PDA

View Full Version : does this sound fishy/suspicious??

santorin288
03-07-2005, 09:51 AM
ok, so as some of you know, i am selling my car. and of course ive had a few leads and a few tire kickers but i had one guy email me about his interest..

basically, he says that my car is the same specs as specified by his client, who wants my car. he asked about it and gave the usual request for pics, etc.

so we agreed on a price and he says that he wants to get it for his client.

then he tellls me that he needs to send me a cashiers check for the total amount.

the only problem is that he is sending me 17,500 instead of 10k which is what we agreed on. he said that once i get the money, to send him a cashiers check back in the amount of 7,500.

he explained that the reason is because his client apparently wrote a cashiers check for 17,500 for another car but then wanted mine instead which is 10,000. but apparently some policy only allows the Ccheck to be refunded once and yada yada yada.

so basically, he sends me money for my car plus 7.5k over the amount. then i send him back the 7.5k and then once its done and i have my money and they have theirs, they wil come and take care of dellivery of the car.

does this sound fishy at all??? why would anyone do this?

im asking because i obviously dont wanna be scamed or anything.

tell me what you think.

bmx672
03-07-2005, 09:55 AM
That's the oldest trick in the book...
Tell him to send you the money... deposit it and wait a couple of weeks to see it it's good... Then when the guy starts to email you about your money, just tell him that you don't know what he's talking about etc... etc... In the mean time try and find an address etc and report him to the police.

santorin288
03-07-2005, 10:01 AM
so how does he "get away" with it.

i send him 7.5k that i never got? is that it?
or do they take the car ??

i wanna report him but i want to know a little bit more to have the uppe hand.

Bastard!

EVIL-AUDI
03-07-2005, 10:05 AM
haha, search the internet, it's been a done a ton of times. Yeah it's a rip off.

MR VTEC
03-07-2005, 10:08 AM
scam

buck
03-07-2005, 10:16 AM
it is a scam for sure. reply with "your client doesn't deserve my car".

AudiMV
03-07-2005, 10:38 AM
i would say just pass up on the buyer and wait for somebody who wont screw you over, its an a4, the wait for another buyer wont be long! ha!

pearl1.8T
03-07-2005, 11:04 AM
i dunno about that return policy...i worked at the bank for 9 months...he should be able to go back in and void the cashiers check or just deposit it back into his account...i don't think there's such a policy that only lets u return 1 cashiers check...at least not at bank of america

brettuzzi
03-07-2005, 11:17 AM
dont even try and deposit the cheque, i guarantee the bank will charge processing fees to you (they have no one else to stick the fees with)...

rbt
03-07-2005, 11:18 AM
let me guess, he has a *****ian sounding name, like Ugudala Ngwawaba or somethign like that??![rolleyes]
This person is out to steal from you, it's a bit comical at the same time but at the end of the day he is a criminal.

if you have the inclination, I'd say just f**k with him and just play a long email game with him to let him think he's 'got a bite'. then after all that tell him you ended up selling the car to another nice *****ian gentleman...that will ruin his day for sure.

rbt
03-07-2005, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by rbt
let me guess, he has a *****ian sounding name, like Ugudala Ngwawaba or somethign like that??![rolleyes]
This person is out to steal from you, it's a bit comical at the same time but at the end of the day he is a criminal.

if you have the inclination, I'd say just f**k with him and just play a long email game with him to let him think he's 'got a bite'. then after all that tell him you ended up selling the car to another nice *****ian gentleman...that will ruin his day for sure.

WTF? AZ auto-edited my post above? My typing of N-I-G-E-R-I-A-N ended up as *****ian?

santorin288
03-07-2005, 11:46 AM
yeah, i plan on messing with him.
let him send me a check, not deposit it, just mess with him

he would email and i would be like...what are you talking about? what check?

he uses the name Duane Hunt. i had him call me and he DID NOT sound like a Duane. he had a VERY thick accent.

lmao

nmarkusA4
03-07-2005, 01:01 PM
My friends dad got jacked like this. Only it was for a boat. And he never saw his money again and he did contact the police.

IndieRockSteve
03-07-2005, 01:30 PM
I'm confused.
do banks charge you when you deposit a cashiers check?

I'm assuming not. So, couldn't you deposit the check, wait for it to clear and the money to be transfered, then cut him a PERSONAL check for the 7.5 and send it to him?

matt@oCarbon
03-07-2005, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by IndieRockSteve
I'm confused.
do banks charge you when you deposit a cashiers check?

I'm assuming not. So, couldn't you deposit the check, wait for it to clear and the money to be transfered, then cut him a PERSONAL check for the 7.5 and send it to him?

the check wont clear. hes basically floating a check to you, hoping you send him $7.5k. once the bank catches up on the transactions and figures out the one he sent you is fake, he's long gone and cashed your real check and you're out $7.5k

very played out scam.

TurbousMaximus
03-07-2005, 02:03 PM
thats a very good deal on you car so you shouldnt have a problem selling it. If it had less miles itd already be at my house :)

Ben@SpeedBarn
03-07-2005, 03:08 PM
I probably got at least 100 emails like that when I was selling my car on autotrader.com. It was getting annoying. I started telling them I wanted $3,000,000 for my car but they would still write back saying that their client was interested and just wanted pics of the interior and engine bay. They always "hoped" that I had the oil changed regularly.

nizmosx
03-07-2005, 03:40 PM
I SAY YOU TELL HIM sounds good, send me the check then turn the check to the authorities and dont let him know. hopefully there is an investigation, this type of fraud happens alot. hope this helps

nizmosx
03-07-2005, 03:43 PM
ohh and what happens if you take his check and then ask for cash instead of depositing it. will they later on catch it and get the cash back from whomever cashed it or what.

A4 in SC
03-07-2005, 04:06 PM
I believe I still have a cashiers check for $11000 for payment on my Mk2 Golf. [:D] No, I never did anything with it. I knew this was one way it actually cost 'him' a little money. I am assuming he had to pay to get a check drafted, and had to pay for the FedEx delivery...[;)] A little thing I could to do persuade people like this from 'trying' to scam others...

matt@oCarbon
03-07-2005, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by nizmosx
ohh and what happens if you take his check and then ask for cash instead of depositing it. will they later on catch it and get the cash back from whomever cashed it or what.

any legit check cashing place will call in a check of that size to make sure the account has sufficiant funds.

if you took it to your own bank, depending on your account standing with them (how long you've been with them, account balance, etc) they might cash it for you without calling it in. however, 3-7 days later when the check bounces you'd owe your bank the amount of the check.

Rosati
03-07-2005, 05:11 PM
i worked in a bank those funds can be turned straight into an account immediately and another check can be wrtitten out

good thing you asked about this :up:

Nor_Cal_Driver
03-07-2005, 05:29 PM
Can't you cash it at the bank the cheque is drawn off of assuming there is enough funds?

kdp
03-07-2005, 07:05 PM
this is perfectly legit, i do it all the time

jjjoe
03-07-2005, 08:29 PM
My brother got one of those deals once. He just e-mailed back to tell them to quit wasting his time.

sxates
03-07-2005, 08:53 PM
I wouldn't even take a check from them. I got the same thing when I was selling my mazda. I was totally going to mess with them, but I didn't want to give them my address, so I just dropped it.

SoloSpeed101
03-07-2005, 09:00 PM
lol you could always use a po box hahaha

G-low
03-08-2005, 09:48 AM
yeah like what has been said your bank will allow up to a certain amount of the deposited check to be withdrawn on "good faith" that it will clear. it doesnt have to clear for you to withdraw funds agains it for some reason and when it doesnt clear and you took out 7500 they get payed and you get charged the 7500

stay far away from that my friend very bad situation

yellowaudi24psi
03-08-2005, 11:42 AM
sounds like a good deal to me...... lol report his a$$ to the police

jones3000
03-08-2005, 05:41 PM
I've gotten a few of those. Scam to the fullest.