PDA

View Full Version : Makin' a list and checkin' it twice

somebody5788
12-06-2010, 08:00 AM
Edited title for holiday spirit =P

Looking to make my drivetrain a little less sloppy. Obvious start is a snub mount but I'm kinda foggy on what all is best.

1999.5 2.8qm sport
Current related mods: Stage 2 clutch, supercharger (literally ordering my tune at lunch for it so its a "current mod"), STaSIS coilovers (en route), short throw shifter.

I'm wanting to get a 4:1 dif and rear sway bar as well.

So I know I need to get a new dif mount, Stern power ring? How about motor mounts? I have already replaced them once with OEM (2.8 uses the same as an S4 FYI) but I figure a slightly stiffer mount would be good. I do not want the whole car to shake with the idle though. So I am hoping to get some good mounts with out sacrificing too much on daily driver comfort.

So I'll start with what I was thinking.

Snub mount, stern power ring rear dif mount, new trans mounts (what kind?) and I think a DTS would go a long way.

What would you add or substitute on this list? I am hoping to not crack my rear dif mount on a hard launch lol. I also want to eliminate the loud clunk during launches.

terraflata
12-06-2010, 08:15 AM
You have PM

Seerlah
12-06-2010, 11:28 AM
I would go with OEM RS4 mounts or 034 Street Density motor mounts, if I were in your position. Just because you are basically done with your engine, unless you want to go nitrous (or turbo$$$$). My suspension and drivetrain mods are basically done. I just need to get motor mounts and tranny mounts. And my suspension just got finished maybe 2 months ago. Going to do full CA (034 adjustable uppers, 034 lowers and not sure on tie rods yet), tie rod, and sway bar link swap in spring. And use Perrin WRX rear sway bar links for the fronts of my vehicle (been told they are a perfect fit, and already have CCP ones in the rear).

Here is what I would think would be your perfect drivetrain setup:

-034 snub mount with bracket
-034 Street Desnity or OEM RS4 Motor Mounts
-034 Street Density Transmission Mounts
-Stern Power Ring
-Stern Rear Diff Carrier Bushings
-034 Billet Rear Diff Crossmember, if you are the type who likes to drop the clutch much (more like a safety precaution)
-Since you already have a SS, get the JHM linkage (makes a difference)
*with proper mounts, you really don't need an upgraded DTS

I plan on ordering my motor and tranny mounts during the Christmas sales. But I am going for the Stern soft motor mounts, and 034 stret density tranny mounts. I have the other stuff I listed above on my vehicle (minus billet rear carrier, motor, and tranny mounts), and it makes a huge difference from stock.

somebody5788
12-06-2010, 11:57 AM
I would go with OEM RS4 mounts or 034 Street Density motor mounts, if I were in your position. Just because you are basically done with your engine, unless you want to go nitrous (or turbo$$$$). My suspension and drivetrain mods are basically done. I just need to get motor mounts and tranny mounts. And my suspension just got finished maybe 2 months ago. Going to do full CA (034 adjustable uppers, 034 lowers and not sure on tie rods yet), tie rod, and sway bar link swap in spring. And use Perrin WRX rear sway bar links for the fronts of my vehicle (been told they are a perfect fit, and already have CCP ones in the rear).

Here is what I would think would be your perfect drivetrain setup:

-034 snub mount with bracket
-034 Street Desnity or OEM RS4 Motor Mounts
-034 Street Density Transmission Mounts
-Stern Power Ring
-Stern Rear Diff Carrier Bushings
-034 Billet Rear Diff Crossmember, if you are the type who likes to drop the clutch much (more like a safety precaution)
-Since you already have a SS, get the JHM linkage (makes a difference)
*with proper mounts, you really don't need an upgraded DTS

I plan on ordering my motor and tranny mounts during the Christmas sales. But I am going for the Stern soft motor mounts, and 034 stret density tranny mounts. I have the other stuff I listed above on my vehicle (minus billet rear carrier, motor, and tranny mounts), and it makes a huge difference from stock.

I was looking at the Stern motor mounts. I kinda like them lol. What are the pros/cons of those vs 034 street density? I'd honestly like to avoid the RS4 mounts. Seems to me they are built too much like the OEM even if they are stiff for me it wasnt the internals that went but rather the bolt literally snapped through the thin aluminum shell.

So how about I start with 034 snub mount $65, Stern soft motor mounts $209, and go to ringer racing for the Stern power ring with mounts for $110.

< $400 sounds like a good start. Then I can look into the transmission mounts and stuff after.

Thoughts?

Seerlah
12-06-2010, 12:10 PM
Id get everything from Mike (he has a mount package deal on his site), if I were you. The thing that makes me want Stern motor mounts over 034 units is the simple grounds of the Stern units having a lifetime warranty. Really can't go wrong. I like the design also[:p].

I was about to have 034 Street Density mounts a couple months back. Some guy was selling them for a really good price (he purchased a B5 S4 and the PO gave him these mounts for free with purchase of the vehicle). Went to pick them up, gave him money, and brought them home. What I neglected to do was inspect them before I left. I took them home and saw that the bottom stud on one of the mounts was loose. And not loose like it can be hooked back on a spline and things would be all good. But loose, like it brought a small peice of the bottom of the mount (where the stud is planted) with it. Made me think twice about not having a lifetime warranty if an issue like this were to arise. So, I know now that I am going with Stern units. But the Stern tranny mounts seem rather harsh compared to the 034 ones, so that is why I wil use those for my tranny mounts (first wanted Stern Progressive passenger side and 034 driver's side. But now want to keep 034 on both sides).

If you are wondering why I would sugest the 034 over Stern when it comes to your application, I just have this notion in my mind that the 2.8 does not rock like the 1.8t does[confused].

flynnr
12-06-2010, 12:41 PM
i have the 034 street density mounts in my bta4 and LOVE them. no slop at all and zero rattle.

I installed them in about 1 hour. very easy

somebody5788
12-06-2010, 12:52 PM
Id get everything from Mike (he has a mount package deal on his site), if I were you. The thing that makes me want Stern motor mounts over 034 units is the simple grounds of the Stern units having a lifetime warranty. Really can't go wrong. I like the design also[:p].

I was about to have 034 Street Density mounts a couple months back. Some guy was selling them for a really good price (he purchased a B5 S4 and the PO gave him these mounts for free with purchase of the vehicle). Went to pick them up, gave him money, and brought them home. What I neglected to do was inspect them before I left. I took them home and saw that the bottom stud on one of the mounts was loose. And not loose like it can be hooked back on a spline and things would be all good. But loose, like it brought a small peice of the bottom of the mount (where the stud is planted) with it. Made me think twice about not having a lifetime warranty if an issue like this were to arise. So, I know now that I am going with Stern units. But the Stern tranny mounts seem rather harsh compared to the 034 ones, so that is why I wil use those for my tranny mounts (first wanted Stern Progressive passenger side and 034 driver's side. But now want to keep 034 on both sides).

If you are wondering why I would sugest the 034 over Stern when it comes to your application, I just have this notion in my mind that the 2.8 does not rock like the 1.8t does[confused].

Honestly the 2.8 twists the suspension like a big v8 lol. More rotational mass plus a v design engine and wide angle at that means it's gonna twist a lot more then a 1.8

A4Rob
12-06-2010, 02:47 PM
Here is what I did:

034 track density motor mounts
034 transmission mounts
H-sport Rear Sway Bar (Pure MS sells just the rear bar)
Upgraded Metal rear sway links
Autospeed DTS
Apikol "Red" Rear Diff Mount
4:1 rear diff washers
JHM Solid Linkage Upgrade
ebay SS kit

Future:
034 Billet Rear Crossmember

somebody5788
12-06-2010, 04:30 PM
Free center differential to anyone that gets me some washers to do the 4:1 mod on mine.

Seerlah
12-06-2010, 04:38 PM
There is a guy on Vortex selling them for $55 shipped. Was going to order these, but decided to just stick with the stock bias.

http://forums.fourtitude.com/showthread.php?4963427-FS-4-1-Center-Diff-Mod-Washers-like-Statis

simon072889
12-06-2010, 05:37 PM
do the washers work on a 98 1.8t?

somebody5788
12-07-2010, 06:05 AM
do the washers work on a 98 1.8t?

All manuals up to at least the B6. Possibly B7 too

A4Rob
12-07-2010, 05:00 PM
Free center differential to anyone that gets me some washers to do the 4:1 mod on mine.
01A? Can I just buy it from you? :-P

ricekikr
12-07-2010, 05:42 PM
I have the Stern Soft Engine Mounts on my 1.8t. There are vibrations, but aren't too bad (I think the v6 should produces less vibrations). It has gotten better over time though (around 4k miles on them right now).

Initially the vibrations were quite bad at idle, to the point that I wanted to switch back to stock. Good thing I'm lazy lol. I haven't tried any other mount, except for the stock ones, for comparison.

With the mounts broken in, I don't notice/mind the vibrations anymore and don't think of switching back to stock every time I start the car lol

Lazer Viking
12-07-2010, 06:44 PM
i have rs4 engine mounts, a stern snub mount, and 034 street tranny mounts, and it feels pretty stable. no clunking between gears, no slop.. i have plans on doing the rear diff mount and bushings.

i have heard the DTS makes the most difference, and if my car wasnt so low i would have one of those too

somebody5788
12-08-2010, 07:29 AM
01A? Can I just buy it from you? :-P

Lol sure. And thats the 5 speed right? lmfao. It's still in the tranny sitting on the floor so I'm not 100% sure if its a 1 or 2 piece but certainly make me an offer lol. I think a $55 set of washers is a bargain though ;)

somebody5788
12-08-2010, 07:39 AM
i have rs4 engine mounts, a stern snub mount, and 034 street tranny mounts, and it feels pretty stable. no clunking between gears, no slop.. i have plans on doing the rear diff mount and bushings.

i have heard the DTS makes the most difference, and if my car wasnt so low i would have one of those too

My friend has a DTS on his S4 and not one on his other. Honestly it seems like the lower mile good condition mounts feels the same as the higher mile w/ DTS. I didn't really think of it before though (dumbass me right? haha)

Looks like I've got my list though =D

Stern motor mounts (soft)
Stern transmission mounts
Stern power ring
Stern snub mount

$458.95 + shipping.

That should honestly be all I end up wanting. Didn't really make them all the same brand on purpose but can't be a bad thing lmfao

I'll have to give Mike a call and see what kinda deal he'll give me. Got an AMAZING deal on my clutch 2 years ago from him so I'm thinkin I'll be able to do pretty good lol $400? lol

Seerlah
12-08-2010, 12:59 PM
The Stern driver's side motor mount is really harsh, while the passenger's side is progressive. Just a heads up, as it might get irritating after a while. I would also suggest the 034 snub mount with bracket. Aftermarket ones are built to try and fill as much of the stock bracket as possible, but the 034 one has the bracket and snub designed to be used with each others. Just like I would never even think about using the 034 snub mount in the stock bracket.

somebody5788
12-08-2010, 01:02 PM
The Stern driver's side motor mount is really harsh, while the passenger's side is progressive. Just a heads up, as it might get irritating after a while. I would also suggest the 034 snub mount with bracket. Aftermarket ones are built to try and fill as much of the stock bracket as possible, but the 034 one has the bracket and snub designed to be used with each others. Just like I would never even think about using the 034 snub mount in the stock bracket.

Keep in mind I have a 2.8 lol. Both my motor mounts and transmission mounts are identical.