PDA

View Full Version : Power steering problem (searched) :(

AWDFTW
12-01-2010, 09:31 AM
I just put in a new power steering pump, line, and rack and pinion yesterday, and as soon as it was put in the power steering wasn't working very well. After a few cycles of turning it was fine at high rpms, but at idle it had no power steering. I did even more cycles and pretty soon power steering worked all the time. Probably air still in the system.

So I was driving today and made a u-turn. The steering felt pretty heavy so I pulled over into a parking lot. Same problem. No power steering at idle, perfect power steering at higher (900+) rpms. I tried doing cycles (I sat there for about 10 minutes revving it and turning my wheel, then idle turning my wheel), with no success.

Any input is appreciated.

[headbang]

Thanks,
John

blacka4
12-01-2010, 09:43 AM
do you have underdrive pullies? i'm going to guess you don't and everything worked fine before the installation? maybe you put a line on backwards? I dunno, I'm just throwing stuff out there

AWDFTW
12-01-2010, 09:52 AM
do you have underdrive pullies? i'm going to guess you don't and everything worked fine before the installation? maybe you put a line on backwards? I dunno, I'm just throwing stuff out there

No, nothing worked before the installation, that's why everything was being replaced :p and if I did something wrong, why was it working for a long time before it gave out?

walky_talky20
12-01-2010, 04:03 PM
What kind of fluid is in the system?

Are the parts OEM? If not, what are they?

AWDFTW
12-01-2010, 04:23 PM
Idk, it's good fluid though. Not the cheapo stuff. And all parts are OEM.

walky_talky20
12-01-2010, 04:50 PM
Idk, it's good fluid though. Not the cheapo stuff. And all parts are OEM.

Really? The system is supposed to take a Mineral Hydraulic fluid. It is special fluid. Enough to fill the system should cost about $40. Also, a new OEM power steering pump is like $250. And a new OEM rack is like $800. Did you really pay that much?

It sounds to me like there is problem with the pump or the rack. The wierd reaction to RPM you were getting before would lead me more towards a bad pump, though.

blacka4
12-01-2010, 05:20 PM
Really? The system is supposed to take a Mineral Hydraulic fluid. It is special fluid. Enough to fill the system should cost about $40. Also, a new OEM power steering pump is like $250. And a new OEM rack is like $800. Did you really pay that much?

It sounds to me like there is problem with the pump or the rack. The wierd reaction to RPM you were getting before would lead me more towards a bad pump, though.

thats where I am leaning, the pump could be going bad, and I ment that the system worked way before it failed and you replaced all the parts

AWDFTW
12-01-2010, 06:45 PM
It's a refurbished pump and rack. The rack set me back about $375, and the pump was about $125. And yes, I'm using that power steering fluid.

walky_talky20
12-01-2010, 07:09 PM
The way the pump is set up, it actually makes less pressure when it comes off idle. That way you get more assist during parking and less during cruising, for better road-feel.

You described getting *no* assist at idle and *some* assist at higher rpm. That would not indicate a problem with the rack, as it did give you assist. The problem was the assist only happened at higher rpm. The only thing in the system that has an rpm input is the pump, as it is driven by the crankshaft. So based on this reasoning, I'm putting in my vote for a bad pump.

If it were mine, I'd try a used OEM pump first. You can get a good used pump for an A4 2.8 from a junkyard for $20...with a warranty. Used OEM racks are around $75, with a warranty. If you get both at the same place, they might even throw in the hydraulic lines.

prodrive
12-02-2010, 12:35 AM
I agree with him ^^. Buy an OEM pump and oem pressure line from pump to the rack. Check the oil filter at the reservoir ...change the reservoir if nessesary. There are two pressure check valves at the pressure hose. Make sure they both available. Make sure you have used the green cap steering fluid from Audi not the red one. Thats all I can say :)

AWDFTW
12-02-2010, 12:07 PM
That sounds all fine and dandy guys, but like I said... all my stuff IS oem and was tested before it left the place where I got it from..