PDA

View Full Version : Should a awd motor?

99a4wagon
12-12-2010, 07:29 PM
With the tranny bolted to the motor should I be able to turn the motor over using a breaker bar on the crank nut. I just did a motor swap and for shits and giggles I wanted to see if i could turn it over and it wont budge. Not even with tranny in neutral and clutch engaged. Did I do something wrong?

Edit- Motor turned over before install as I was installing flywheel.

Sales@RAI
12-12-2010, 07:33 PM
As long as it's not in gear yes you should be able to turn it

99a4wagon
12-12-2010, 07:38 PM
Well that its not. What could it be?

GR-RALLYE
12-12-2010, 07:42 PM
try taking spark plugs out and try it again. why not just start the car?

andyzzdae38
12-12-2010, 07:43 PM
did the motor sit for a long time? might have slight buildup of rust in the cylinders.

99a4wagon
12-12-2010, 07:44 PM
I pulled the plugs as well. and because she is not ready just yet. I have to get downpipe bolted up and put coolant in her. But the starter going to make much of a difference?

Tomorrow I will try but she aint budging though.

99a4wagon
12-12-2010, 07:44 PM
It moved fine when we installed the fywheel.

Corrado_Guy
12-12-2010, 07:52 PM
Something is binding, check to make sure the starter is not damaged and all of the accessories are working properly. Take the drive belts off of the front and try turning it over and if it will still not move then pull the starter out and try it again. If it turned over before you put it together then something is not spinning or something is binding somewhere. I wouldn't recommend it but as a last resort you could put the car in gear with the parking brake off and see if you can bump it over with a little nudge. Removing the belts for the power steering and so on will help if one of the accessories or pulleys are not turning so this is an easy test.

99a4wagon
12-12-2010, 08:08 PM
So unbolt starter and see if it turns over? I removed all the belts expect timing of course. But the starter was fine. Is it possible its cockeyed? It seems to go in fine.

I dont see the starter binding stronger than a 24 inch breaker bar.

terraflata
12-13-2010, 10:38 AM
Are you sure your timing is dead on? I believe the cam gear turns twice for every one rotation of the crank gear, some people line up the arrows but in actuality are 180 degrees off.

somebody5788
12-13-2010, 11:23 AM
So unbolt starter and see if it turns over? I removed all the belts expect timing of course. But the starter was fine. Is it possible its cockeyed? It seems to go in fine.

I dont see the starter binding stronger than a 24 inch breaker bar.

It really is lol.

with the plugs out there should be nothing to make it hard to turn over. Some engines can even be turned over by hand with no plugs in them.

99a4wagon
12-13-2010, 12:46 PM
Oh. well my buddy and I are going to check if I messed up the linkage and maybe its still in gear. Also going to pull the starter and see if thats it. Then were going to unscrew the bolts and see if the clutch or flywheel can be moved or if their rubbing.

Any other suggestions?

Haenszel20v
12-13-2010, 12:48 PM
Any chance the flywheel bolts are too long? Its rather common.

Dan[FN]6262
12-13-2010, 12:49 PM
what part of PA are you in?

terraflata
12-13-2010, 01:01 PM
Any chance the flywheel bolts are too long? Its rather common.

Its sooo common I don't understand how it still happens....

99a4wagon
12-13-2010, 02:02 PM
Its sooo common I don't understand how it still happens....

The crank still spun when I got done torquing the flywheel bolts.

99a4wagon
12-13-2010, 02:02 PM
5857;5983322']what part of PA are you in?

Shamokin pa

terraflata
12-13-2010, 02:36 PM
The crank still spun when I got done torquing the flywheel bolts.

Was the head and timing belt installed at that point?

99a4wagon
12-13-2010, 11:06 PM
OK.. Well I somewhat found out what the problem was. I found out that the flywheel for some reason was touching the bell housing by the starter. The flywheel the guy gave me when i bought the motor was from a vw passat. So I thought I would pull the motor back out and use my audi flywheel. Well I put it all back together and I put 2 bell housing bolts in up top and 2 in bottom the crank spun freely..Well I put the rest of the bolts in and now its locked up again and the clearance by the starter in fine. What the hell can this be now. Could the pressure plate to touching the bell housing?

See there is a little more to it and would like you guys to check out this thread I made until I discovered this one is better.

http://www.audiforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=160359

terraflata
12-13-2010, 11:34 PM
Which flywheel is installed on your car presently with which transmission?
And does you car roll freely in neutral?
Reading your thread I don't know what crank your running, what flywheel, if your auto or manual, or what engine swap you did from what.

99a4wagon
12-13-2010, 11:44 PM
Which flywheel is installed on your car presently with which transmission?
And does you car roll freely in neutral?
Reading your thread I don't know what crank your running, if your auto or manual.

Well see the auto is not suppose to fit without milling of the snout and a special pilot bearing. The manual flywheel is not suppose to fit on the auto crank without milling snout. Well the flywheel fits fine on my auto crank. My car is a manual but i bought an auto motor. Im using the auto crank manual flywheel and clutch of course and i got that special pilot bearing. We measured the flywheel gap on my manual crank and auto crank and its the same. The flywheel and clutch bolt up 100% fine to the auto crank and spins freely. But once bolted down nothing wants to spin.

I would like to include this as well.
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/225777-difference-in-AEB-auto-and-manual-crank

terraflata
12-14-2010, 12:04 AM
Are you sure you replaced it with the right bearing? The bearing w/ an outer diameter of 43mm and inner diameter of 15mm? Because the input shaft is not meant to make contact with the crank, but rather inserted into the pilot bearing. The pilot bearing is simply meant as a means of stabilizing the input shaft without having to spin the same speed as the crank with the clutch disengaged.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y69/volumebikec0/IMG_1124.jpghttp://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y69/volumebikec0/IMG_1123.jpg

Is this what your flywheel looked like before you put the engine back in? (Notice pilot bearing)

99a4wagon
12-14-2010, 12:31 AM
Well the pilot fits snug around the shaft but a little play inside the flywheel. Im still using the stock flywheel. But regardless if its miss aligned or the shaft is smashed up against the crank it should still move.

99a4wagon
12-15-2010, 10:11 AM
Anymore input.

terraflata
12-15-2010, 10:33 AM
Did you shave down your auto crank? You were supposed to shave it down till there was about 2MM left sticking out past the flywheel flange.

3RD post, last 4 photos.

99a4wagon
12-15-2010, 10:37 AM
Did you shave down your auto crank? You were supposed to shave it down till there was about 2MM left sticking out past the flywheel flange.

3RD post, last 4 photos.

Well the reason for shaving it down was so the flywheel fit. And it fits fine without shaving it down. I can get a grinder and take some off.

99a4wagon
12-17-2010, 04:33 PM
Well im getting the cranks swapped tomorrow. This best be the problem..lol

EuroDriven
12-18-2010, 07:00 AM
Well im getting the cranks swapped tomorrow. This best be the problem..lol

Should be, there was a thread around here where someone had a DIY on grinding down the Auto crank to make it fit an auto trans.

99a4wagon
12-18-2010, 07:39 PM
Should be, there was a thread around here where someone had a DIY on grinding down the Auto crank to make it fit an auto trans.

Ya well it was useless. I got them swapped today and fell a little better about it. Just gotta put it in now.

terraflata
12-19-2010, 12:50 PM
Let us know whatsup.