PDA

View Full Version : What is this leak (tranny, diff, ?) ? Any suggestions? (pics)

netsatwork
11-22-2010, 03:00 PM
I picked up a 2000 A4Q 2.8 Auto a few months back for my wife and it has leaked slightly since we got it. I'm not really familiar with the car yet, so can someone give me some ideas on the leak and possible solutions? The pics were taken from the middle of the car looking towards the front and front passenger side. You can see the small drip that is getting ready to fall in one pic and the 'damp' sections of the under body. Please let me know if you need more detail. Thanks.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasonsed/sets/72157625448817224/

Audi0s
11-22-2010, 03:09 PM
What color is it? Same as the oil? Hard to tell from the pics where its coming from. Wed need a clear shot at the rears of the cylinder heads.Gear oil Id say it was an axle shaft seal. Motor oil would be valve covers and chain tensioner gaskets, although youd smell it burning at idle with the blower on.

netsatwork
11-22-2010, 06:14 PM
It is a lighter color than the motor oil. I do smell a slight burning smell when the blower is on or when pulling into the garage, but my '96 A6 kind of had the same smell so I did not think much of it. I don't know if they are related, but this leak seems be originating near the tranny. I'll try to get more pics. Thanks,