDA

View Full Version : Light issues with my B5

Shospeed
12-20-2010, 08:35 PM
The car:
A 98 Audi A4 2.8 5spd.

The issue:
So on Saturday night on the drive home I started to get a funny smell like burned plastic or something like that. Sunday we used the family far so I didn't drive my Audi. Today on my way to work I noticed my turn signals weren't working and after a lady cut me off I was about to let her have it with my horn but I noticed that wasn't working aither, also the blower for the AC/heater dosent seem to work aither, and on my way back from work today I noticed that I had no headlights aither. OMG!!!!
So I left my car at work. The parking lights do work.

Long story short:
I have no .......headlights, no horn, no turned signals and no A/C

Does anybody have a diagram of any of this or any aidea of that the hell happend?

ANYTHING OR IDEAS ARE GREATLY APRECIATED .................

Shospeed
12-21-2010, 05:59 PM
Really guys anything would help!!

stevejones19
12-21-2010, 06:16 PM
Burning plastic could've been your headlight switch. Mine burned up real good and i had to replace the harness that plugs into the switch as well. That explains why your headlights and blinkers don't work.

I've been down this road a few times in my car. You can get your car home with the high-beams if you need. but you have to hold the switch back all the way home. Or if your lucky, really lucky, try jamming up real hard on the light switch. I could get mine to work if i pushed up on it with everything i had, short of breaking the lever off. lol.

As to the blower motor, there are a few other things that go along with this but, it could be your load reduction relay.

Since i see your new, i'll let you know that there is a search function that allows you to look these things up. You'll see it on the top right hand side on the main page. This is a very common problem and is asked a few times a month on here. But look up "load reduction relay" and "headlight switch". That will give you plenty of reading material for a while. [up]

frameshift18
12-21-2010, 06:20 PM
Most likely its the load reduction relay or one of the contacts in your ignition switch is bad. Had the same problem.

weaselciuy
12-22-2010, 05:33 AM
did you check your fuses? ot check cables near the headlights.
Also as frame said, look at the relays also. I think there`s a comfort relay controlling interior lights, heat & AC, auto locking (dont think its for headlights also).

walky_talky20
12-22-2010, 09:56 AM
The problem is a bad ignition switch.

The part of the ignition switch that powers the headlight switch also powers the load reduction relay (blower motor, turn signals, etc).

It goes like this:

A: If you are just missing headlights = Headlight switch failure
B: If you are just missing accessories (blower motor, turn signals, horn, etc) = Load Reduction Relay failure
C: If you are missing BOTH headlights AND accessories = Ignition Switch failure

There is an extremely slim chance that you have a simultaneous failure of the headlight switch and the relay, but that is highly unlikely.

Of special note is that the "Flash-To-Pass" feature (high beam flash) is not affected by any of this as it's power supply is a completely separate circuit.

Also of note is that there is no single fuse that will cause all of these items to stop working. You would literally need to have like 12 blown fuses for that to be the case. Or 1 faulty ignition switch.

Disclaimer: The above is my diagnosis based on the details given and my knowledge of the the B5 platform and wiring, but is just my best guess. I always advise you to have a trusted mechanic make the diagnosis with the actual car in the shop. Please don't buy and replace parts merely on the suggestion of some guy on the internet. Get out a test light and verify, or take it to a mechanic.