PDA

View Full Version : xenon ballast question

RAyala2.7T
03-08-2005, 08:39 PM
My driver's side xenon went out yesterday due to the stormy weather we had. this morning i started troubleshooting. the bulbs were fine and I swapped the headlights--i connected the driver's side headlight to the passenger side connector and vise versa. the driver's side headlight worked on the pass. side but the pass. side didn't work on the driver's side. I was talking to one of my friends(audi tech) and he said look for the headlight relay. i didn't get the location of it but i was wondering if the headlight relay controlled the low and hi-beams or is there a relay for low and a relay for hi's. anyway, i checked to see if both hi-beams worked and they did. does anyone know if one relay controls the low and hi-beams on the headlight and is it now narrowed down to the ballast. sorry so long. TIA

robert

BoostinA4
03-08-2005, 08:48 PM
check the fuses, the fuse is located on thre driver side, side panel when the door is opened, i belive the fuse is located at the top right part of the fuse box, check the graph on the fuse box cover to confirm....check all 4 headlight fuses, and if those are good then it would most likely be the wiring or balistics box

RAyala2.7T
03-08-2005, 08:50 PM
sorry i didn't mention that. i checked the fuses too. they are fine

BoostinA4
03-08-2005, 09:26 PM
then its prolly the box, i had one go out on me too...sucked

quickglx
03-08-2005, 10:45 PM
Well if the driver side light went out, and you plugged it in to the passenger side and it works it must be something w/ the wiring to the driver side...

RAyala2.7T
03-09-2005, 06:36 AM
i'll have to do it again. i swapped out so many things yesterday I could've gotten some things mixed up

RAyala2.7T
03-09-2005, 07:08 AM
update: the driver's side that doesn't work still doesn't work on the pass. side and the pass. side(which works), works on the drivers side. so the wiring is still okay. its the ballast thats bad.

quickglx
03-09-2005, 09:33 AM
You're probably right but I would try swapping the ignitors too. You should be able to get them seperately I'd think.

EVIL-AUDI
03-09-2005, 09:35 AM
I had a ballast go out on me. Common issue.

RAyala2.7T
03-09-2005, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by quickglx
You're probably right but I would try swapping the ignitors too. You should be able to get them seperately I'd think.

okay... i'm confused about the ballasts/ignitors. they are the same thing right? meaning the square box on the bottom of the headlight that you're selling?

EVIL-AUDI
03-09-2005, 09:40 AM
Yes, it's the same thing

RAyala2.7T
03-09-2005, 09:55 AM
do you know the name of the "torx" looking screw that hold them in? looks just like it but it has a nub in the middle of it. i'll see if sears has it.

EVIL-AUDI
03-09-2005, 11:39 AM
That's the security one. I got mine at sears a while back.

quickglx
03-09-2005, 05:27 PM
Tamper-resistant torx have the pin in the center

Originally posted by EVIL-AUDI
Yes, it's the same thing

No..... The ballast is the large rectangle screwed into the bottom of the headlight and the ignitor is the part that twists onto the bulb. If it's just a connector that twists on to the bulb then you have ballasts w/ integrated ignitors. The ones I have are two separate peices:

http://img105.exs.cx/img105/1751/10010087ww.th.jpg (http://img105.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img105&image=10010087ww.jpg)
click me to see better

EVIL-AUDI
03-09-2005, 05:42 PM
Oh please. If you have real OEM ones they are one peice connected. Get the OEM replacement, not something else.

quickglx
03-09-2005, 06:01 PM
The ones I have are OEM Valeo and two peices. They fit in the bottom of the headlight like the others do.

nmb
03-10-2005, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by quickglx
The ones I have are OEM Valeo and two peices. They fit in the bottom of the headlight like the others do.

yours are oem and one piece. ballasts includes ignitor. the "other" part is a plain bulb base connector.

a ignitor is bigger.

ballast plus ignitor:

http://flyservers.registerfly.com/members5/d2shid.com/images/gen4_hid_kit.jpg

AudiMat
03-10-2005, 12:49 PM
Most likely the Ballast is bad, but if the weather was really stormy then it might have just gotten moist in there and that is killing the firing of it. You should be able to tell this by having a friend turn on your lights while you watch the headlight. If you see the sightest flicker, then chances are its just wet. My pass side ballast got wet inside and killed the ignition of the bulb for almost a week. If this is the case, I would remove the fuse of the light so that it wont continue to try and fire the bulb every time you try to trun your lights on. That could kill your bulb or ballast. If you dont see any flicker, then it is probally your ballast that has gone bad. I hope that makes sense[:p]

bitterchild
03-10-2005, 07:10 PM
I have an extra valeo ballast. All set for a seamless remove and replace. Also a new set of 4300k phillips/osram. About time for a garage sale I suppose