PDA

View Full Version : oil light flash and beep

Ghostrider
12-02-2010, 06:59 AM
Ok, cold start either overnight or 4-5 hours. Car starts normal, upon making a left turn the oil light comes on and flashes along with the beep. Flashes for about six times. Does it only two times. Oil level is normal, synthetic oil is used. Weather ranges from low 20's to mid 30's overnight. Engine is a 2.8 V6 30 Valve

ECS Tuning-Audi
12-02-2010, 07:20 AM
What weight oil are you using?

Ghostrider
12-02-2010, 07:22 AM
10W30 Pennzoil synthetic

ECS Tuning-Audi
12-02-2010, 07:32 AM
I suspect your oil pickup tube is partially blocked, causing low oil pressure while the oil is cold. How many miles on the vehicle? History of regular oil changes?

Ghostrider
12-02-2010, 07:38 AM
I change the oil every 5-5500 miles. Approximately 123XXX on the car. What is the easiest and most inexpensive way to unblock the pickup tube? Car gets driven daily 5 mile one way commute, and once a month goes for a 200 +/- highway speed drive.

ECS Tuning-Audi
12-02-2010, 07:45 AM
If it only occurs when ice cold, you may be fine just changing to a 0W-30 or 0W-40 oil for winter. The thinner oil will flow more freely when cold.

Check under your oil cap. Does it have signs of sludge? Assuming there is, there are several methods for removing sludge from your engine. First, is to switch to a high mileage oil that has more detergents than a standard oil, and shorten your oil change interval to 2500 miles, then you can increase to 3500, and then back to 5000. You can also try a product like Seafoam or autoRX to de-sludge your engine. If all else fails, you will have to drop the pan and physically clean out the screen and pan.

I would try switching to a high-mileage 0W-30 or 0W-40 first.

protocol_droid
12-02-2010, 08:25 AM
There may not be sludge and you can very well have carbon deposits clogging your pickup tube. That's what did mine in. You need to have the oil pressure checked ASAP especially since your oil levels are fine. If it's low, the pickup tube is usually the culprit. You have to remove the oil pan and two bolts to release the pickup tube. It's actually a long process. You can tackle it by either following the bentley manual and use an engine stand/hoist OR unbolt the front portion of the lower subframe and then pull the pan out..that's what I did. Took a whole day to do the job to replace a $20 pickup tube part. The thread below has some good links within that I used as a walkthrough.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/352525-Oil-pump-filter-and-pickup?highlight=

oh yeah, get the pressure test done or you may have a blown turbo like I did due to oil starvation!

coolgraymemo
12-02-2010, 08:52 AM
^
he's a 2.8 so no turbo.

but yea, most likely clogged pick-up tube. you should replace your oil pump while your down there.

adr3naline fix
12-02-2010, 09:43 AM
The 2.8's are not nearly as prone to sludge as the 1.8T, but to find out, I'd pull your valve cover off while you're at it. You will be able to tell if there is sludge immediately. (A 30-Minute job)

protocol_droid
12-02-2010, 12:07 PM
^^didn't see that, 1.8 v 2.8. correct.

Bvulic
12-03-2010, 10:30 PM
Dude, It's all about your oil viscosity. 10w-30 is too thin at operating temperature. 10w-40 would be better the problem will be resolved. i just had the same problem happen to me too and this helped.

walky_talky20
12-03-2010, 11:23 PM
There are generally only 2 reasons for that light to come on. Either the oil pressure switch is faulty or the oil pressure is *actually* low. Sure the viscosity of the oil can change the pressure, but not enough to turn the light on unless there is an underlying problem.

Because of the severity of the situation (the possibility of the engine running with zero or very low oil pressure, there are only 2 diagnostic steps:
1 - Check oil level (dipstick). If ok >>
2 - Check oil pressure

If the pressure checks good, change the switch. If it doesn't, you've got more work to do. Sure, changing the viscosity of oil you are using might *just* keep the light off. Then you'll be cruising around on bare minimum oil pressure. I don't know about you, but I don't want my engine running on bare minimum anything.