PDA

View Full Version : gas tank level? helpp

A4 Dream
11-28-2010, 02:05 PM
I have a 2.8 98 sedan.
As soon as i get on a hill or my gas needle reaches an 8th of a tank it drops to empt. I replaced my cluster so that's a non issue. Any ideas

Avant Nate
11-28-2010, 06:37 PM
Seems like you just need to add gas. Either that our you have some build up on the sending unit contacts. You could try pulling it and cleaning it. There's a diy for that somewhere.

MikeD7
11-28-2010, 07:50 PM
VSS if its not the sending unit

Polski
11-28-2010, 10:01 PM
Has your car ever had a serious impact accident?

A4 Dream
11-29-2010, 11:44 AM
No, As far as I know my car is accident free. My old guage cluster used to not even read my gas amount. Got a new cluster and now it works... but I dont think its very accurate. Ill have about a half tank and my cluster will say that I only have like 60 miles til empty? maybe even less... I drove from tacoma wa to leavenworth wa and took hwy 2 the whole way. I only used a half tank. It said I only had 100 miles to empty. (Far from correct.)

what is VSS?

A4 Dream
11-29-2010, 11:45 AM
also, if I leave my car on some kind of incline... my gas amount changes dramtically.

I have a friend that had the same problem in his e30 TWICE! he just replaced the sending unit.

Polski
11-29-2010, 01:01 PM
Try cleaning the fuel level lever.
It takes 5 mins,
Remove 3 screws of the cover (under the carpet, behind the passenger rear seat in the trunk, remove it
Unplug the plug on the cover of fuel pump along with the two hoses in/out
then remove the black ring that holds everything down
remove the fuel pump cover.. the lever will be visible, you just press a little clip and pull up. then unglug it
It could be a couple of things, dirty contacts that need cleaning, a ruptured ground wire, or a dirty reading metal plate.
In any case, once you take out the whole mechanism, its easy to clean/fix it..

DIY: http://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec77.shtml

Avant Nate
11-29-2010, 11:42 PM
Try cleaning the fuel level lever.
It takes 5 mins,
Remove 3 screws of the cover (under the carpet, behind the passenger rear seat in the trunk, remove it
Unplug the plug on the cover of fuel pump along with the two hoses in/out
then remove the black ring that holds everything down
remove the fuel pump cover.. the lever will be visible, you just press a little clip and pull up. then unglug it
It could be a couple of things, dirty contacts that need cleaning, a ruptured ground wire, or a dirty reading metal plate.
In any case, once you take out the whole mechanism, its easy to clean/fix it..

Pp

DIY: http://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec77.shtml

5 minutes.....you crazy!

Polski
11-30-2010, 12:37 AM
ok maybe i exaggerated, more like 15-30.
i've done it so many times that it seems fast for me.