PDA

View Full Version : How to remove paint off rear seat?

discontained
12-09-2010, 04:58 AM
Anyone got any ideas on how to remove some paint (spray paint) on the rear bottom seat? A can exploded in my car and got onto the seat thru its bag. Im just looking for some help on trying to get the paint off and not hurt the material. Its the fake leather lol

Thanks!

RiCHV382
12-09-2010, 05:02 AM
Finda a small area out of sight to test some chemicals.. I'd try a little mineral spirits or denatured alcohol..

powersmokin
12-09-2010, 05:12 AM
you can't this happened to me in my corvette and i had to replace everything but i have full coverage and the insurance payed for it.

freaksavior
12-09-2010, 05:15 AM
you can't this happened to me in my corvette and i had to replace everything but i have full coverage and the insurance payed for it.
^
Kind of like your run on sentence?

Just saying, it's near impossible to have a can of paint explode in your car from the heat. Unless your can was defective, it did not really :)
Second, as RiCHV382 said, you will need to find something that will actually degrade the paint like mineral spirits. Be careful as it is a chemical and could discolor your leather. Find a spot nobody will notice (including yourself as you are your own worst critic) and test it out for discoloration, after that get some leather cleaner and buff the leather.

B6JoeS4
12-09-2010, 07:05 AM
I would try this before you go nuts with minteral spirits:
http://www.detailersdomain.com/leathermaster-superremover.aspx

Greedo
12-09-2010, 07:25 AM

They should have paid for an education

Scotty@Advanced
12-09-2010, 07:28 AM
Anyone got any ideas on how to remove some paint (spray paint) on the rear bottom seat? A can exploded in my car and got onto the seat thru its bag. Im just looking for some help on trying to get the paint off and not hurt the material. Its the fake leather lol

Thanks!

You lucked out if it was leather it won't come off without taking the leather color with it.

Remover depends on the kid on paint but I'd start with paint thinner, then move to lacquer thinner. Always test the solvent on a portion of seat material that isn't visible, like underneath the rear seat bench.

Polski
12-09-2010, 07:35 AM
try a heat gun? (might be pointless if the paint layer is too thin)
Don't point it too close, you might burn the foam that is behind it.
Close enough to heat up the paint and applying remover to it like others suggested.

Option two,
Paint over the paint with a fabric paint to what ever color interior you have.

revolution337
12-09-2010, 07:42 AM
Graffiti remover.

A4Shizzle
12-09-2010, 11:39 AM
If the paint thinner or lacquer thinner don't work try Oops or Goof Off. They are available at most hardware stores and should take that paint off. Be careful tho, if you let it sit on the surface too long the vinyl could start to melt...

discontained
12-09-2010, 01:49 PM
im going to try mineral spirts, then paint thinner on a small section. we will see. I will report back! thanks for the tips