PDA

View Full Version : Need DIY info for thermostat replacement!

kenji422
12-19-2010, 08:20 PM
I have a thread on here I started earlier, regarding my ongoing problem with weak/lukewarm heat, and my engine only reaching operating temp while idling and sitting still. I already did a heater core flush (CLR soak 45min, then hot water both ways)...still didn't help. Average temp here in Maryland is 0 Celcius, just above or below freezing.

Before I take the plunge and pony up some serious cash for a heater core change, I wanna try replacing the thermostat because:
-My engine only reaches operating temp (needle in the middle) when I'm idling/sitting in a parking lot
-All other times its 2 notches to the left (approx 11 o clock position)
-I heard its cheaper<<<<is it?
-I heard its easier than a heater core change<<<<how much easier?

Any links to any DIY info on a thermostat change? I heard it is slightly more difficult for my 1996 A4 2.8 V6...its somewhere behind the timing belt on the bottom of the engine? Will I need specialized tools?

dozanti
12-19-2010, 08:53 PM
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/repairinfo/repairguide/repairGuideContent.jsp?pageId=0900c152800c2c41

Bout half way down is the 2.8

dmaize
12-19-2010, 09:39 PM
when mine was bad, it would NEVER reach half, it would sit real low.

A4drei
12-19-2010, 09:54 PM
huh, thats weird. my coolant temp guage stays ONLY at half. never above. ive never seen it go above even one notch. Either i got a real good cooling system, or somethings going on there?

somebody5788
12-20-2010, 05:35 AM
huh, thats weird. my coolant temp guage stays ONLY at half. never above. ive never seen it go above even one notch. Either i got a real good cooling system, or somethings going on there?

What does this have to do with the thread?

Mine is doing the same as the OP's. Mine's behind the timing belt on the 30v....

toxinr
12-20-2010, 01:14 PM
mine barely gets pass the first notch.
Before my thermostat went bad the dial stays at half all the time. I thought it was normal...

somebody5788
12-20-2010, 01:26 PM
mine barely gets pass the first notch.
Before my thermostat went bad the dial stays at half all the time. I thought it was normal...

The middle is normal.... idk where any of you are getting the idea that it might not be?