PDA

View Full Version : Secondary Air System help

A4 Dream
12-15-2010, 12:29 AM
I have been told that my secondary air pump is shot because of the noise its making.

So my car sounds like an airliner on those cold winter morning start ups.
Its progressively gotten worse so I bought a new pump.

I am having no luck when I search for a diy of some sort.

Anyone care to help?

J Ozzie
12-15-2010, 01:25 AM
REMOVE THAT POS!! hahha i did.. i was tired of WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE then goes off then comes back for a few more seconds and then gone!

offroader1006
12-15-2010, 05:50 AM
Pretty simple. Unbolt it, remove the hoses and take it out. There may be some minor stuff to move to get the room. It's been awhile since I've seen a motor with one.

adr3naline fix
12-15-2010, 10:18 AM
There is really nothing to it. Just get in there and unplug it all.

...and then throw it out & sell your new pump.

Chris@RevoUSA
12-15-2010, 10:24 AM
Do you have emissions testing? if so then don't rip it out you won't pass and will seriously make the car hard to sell in the future if it can't pass and CEL is blaring in the buyers face.

If the pump is making noise it is working and you probably don't need to replace it. Only a few things make the pump much louder. Inlet hose is broken or off so you hear it as the sound is not muffled by the airbox. The kombi valve on the side of the head is not opening so you are hearing the pump have no place to blow air. This is usually just a vacuum line and not the valve but the valves do sometimes fail. If you have no CEL then chances are this is fine and your case is just popping open. Relatively easy fix just remove the pump drill out the rivets in the case and get some long bolts to bolt it back up. You should be good to go until it sucks in some water and really fails.

A4 Dream
12-16-2010, 02:31 PM
REMOVE THAT POS!! hahha i did.. i was tired of WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE then goes off then comes back for a few more seconds and then gone!

hahah I like your style.
Was it very hard to take out?

terraflata
12-16-2010, 02:58 PM
You can deal with the CEL using resistors and/or getting your ECU re-coded.....several people on here know how to do it.....I think kOmpressed is the guru around here for that kind of stuff. That way you will pass emissions. The SAI is only for cold starts, and when you pass emissions I don't believe the engine is run cold. So you should be all good. I'm glad emissions don't exist in Quebec cause I removed that stuff before it gave me a headache.

A4 Dream
12-16-2010, 03:07 PM
ok, does anyone have a DIY on removal?