PDA

View Full Version : Some more headlight drama, need some help

lucidor
11-25-2010, 12:50 PM
I might shoot myself if I have to clean or replace the headlight switch on my 99 one more time. I could probably take off the steering wheel, plastic covers, and all the relays with my eyes closed I've done it so many times. I have replaced it 3 times and cleaned it at least 10 times.

For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about audi decided that the headlight system should rely on a $.02 part that melts over time.

What I need to know is if there is any type of conversion kit or at least someone who knows which wires are the ones which control the headlights behind the switch so I can run it to something more practical.[confused][confused]

Thanks!

walky_talky20
11-25-2010, 02:55 PM
Just put a relay in the system: one each for the low beams and high beams. That will drastically reduce the current that flows through the switch, thus reducing the heat inside that causes the problems.

IMO, the entire problem here is the switch and terminals are just not adequate for the load that is put on them (too much current draw). As the resistance builds at the contacts, the heat rises, which creates more resistance, until it melts the plastic and fails completely.

All you have to do is copy the dead-reliable Honda/Toyota system. Use the switch to merely trigger 2 relays that operate the high beams and low beams. It will reduce the current draw through the switch from ~14 Amps to about .3 Amps. 14 Amps is the approximate current draw with both the high beams and low beams on (dual halogen setup). 2 30A automotive relays would only pull about 300mA in comparison. I'd give that a shot before attaching some ghetto Autozone switches to your dash.

This will require some wiring work to accomplish. Not a plug and play situation, but neither is adding your own switches.

^^IMO. Good Luck.

urban96
11-25-2010, 04:41 PM
They make HID relay kits that would be pretty easy to adapt for halogen use

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j63/Jay_M05/HID%20Kit/bosch%20kit%20and%20relay%20harness/RelayHarnessH7Labeled.jpg

you would just have to use the correct H7 bulb connectors in place of the ballast connectors

lucidor
11-28-2010, 07:04 PM
I ended up finding the wires that corresponded to the headlights on the little relay thing behind the headlight switch and just wiring them to a switch I bought at Kragens. I was just fed up with having to having to take everything apart to fix that damn switch.

If anyone is interested I can write up a DIY

walky_talky20
11-28-2010, 07:45 PM
So you've got 2 switches? 1 for high's and 1 for low's? Or a 2 position switch?

lucidor
11-29-2010, 09:51 AM
I just took out the wires that were for low beams and wired them to a switch. Then hooked everything back up, i have to lift the lever like normal to turn on side markers and rear running lights but my switch controls low beams since that is the part that melts originally.