PDA

View Full Version : 1.8t sounding like shit after coolant flange leak fix.

T0mat3
12-20-2010, 03:48 PM
So all I had left to do to stick my BT back on the road was fix that pesky leak from the coolant flange. I used Form A gasket with an o-ring and it was still leaking, so I took it all off and sanded the coolant flange down real good, so the o ring would be showing a bit more. No more leak but now my 1.8t sounds like a tractor. I can hear a pinging noise some times as well as the obvious noise heard on the video. There werent any codes. The coolant temp gauge was going up but the oil one didnt. Ran the engine for a good 15-20 mins. Its minus 13 C outside.

http://s310.photobucket.com/albums/kk413/t0mat3/?action=view&current=soundslikeshit.mp4

J Ozzie
12-20-2010, 04:03 PM
I actually just did this a month back and i have have to be honest with ECS Tunnning not to bash you.. but your stupid flange cost me 50 bucks woth of G12!! I bought your flange for my car because my buddie and i cracked my old one removing the intake Manifold. I bought this one http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-Quattro-1.8T/Engine/Cooling/Housing_-_Flanges/ES5904/

I installed it, New gaskets and the thing springs a leak! and not no easy leak.. i even when out to VW and bought another for 5 bucks FML put that in once again thinking maybe its just the gasket so in went all the G12 i just bought and bam Leaking.. lost it all down the drain!! after that I must have put this thing on about 7 times ended up going FUCK THIS!! Ran over to Lordco bought High Temp Silicone and covered that bitch up! Now my car runs 75% water and 25% G12 with a ton of Silicone around the flange. so far so good. So you might want to add a ton of sillicone around it man. Just to be safe because as you said.. Its a PITA!

Sorry not to high jack your thread.. But just so you guys now.. before you buy the part Buy HIGH TEMP gasket silicone.

J Ozzie
12-20-2010, 04:06 PM
to add that sound in the video sounds like a bad Exhaust leak... Like a Tighten your manifold down and make sure your intake manifold is tight too. Just a thought. my Intake Manifold was loose and it made the same sound.

T0mat3
12-20-2010, 04:11 PM
You think? because It didnt sound that way before I did the install, but come to think of it, I was kinda sitting on the intake mani. A leak would make it sound that bad? The sound was coming more from the head then the mani, but I guess it doesnt hurt to look.

J Ozzie
12-20-2010, 04:24 PM
Just take a look tighten up things but not over tighten.

walky_talky20
12-20-2010, 04:26 PM
What year is the car?

If you removed the combi valve (also sometimes incorrectly known as the EGR valve) in order to gain access to the coolant flange, then you may have an exhaust leak from there. A exhaust leak from the combi valve can be very loud. Also, if you inadvertently removed one of the combi valve bolts while you back there (it can happen, things are hard to see) you can also cause a leak that way.

Also, I have had problems with some of the aftermarket coolant flanges. Every once in a while I'll get one with that incorrectly "cast" in the plastic, such that the inset metal pieces are sticking out. That is, they are not "flush" and do not allow the flange to seat fully with head. In some cases this problem also happens with the connection to the coolant hard line as well. A quick visual inspection of the flange will show the deformity usually. In that case, I just order another one. The things are cheap. Always inspect them first, as it is a good bit of work to change it again. I wouldn't advise using a bunch of silicone to seal it up. I would want it to seal properly. It has to hold a good bit of pressure.

J Ozzie
12-20-2010, 04:28 PM
What year is the car?

If you removed the combi valve (also sometimes incorrectly known as the EGR valve) in order to gain access to the coolant flange, then you may have an exhaust leak from there. A exhaust leak from the combi valve can be very loud. Also, if you inadvertently removed one of the combi valve bolts while you back there (it can happen, things are hard to see) you can also cause a leak that way.

Also, I have had problems with some of the aftermarket coolant flanges. Every once in a while I'll get one with that incorrectly "cast" in the plastic, such that the inset metal pieces are sticking out. That is, they are not "flush" and do not allow the flange to seat fully with head. In some cases this problem also happens with the connection to the coolant hard line as well. A quick visual inspection of the flange will show the deformity usually. In that case, I just order another one. The things are cheap. Always inspect them first, as it is a good bit of work to change it again.

True i was gonna say also check the Combi valve!

As for the flange hey if i had a few days to wait around and didnt need to drive my car then that would be fine.

T0mat3
12-20-2010, 04:40 PM
Its an AEB, but you guys think it sounds like an exhaust leak? As it seems to come from the head and not around it. I do have a exhaust leak right behind the turbo, but that was there before and never did this sound.

walky_talky20
12-20-2010, 04:49 PM
AEB? So no Secondary Air...that blows my theory.

I can't really think of anything else other than a simple exhaust leak that is coincidental with your flange work.

T0mat3
12-20-2010, 04:55 PM
What if we forget about the coolant flange, what could make that kind of noise?

J Ozzie
12-20-2010, 09:15 PM
Im lost then.. Where is the sound comming from exactly to the point?

walky_talky20
12-20-2010, 09:45 PM
Well, I should learn to read better. I just noticed there a video posted! And I noticed the OP didn't say anything about an exhaust leak originally.

After listening to the video, it really sounds like top end noise. Like lifter noise or cam chain noise. It is always hard to tell on a video, though.

How is the oil condition and level? I'd throw an oil pressure gauge on there firstly, and make sure it is in spec. Kind of sounds like a possible low oil pressure issue.

J Ozzie
12-21-2010, 12:37 AM
yeah and pin point the sound so we get a better idea. Use that supersonic hearing!

T0mat3
12-21-2010, 01:09 PM
Anyone else got an opinion on what it might be?

terraflata
12-21-2010, 02:08 PM
Anyone else got an opinion on what it might be?

It is the curse that is your life! LOL.....Just messing with you man. But seriously as far as this is concerned....I bring NOTHING to the table!

T0mat3
12-21-2010, 03:17 PM
Going to buy a Oil pressure gauge tonight, see what that says, Thx for the DIY Walky.

walky_talky20
12-21-2010, 04:24 PM
^^Did I do a DIY on that? Anyhow, you're welcome, I guess!

T0mat3
12-21-2010, 05:06 PM
Unless you were smoking some good stuff and forgot this lol : http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/393352-1.8T-Oil-Pressure-Sender-Install-Write-Up

Audi0s
12-22-2010, 03:11 PM
Sounds to me like a cam chain tensioner. Is it more towards the rear of the head?

walky_talky20
12-22-2010, 04:57 PM
Unless you were smoking some good stuff and forgot this lol : http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/393352-1.8T-Oil-Pressure-Sender-Install-Write-Up

Oh yeah...that was some good stuff.

1.8beasT
12-22-2010, 05:14 PM
Definately an oil pressure issue. Don't start the car until you have it figured out.