PDA

View Full Version : Motor Oils to use with AutoRX -> where to get?

Nateness
12-08-2010, 05:03 PM
So I'm going to give the AutoRX anti-sludge treatment a try. The website indicates that you can use synthetic oil as long as it's Shell, Castrol, or Quakerstate.

Where are good places to pick up 5W-40 fully synthetic Shell, Castrol, or Quakerstate?

The local Walmart only carries 5W-40 in Mobil 1 (which will not work with AutoRX)....

jturnbull
12-08-2010, 05:10 PM
Autozone and pepboys carry most of if not all the brands you mentioned.

coolgraymemo
12-08-2010, 05:20 PM
Kragen/Oreilly's and Advanced Auto Parts should have them too.

Nateness
12-08-2010, 05:46 PM
Thanks guys. Usually those stores are my last resort for buying oil since they usually make you buy them by the quart instead of selling in the nice 5qt jugs. The $/qt is usually higher at those stores... unless someone has had a different experience with them lately?

coolgraymemo
12-08-2010, 05:59 PM
Autozone usually has a 5 quart jug of synthetic oil on sale. If they don't have the viscosity you want, you can get 5 single liters.

Kragen usually has a 4 quart jug and you can't buy 4 single liters for the same price.

Personally I like Autozone much more because they always have oil change sales (5 lt of oil + mobil 1 filter for around $30).

auh
12-08-2010, 09:57 PM
Walmart should sell the Shell Rotella T 5w-40 synthetic. I think recently they changed the name to Rotella T6. I always have bought it at walmart cause its always the cheapest at 20 bucks a gallon there

coolgraymemo
12-08-2010, 10:09 PM
^
do they usually have 5W-40 in stock?
everywhere I go, I have to get 5 small liters because they don't have the viscosity I need in jugs...

auh
12-08-2010, 10:10 PM
I haven't been to walmart in a little over a month, but everytime I go I always see the gallon size T6

Seerlah
12-09-2010, 01:41 AM
The gallon jugs fills the 1.8t perfect. It's 4 quarts.

xdewaynex
12-09-2010, 03:41 AM
Why does it call for the 3 listed oils above?

EErie B6
12-09-2010, 04:16 AM
Why does it call for the 3 listed oils above?
cause all 3 are Group III... derived from Dino Oil. Oil additives often have a chemistry that competes with that of "IV" & "V" type oils.

Stop by WallyWorld and grab a gallon of Shell Rotella T6... Excellent oil, Great Price.

kay0783
12-09-2010, 12:59 PM
So I'm going to give the AutoRX anti-sludge treatment a try. The website indicates that you can use synthetic oil as long as it's Shell, Castrol, or Quakerstate.

Where are good places to pick up 5W-40 fully synthetic Shell, Castrol, or Quakerstate?

The local Walmart only carries 5W-40 in Mobil 1 (which will not work with AutoRX)....
Let me know if it work or not. I was looking to order a bottle of AutoRX but never got around to it....

-:vw:-
12-09-2010, 01:43 PM
Let me know if it work or not. I was looking to order a bottle of AutoRX but never got around to it....

Do any of you Seafoam? I.E. add half a bottle in before the oil change let it idle/warm up (NOT DRIVING IT) to operating temperatures then do the change? If so what frequency should this be performed?

SOFME
12-09-2010, 02:22 PM
which ecer you decide to go with ensure you use a funnel.

Seerlah
12-09-2010, 05:50 PM
A gold plated one too. Not that cheap chinese sh*t either, but one with real gold..................edible gold.

But really, seafoam and AutoRX treatment are the most common things people do to remove sludge. But what people overlook is the fact that loosening all those deposits have a really good chance of accumulating on your oil pump pick up screen. It would be very prudent to have your oil screen looked at, or replaced if necessary, after any of these treatments are used. But if you don't have the funds or know about to go at it yourself, just know you have been forwarned. Not trying to deter you or anything, as many people have done it successfully. I am just saying that this "could" happen.

I have a bottle of Amsoil engine flush that I have had for maybe a year now. I didn't use it for this simple fact, and is still sitting in my garage. Seafoam and AutoRX are the safest ways to go about it.

-:vw:-
12-09-2010, 06:42 PM
Isn't the intent of the additive to physically break up the sludge not just break it loose and deposit somewhere else? If all the additives do is break it loose inside the engine and leave it free to wreak havoc on the other internals of the engine then screw that. I thought they physically broke down the sludge so that it can be removed during the oil change with the rest of the oil.

Regarding the funnel I have one... Several actually.

Nateness
12-10-2010, 12:29 PM
Isn't the intent of the additive to physically break up the sludge not just break it loose and deposit somewhere else? If all the additives do is break it loose inside the engine and leave it free to wreak havoc on the other internals of the engine then screw that. I thought they physically broke down the sludge so that it can be removed during the oil change with the rest of the oil.

Regarding the funnel I have one... Several actually.

VW, your understanding is the same as mine. This sludge deposits should be disolved into the oil. We will see.