PDA

View Full Version : Question about rods

grillhands
12-06-2010, 08:50 PM
Do i need to change anything besides the pistons to use the 20mm rods in my awm or do i need to change the crank too?

ZimbutheMonkey
12-06-2010, 11:47 PM
Assuming that you're going with forged rods why not stick with the 19mm ones? The extra mm shouldn't make that much of a difference at that point.

PS, I'm hoping that by the end of the week I'll be receiving the first batch of parts to start my membership to the T04e club as well. Are you planning on doing the valvetrain as swell? Do 'er up so you can rev to 7500+ and put a 57 or 60 trim in, that should be funnererest

Seerlah
12-07-2010, 02:16 AM
I would first do a hone on the block, and see if an overbore is needed. If an overbore is needed, then I would upgrade the pistons to a larger diameter and go with the 20mm wristpins. I have yet to see an issue with the rods because of the wristpins. The reason I see them being an issue is because of improper reinstallation. The rod will bend or snap before the wristpin becomes an issue. And if going with forged units, I really don't see the wristpins being an issue. People like them on the "stock" engine because of the slight increase in girth on the rods. But it really shouldn't make a difference when it comes to upgrading rods. And the stock pistons are good to over 500chp. Just my .02.

Basicaly, don't spend money where you don't need to. But if you want to do it for a beter peace of mind, then that makes toal sense. But if you are mind set on going with 20mm wristpins, then I would first do a hone before ordering pistons. That way, you can order the correct ones.

grillhands
12-07-2010, 01:25 PM
Assuming that you're going with forged rods why not stick with the 19mm ones? The extra mm shouldn't make that much of a difference at that point.

PS, I'm hoping that by the end of the week I'll be receiving the first batch of parts to start my membership to the T04e club as well. Are you planning on doing the valvetrain as swell? Do 'er up so you can rev to 7500+ and put a 57 or 60 trim in, that should be funnererest

Yeah, i'm probably not going to do the head as of now because it's going to be out of my budget. I really want the bottom end built so i can have some piece of mind. My son is due to be here in February so i'm not trying to go nuts as of yet. It's me and my wives first child and she is not too crazy about me spending money on the car lol.

grillhands
12-07-2010, 01:26 PM
I would first do a hone on the block, and see if an overbore is needed. If an overbore is needed, then I would upgrade the pistons to a larger diameter and go with the 20mm wristpins. I have yet to see an issue with the rods because of the wristpins. The reason I see them being an issue is because of improper reinstallation. The rod will bend or snap before the wristpin becomes an issue. And if going with forged units, I really don't see the wristpins being an issue. People like them on the "stock" engine because of the slight increase in girth on the rods. But it really shouldn't make a difference when it comes to upgrading rods. And the stock pistons are good to over 500chp. Just my .02.

Basicaly, don't spend money where you don't need to. But if you want to do it for a beter peace of mind, then that makes toal sense. But if you are mind set on going with 20mm wristpins, then I would first do a hone before ordering pistons. That way, you can order the correct ones.

I was just wondering but i'm going to stay with the 19s. I wasn't sure if there was a difference in tolerance.

Seerlah
12-07-2010, 01:40 PM
If installed correctly, should not make a difference at all. The stock rods is where it makes the difference (AWM vs AEB bottom end), due to the rods being "slightly" beefier. That's why many feel the AEB can take a better beating than the AWM can, which I agree on. Not because of the wristpins size. But due to the rods being slightly beefier, to accomondate for the larger wristpin.

My opinion is to not spend the money where you don't have to. But be sure to go about it the correct way (correct way always equals more money). Improper installation "should" be the only reason your rods would have any issues (this includes wristpins, bearings, etc).