PDA

View Full Version : Power Locks Not Working

BlkMaGiC 3526
12-18-2010, 12:45 AM
My power door locks suddenly stopped working. I've had my car for almost a year now and I have never had any issues with the power door locks before. This morning I hit the interior door switch to try to lock my doors and it didn't do anything. However, I was still able to unlock my doors. When I go back to drive my car a couple of hours later, I'm no longer able to unlock my doors either.

I checked my fuses and they looked fine and I replaced them to be sure, but still no luck. Anything else I can check? Any suggestions? TIA

matt@oCarbon
12-18-2010, 01:12 AM
Sounds like your vacuum pump. Pretty common problem.

You might not be able to open your gas tank next time you fill up (assuming you can't get the vacuum pump replaced before you need more gas). You'll have to get to the trunk, remove the liner, find the vacuum line to the lock on the door, and suck on it to get the door unlocked.

BlkMaGiC 3526
12-18-2010, 01:24 AM
I just checked right now and if I manually unlock my car from the outside, all the doors still unlock, including the trunk and gas tank. I'm just not able to lock or unlock from inside the car with the interior door switch. Would this still be a vacuum pump issue?

matt@oCarbon
12-18-2010, 01:39 AM
I am not sure then. I think if the vacuum pump had failed, you'd only be able to manually unlock the driver dork.

BlkMaGiC 3526
12-18-2010, 11:34 AM
Yeah, thats what I'm thinking. Maybe a bad door switch? I'm not sure but are there codes for the central locking system? Can I check for any errors or do I need to just figure it out?

walky_talky20
12-18-2010, 01:03 PM
Yes, you can connect to the central locking module with vag-com. It does have codes for the vacuum side of things as well. Basically, if the vacuum pump runs for x seconds and the doors don't unlock it sets a code for a vacuum leak, etc. There is codes for all the sensors and switches as well, of course.

A4Shizzle
12-18-2010, 03:10 PM
I am not sure then. I think if the vacuum pump had failed, you'd only be able to manually unlock the driver dork.

Exactly this ^

I think you can check the switch with a multimeter, I don't remember more than 2 wires going to it.

BlkMaGiC 3526
12-19-2010, 12:05 AM
Okay, my car was acting really weird today. When I go to start my car and I press my brakes the doors would unlock and when I pressed them again, they would lock. This happened a few times today. Then in another incident when I open my door the interior dome lights wouldn't come on. I check the fuses and replace fuses just in case and still no luck. Then all of a sudden I press my brakes the doors unlock and my dome lights come on. Then in another incident, when my gf opened the passenger door and left it open for a brief moment, my hazards came on and wouldn't turn off till I shut the door. Another incident, when I was warming up my car, I can hear what sounded like my trunk locking and unlocking continuously. One last incident, I tried locking my car from the outside manually, and the doors locked fine but the red alarm light didn't come on. Then the dome light turned on for a brief second and then my doors unlocked.

I went to a local reputable shop the other day and I had them replace my brake carrier and they tried to program my key fob to work, but they couldn't get it to work. I don't know what is going on.

A4Shizzle
12-19-2010, 05:07 PM
Have you been able to scan with Vagcom? It could be the lock control module, but that's just a guess.

A4Shizzle
12-20-2010, 01:14 PM
I don't think I'll reply to any more problems threads since this just started happening to my car too...

Driving home from my girls house this morning I heard the pump continuously locking and unlocking the car. When I got home and checked it out I would lock the door and it would keep turning on and off. When I tried to unlock the doors it would immediately re-lock them. Same weird issues going on from the trunk and drivers door as well as the key-fob not working. Sounds familiar huh...

I just checked and it turns out that the pump/control module got soaked with water, another classic problem. The red drain hose was clogged with dirt and the grommet that it went into was basically crimped shut. Since they aren't sealed together, water started coming out of the joint and filling the little compartment. Of course there's a drain plug, but you have to remove it for the water to drain.

My possible solution: clear the red drain hose, open the end of the grommet up and drill a hole in the drain plug. This should prevent the area from filling up. The foam is in the dryer right now and I'll be hitting the module and compartment with a hairdryer. I know others with this problem have also put the pump in a plastic bag to prevent the foam/pump from getting waterlogged in the future; I'll definitely be considering this too. I hope it's not fried as I JUST fixed the pump last month and I'm not looking forward to replacing the whole thing.

Hope this helps and good luck!

movement360
12-20-2010, 01:37 PM
Sounds like your vacuum pump. Pretty common problem.

You might not be able to open your gas tank next time you fill up (assuming you can't get the vacuum pump replaced before you need more gas). You'll have to get to the trunk, remove the liner, find the vacuum line to the lock on the door, and suck on it to get the door unlocked.

There is a tab you can pull that is directly connected to the pin in the gas cap area..it's what I had to do when my clp went out...

a4euroswag
11-18-2011, 09:25 PM
This happened to me and i cant get gas =/ can someone tell me how to unlock that manually? i know my pump works, so how do i locate the air leak?