PDA

View Full Version : Code keeps popping!

jdaudi
11-21-2010, 08:15 PM
Hey guys, for some reason my 05 C6 keeps popping the "Left brake light" and "Left turn signal" out. Now when I get out, they do not work. If I turn the car off and on, it works great. This just seemed to start happening. It happens a ton now, probably 1 in 5 rides. Im not even sure where to look or start or diagnose the problem. Can someone help me out?

Update: the left (problematic one) is working now, but the LEDs are very dim. Then it will go out. Will a VAG COM diagnose this any firther? I really hate to buy two new assemblys because my right one is doing the same thing now. Someone said a "driver" may be bad?

Greedo
11-21-2010, 08:24 PM
Loose connections. Chances are the bulbs are not making a full connection and when you drive it's tripping the warning.

Just pull the housing, remove the bulbs and gently pry the prongs up to get better contact.

jdaudi
11-21-2010, 08:52 PM
Hey Greedo, excuse my dumbness, but when I look beside the MMI i dont see a very... easy.. way to even get to the bulbs. No screws, or anything that looks like it comes apart. Any chances I could post some pictures and you can show me what to take off?

Kevin1
11-22-2010, 04:40 AM
Unfortunately on the C6 you have to replace the entire light unit. I had the same problem a few months back. It is a rather common problem with the C6 Audis. You can either order the part through the dealer or at the various websire selling Audi parts.

jdaudi
11-22-2010, 05:57 AM
Are you serious? Why replace the entire thing. There is nothing I can check? How much is it

Greedo
11-22-2010, 12:00 PM
You need to remove the tail light housing. The MMI has nothing to do with the problem.

If the A6 is anything like the A4, you just pop the trunk (or hatch if you have an avant) and there's a cap that covers a screw. It's a philips head and it's long; a trick is to unscrew it as you pull the tail light so you keep pressure on it allowing it to pop out of the housing.

A good way to determine if it is just the bulb is to have someone hold their foot on the brake while you have the assembly out and gently tap the bulb. If it ever so slightly moves and kills the bulb, it's the connection.

Kevin1
11-22-2010, 05:32 PM
Are you serious? Why replace the entire thing. There is nothing I can check? How much is it

Here is a thread where this rather common issue is discussed. If you read through the entire thread you will discover that all of the other so-called fixes eventually failed and that the only fix was to replace the entire unit.

I forget the price, but I did eventually pay the dealer to replace the unit in my car.

http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=2746075&highlight=brake

whehd79
11-22-2010, 05:44 PM
+1
Entire assambly changed with same issue.

jdaudi
11-27-2010, 06:32 PM
+1
Entire assambly changed with same issue.

You replaced the assembly and the issue is still occuring for it? Oddly, it hasn't popped in a few weeks and i've done nothing.

Kevin1
11-28-2010, 04:45 AM
You replaced the assembly and the issue is still occuring for it? Oddly, it hasn't popped in a few weeks and i've done nothing.

I believe that he is saying that he experienced the same issues and ended up replacing the entire unit.

As far as my experience, the problem started intermittent with it "popping" every couple of weeks, then it "popped" anytime the car ran for longer than 30 minutes, then it popped everytime the car ran for longer than 15 minutes. This cycle lasted about 6-8 weeks before I replaced the entire unit. I had the unit replaced 8 months ago and have not had the problem since.

jdaudi
12-11-2010, 04:29 PM
I havent figured out how to take the taillight out. I pulled off the black cap, took out the bolt, it's still in place, but shakes a little. Also, I seemed to notice it goes out on really bumpy roads. If I go into the trunk and moves the wires around that go to the taillight, it doesn't happen for a while again. Just such an odd problem. Audi say anything officially about this? TSB?

jdaudi
10-16-2011, 04:51 PM
Hey anyone - I still cannot pull my taillight out. Seems there are 3 nuts I take off. It still seems to be locked in there. Any ideas? Now my right one is doing the same thing. I turn the car off and on, it works again.

Update: the left (problematic one) is working now, but the LEDs are very dim. Then it will go out.

whehd79
10-20-2011, 01:26 PM
Hey anyone - I still cannot pull my taillight out. Seems there are 3 nuts I take off. It still seems to be locked in there. Any ideas? Now my right one is doing the same thing. I turn the car off and on, it works again.

Update: the left (problematic one) is working now, but the LEDs are very dim. Then it will go out.

According to what I was told from a tech when I had the same problem,
the light was going out as the temperature of the light goes up,
which could be applied the term that most people say they are worn out.
And that's why they goes out when you run the car for a while and come back when you restart the car.

I do not know how to take them out since a tech replaced mine.
take a look what I have found from other audi forum below.

http://www.audi-forums.com/c6-forum/54793-c6-audi-a6-warning-brake-parking.html

Hope it helps.
Thanks.

jdaudi
10-21-2011, 06:13 AM
According to what I was told from a tech when I had the same problem,
the light was going out as the temperature of the light goes up,
which could be applied the term that most people say they are worn out.
And that's why they goes out when you run the car for a while and come back when you restart the car.

I do not know how to take them out since a tech replaced mine.
take a look what I have found from other audi forum below.

http://www.audi-forums.com/c6-forum/54793-c6-audi-a6-warning-brake-parking.html

Hope it helps.
Thanks.

That helped a ton! I am going to try it. Only thing is my tails are LED and his are halogen.. I will try though, thanks!