PDA

View Full Version : catch can port?

Jc61990
12-01-2010, 09:31 AM
so my valve cover is shot on my car, the screw holes for the coil packs are stripped and have broken bolts in them. i have another valve cover in my room but it has a NPT fitting on it for a catch can.

i have an AEB motor. theres no work done other than a chip and exhaust. i dont really need a catchcan. is there anything i can do to bypass that port so i dont have to use it? or should i get a catch can for the hell of it lol..

its a factoy AEB v/c but i bought it off the classifieds like last year, and who ever had it before me, drilled a hole in the top of the valve cover by the oil cap and added in a port there. its done up pretty legit. but it dont need the port right now.

walky_talky20
12-01-2010, 09:35 AM
Well, you have a few options. You can just cap the port and be done. You can plumb it into the existing PCV system (T it into the line that goes to the PRV, aka the pancake valve). Or you can re-plumb the system for a catch can setup. So that is probably easy/medium/hard as far as the options go.

Jc61990
12-01-2010, 06:09 PM
okay, but i was looking it up online on catch can installs. now it looks like i disconnect the pancake valve from the metal pcv recirc pipe and connect the catch can inbetween it like this...

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c102/dick5238/OilCatchCanDIY050.jpg

yeah its on a corrado, but u get the point...

i can do that no problem.. but this is my problem.. i have this port on my v/c... so what would come off the port and where would it go. would i have to run 3 lines?

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c166/jc61990/PICT0277.jpg

A4Rob
12-01-2010, 08:21 PM
That is a pretty goofy place to tap the valve cover. I would just cap it and call it good.

Jc61990
12-02-2010, 03:49 AM
That is a pretty goofy place to tap the valve cover. I would just cap it and call it good.

yeah, i got it off the classifieds here. someone tapped it previous to me owning i t

sgt_g
12-02-2010, 03:10 PM
yeah, i got it off the classifieds here. someone tapped it previous to me owning i t

Just take it out and go to Home depot and get a brass plug. make sure to wrap the plug with plenty of thread tape and screw it in and call it a day. plug should only be a few bucks just take the fitting with you to make sure you get the right size threading and what not.