PDA

View Full Version : Quick Wideband question

AudiNFS
12-05-2010, 03:05 PM
I have a 1998 A4 1.8TQM. I am looking at an innovate wideband a/f gauge. I was just wondering what sort of process was involved with installing it and if any welding or something of the sort or the ECU was involved in the install. Also if anyone has a pic of where they have theirs installed it would be a great help. Thanks AZ

winston@podi.ca
12-05-2010, 03:23 PM
If you don't already know that AFR gauge does not work by itself and you can't tap off of the factory o2 sensors for a signal.

You have to drill a hole and weld in a bung in the downpipe to screw in the o2 sensor for the AFR controller.

AudiNFS
12-05-2010, 03:25 PM
alright thank you

hercfe
12-05-2010, 03:28 PM
If you don't already know that AFR gauge does not work by itself and you can't tap off of the factory o2 sensors for a signal.

You have to drill a hole and weld in a bung in the downpipe to screw in the o2 sensor for the AFR controller.
http://www.aemelectronics.com/no-weld-o2-sensor-mount-3-inch-1175
...or just drill a hole and use one of these^^^. They are just as good as any welded bung, but for the price, it's almost cheaper to get a bung welded in place.

winston@podi.ca
12-05-2010, 03:32 PM
alright thank you

If you need any Innovate products email me as I sell their whole product line and can offer your better pricing.

AudiNFS
12-05-2010, 04:11 PM
Great will do. Thanks for the info guys

fernank1987
12-05-2010, 04:47 PM
the wideband a/f gauge will not work for 1998, only 2001 and up

Seerlah
12-05-2010, 05:12 PM
^ The Innovate wideband works on any vehicle. It is a sovereign sensor with a sovereign controller, hooked up to a sovereign gauge. I have the VEI Dual boost/A:F gauge with Innovate LC-1, purchased from Winston (bought LC-1 elsewhere for $155 shipped for sensor and controller brand new in box).

To AudiNFS, I haven't installed it yet because this is for my BT kit. I read the instructions, and install is rather straight forward. As Winston said, you will require a bung for the sensor to be plugged into the downpipe. Then simply follow the install instructions supplied with the Innovate wideband. The only thing needed from your vehicle to make this work is a power source.

On a side note, Winston has some great products. I def grabbed one more dual gauge during his Black Friday sale[up].

black99.5a4
12-05-2010, 05:22 PM
If your tune has your rear o2 wrote out, you can just stick it there. You have to calibrate it outside of the bung so its got fresh air and its not concealed. it also fully heats, so dont lay it somewhere. I just finished hooking up the LC-1 with the VEI gauge in a PODI pod for the b6. Install was stupid easy and lets hope when she fires up, she's good and ready to work.

the wideband, like the lc-1 innovative, works completely independent and only needs its wires wired to a gauge and screwed into the bung (after calibration).

winston@podi.ca
12-05-2010, 05:53 PM
If your tune has your rear o2 wrote out, you can just stick it there. You have to calibrate it outside of the bung so its got fresh air and its not concealed. it also fully heats, so dont lay it somewhere. I just finished hooking up the LC-1 with the VEI gauge in a PODI pod for the b6. Install was stupid easy and lets hope when she fires up, she's good and ready to work.

the wideband, like the lc-1 innovative, works completely independent and only needs its wires wired to a gauge and screwed into the bung (after calibration).

Make sure you free air calibrate the sensor, install LM Programmer and check to make sure the LC-1 is set for 14.7 (Gasoline) and the wideband output range is set to default range.

Then you have to set your VEI gauge endpoints Ya to 7.4 and Yb to 22.4 to match the LC-1 default output range. If you have chosen to narrow the LC-1 output range for better accuracy, like 10-20 vs 7.4-22.4 then you have to set the VEI endpoints to match otherwise you will get incorrect readings displayed.

JumboBlack1.8
12-05-2010, 06:21 PM
My advice is to make sure you follow the Innovate instructions EXACTLY as they are written. If you are told to ground to the engine block.....DO it....don't cut corners. I've installed a few of these in my cars, and I've always experienced problems when I'd ground to anything but the block itself (I've even used ground points that some of the harnesses use, but the wideband would throw a code and stop working). The wideband is very sensitive to ground currents, and it will throw a code and stop working after a while. I grounded mostly everything to coilpack harness ground on top of the valve cover. My gauge has been working great for months

Seerlah
12-05-2010, 06:32 PM
Hey Jumbo, I have a question. The intructions said to try and avoid adding the power source line to a source that already has units hooked up to it. My battery has my amplifier for my stereo hooked up to it, and I use the constant terminal x unit for my gauges and turbo timer. Would there be complications if I use this same terminal for the controller power source? If so, where would you recommend me hook mine up to?

winston@podi.ca
12-05-2010, 07:24 PM
I have the LC-1 connected to the same terminal strip that powers my VEI gauges and boost controller, I tie all the grounds together using a terminal strip as well to avoid a floating ground.

I done testing and have measured a difference in AFR reading when comparing grounding the LC-1 to the battery and to the same ground as the VEI gauge.

Seerlah
12-05-2010, 07:34 PM
Thanks!