PDA

View Full Version : NEED SOME QUICK HELP PLEASE! I'm at a salvage yard and buying a 1.8T motor and ....

2.7turbo
12-04-2010, 11:12 AM
I have a 99 1.8T AEB manual trans drive by cable engine and after driving 2 hours with a uhaul I'm standing in front of a ATW drive by wire engine.... Will it work? I don't really have the resources to search so can someone please help me out and let me know if I can go from an AEB to an ATW without too much work? Please let me know asap please!!

Vinchenzo51
12-04-2010, 11:48 AM
i did a few quick google searches and most say it can be done as long as its auto to auto or manual to manual, but they all say its a very difficult swap because there are very many differences

im not sure what they mean by differences but thats what i've read in a few threads

2.7turbo
12-06-2010, 08:27 AM
ended up purchasing the motor. From what I understand going from an aeb to an atw involves changing the intake manifold along with fuel rail / injectors, blocking off the secondary air intake outlet on the back of the head and possibly changing the camshaft position sensor wheel/ window.

anyone know anything else regarding the swap?

terraflata
12-06-2010, 08:33 AM
What was wrong with your old engine? You may just have to change a few select parts using your old engine.

2.7turbo
12-06-2010, 12:30 PM
the current engine was ran low on coolant and overheated. melted the cam journals nicely to the point the cam shaft wouldn't move. i bought a replacement aeb and that one was junk as well. what a hassle.