PDA

View Full Version : Slipping clutch

NoMoreCrankwalk
12-18-2010, 11:03 PM
Car has 150k on it, clutch is starting to slip every now and then when under boost/above 3k. I don't plan on getting this over 300hp but want a clutch i can abuse rarely and not worry about breaking. On a budged, I've heard good things about xtd's which are really cheap on ebay. I guess the unsprung ones are insanely reliable but i would imagine that wouldn't be smooth for daily driving. What do you guys think? Also anyone have pics of a B5 with rain guards or whatever they are called? Thanks

Ketamine1
12-20-2010, 08:41 PM
FX-400 with a lightweight 16lb flywheel and be done with it.

EErie B6
12-20-2010, 09:01 PM
240mm FX-100 with a lightweight 20lb flywheel (http://www.ringer-racing.com/product.sc?productId=99) and be done with it.
There, Fixed! (its also a link, click it.)

...and its good for approx 320awhp.
this setup is about 5lbs lighter than the OEM mess, but just heavy enough not to cause gear rattle and driveability issues. the 16lb-ers or the 11lb-ers will make your car clatter like a diesel... and stop n go traffic will be a pain in the arse. 20lbs is ideal.

MikeD7
12-20-2010, 10:02 PM
There, Fixed! (its also a link, click it.)

...and its good for approx 320awhp.
this setup is about 5lbs lighter than the OEM mess, but just heavy enough not to cause gear rattle and driveability issues. the 16lb-ers or the 11lb-ers will make your car clatter like a diesel... and stop n go traffic will be a pain in the arse. 20lbs is ideal.

$1,000 for a clutch!? That is fucking ridiculous! If you need a clutch pm me. I can get you a clutch that is just as good if not better for a much better price.

EErie B6
12-21-2010, 06:43 AM
$1,000 for a clutch!? That is fucking ridiculous! If you need a clutch pm me. I can get you a clutch that is just as good if not better for a much better price.
thats a clutch and a billet flywheel chief.

OP says hes at 150k on the stock setup... a stock DM flywheel with 150k on it needs to be replaced or there is a good chance he will have to do the clutch job again in the not to far future. Choosing not to and having it come apart, then paying an additional 6-8hrs of labor to have it all done a second time quickly makes your cheap-o clutch job cost a small fortune... in the end you are still stuck with a cheap-o clutch. When you consider that, $1,000 becomes a bargain. A stock replacement with new DMFW will run you about the same, and a stock replacement SMF conversion about $250 less... for a stock clutch. Thats ridiculous in my book.

Do it once, do it right, and be done with it. It will be completely bulletproof to 320awhp.(just over OP's goal)
while you are in there don't forget to do the rear main seal... its probably leaking (maybe even why the current clutch is slipping)

somebody5788
12-21-2010, 07:56 AM

OP says hes at 150k on the stock setup... a stock DM flywheel with 150k on it needs to be replaced or there is a good chance he will have to do the clutch job again in the not to far future. Choosing not to and having it come apart, then paying an additional 6-8hrs of labor to have it all done a second time quickly makes your cheap-o clutch job cost a small fortune... in the end you are still stuck with a cheap-o clutch. When you consider that, $1,000 becomes a bargain. A stock replacement with new DMFW will run you about the same, and a stock replacement SMF conversion about $250 less... for a stock clutch. Thats ridiculous in my book.

Do it once, do it right, and be done with it. It will be completely bulletproof to 320awhp.(just over OP's goal)
while you are in there don't forget to do the rear main seal... its probably leaking (maybe even why the current clutch is slipping)

Why? 160k on my resurfaced dual mass with 30k on the clutch. Flywheel was resurfaced 30k miles ago of course.

EErie B6
12-21-2010, 09:00 AM
Why? 160k on my resurfaced dual mass with 30k on the clutch. Flywheel was resurfaced 30k miles ago of course.
The DMFW is a wear item with a service life. They CAN come apart necessitating another clutch job. 150k is pushing it & Any money saved by resurfacing it will then be spent replacing everything again if the DMFW does decide to die... on top of that, you have to pay for labor a second time. (unless you DIY)

OP said:

I don't plan on getting this over 300hp but want a clutch i can abuse rarely and not worry about breaking. the 240mm FX-100 w/20lb flywheel is good for approx. 320awhp, it will have the best manners, best driveability, & and be completely bulletproof.

...exactly what the Dr. ordered.

Ketamine1
12-21-2010, 12:39 PM
The DMFW is a wear item with a service life. They CAN come apart necessitating another clutch job. 150k is pushing it & Any money saved by resurfacing it will then be spent replacing everything again if the DMFW does decide to die... on top of that, you have to pay for labor a second time. (unless you DIY)

OP said:
the 240mm FX-100 w/20lb flywheel is good for approx. 320awhp, it will have the best manners, best driveability, & and be completely bulletproof.

I drive my 16lb in NYC traffic and NJ traffic with no problems. The only time u get any rattle is when taking off from a stop at idle and not giving it any gas, or when u put the AC on in which case it's not noticable over the sound of the aforementioned AC.lol.

MikeD7
12-21-2010, 07:54 PM

Hey "chief"... $1,000 is expensive in my book for a clutch and flywheel set up that only handles 320whp. I was aware that it came with a LW billet flywheel but it still doesn't justify the price for me

somebody5788
12-21-2010, 08:19 PM

OP said:
the 240mm FX-100 w/20lb flywheel is good for approx. 320awhp, it will have the best manners, best driveability, & and be completely bulletproof.

I've never seen a B5 one fail. The FWD VW's are that way and big trucks but the B5 one is safe.

If it ever goes out ill get a used one and have South Bend resurface it for me and they may even warranty the clutch while they are at it.