PDA

View Full Version : BT Time

fenderstrat1184
12-05-2010, 09:41 AM
So my clutch is beginning to slip in 4th and I need to replace the ac compressor clutch. I want to go BT and keep my current exhaust and fmic setup for this build (borla catback and ractec fmic). What bt would work well with that combo? gt28rs? gt2871r? I'm pretty open to suggestions.

hercfe
12-05-2010, 09:48 AM
Either one would be fine. For the street I'd probably go with the GTRS/2860 rather than the 2871-unless you plan on doing a full frame hotside. That's the only way I'd do a 2871R on a 1.8t.

Nateness
12-05-2010, 02:30 PM
If emissions are not an issue, and youve got upgraded rods, Id give a serious look at going with a TD05. This could be one of the cheapest ways achieve GT28R power without the large Garret/Honeywell pricetag. PSI concepts makes the exhaust manifold, the downpipe, and sells the OEM MHI TD05 to make this happen. You will need to do some hw on which software/injectors to go with...

Turbo Nerd
12-05-2010, 03:32 PM
I bought mine already with a 2871 but it's on a stock clutch and a giac ecux k04 tune (lemmiwinked a little bit). It's not bad considering it's on 10psi but when I install my upgraded clutch I'm getting a full vast custom tune. Right now my friend with his k04'd jetta gets me by about a car but my tune won't let me go past 7k rpm and I have a built head. All in all I'm happy with the setup and it's not even that fast right now.

black99.5a4
12-05-2010, 05:12 PM
If you dont plan on doing rods or wanting to really push the limits. if you want something that you can get in and go on a stock motor.. i would go Garret 2860, plus it wont heat sink the fmic you have. I would grab a set of 440's, Tapp tune OTS and call it a day.

Seerlah
12-05-2010, 05:37 PM
The Racetek has been proven to not be effecient on hot summer days. They are currently making a 2.5" thick intercooler kit, but it isn't on the market yet. But for stock internals, do not look to push your vehicle past roughly 350chp (even though torque snaps rods, those numbers are not far behind) simply for longevity of your engine.

What is the diameter of the Borla system? A 2.5" system will suffice (replace your downpipe with a larger one) for a 350chp application (even a larger turbo pushing lower boost). But won't be as effecient as a 3" system. I have a 2.75" and will have a custom 3" dp mated to it. Then upgrade to a full 3" later on.

black99.5a4
12-05-2010, 05:40 PM
the racetec def sucks but for the smaller turbo guys, its okay.. i wouldnt put it on a 2871 or bigger and hot days puts a hurting on most ic's. some worse then others.. im not sure if the er would of been a better route, but it was already bought.

i really think the borla is 2.25, some were 2.5 but you cant find them now