PDA

View Full Version : burning oil question

auh
11-21-2010, 10:44 AM
So I'm a little confused with this one guys.

My car is burning a lot of oil, but only at idle. Now where the confusing comes in is when I check my oil on the dipstick, the oil level doesn't change, it keeps staying at the max line.

Any ideas? I noticed when working taking off my axle shafts that I had a lot of oil dripped onto the motor near the turbo that needs to be cleaned off. My guess is its from when I had my valve cover gasket changed.

wildbill
11-21-2010, 11:19 AM
affirmative....the heat shield can act as a guide to drop oil directly on the cat....which is why you smell oil

auh
11-21-2010, 11:31 AM
I smell it, but I also am seeing it smoke out of the exhaust pipe

Polski
11-21-2010, 04:01 PM
maybe you are burning something else,
how is your coolant level?

FNK
11-21-2010, 06:17 PM
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cm/popularmechanics/images/Ju/PMX0306Smells001-lg-de.jpg
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/repair/2423551

DRock3d
11-21-2010, 06:45 PM
affirmative....the heat shield can act as a guide to drop oil directly on the cat....which is why you smell oil

I can second this, I even have pictures of where it's most likely dripping onto the cat.

Drips from here
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u71/XGamer15/148185304_photobucket_15197_.jpg
Onto here
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u71/XGamer15/148185304_photobucket_15198_.jpg

I'm doing the cam chain tensioner gasket Wednesday when the tool comes in, that hopefully fixes it.

Corrado_Guy
11-21-2010, 07:29 PM
What's the weather like in your area? When it is cold you will get condensation which comes out of the tail pipe as steam or white smoke so you may not have a problem. If the motor is burning something then you will lose liquid and coolant burns white and oil burns with a blue ting to it. Oil can seep or leak from different areas and travel then drop onto something hot and burn there so you really have to look closely. If the car is burning oil internally you don't really notice it unless you are parked because it is pushed out of the back of the car. When the motor is leaking or seeping oil then you have a higher likelihood of it smell it because it is burning under the hood.

Take the covers off of the bottom and top of the motor and use a flashlight and inspect the motor looking closely at all external hoses and all joints, plates, and parts on the motor to see if any of them are leaking. You may also have a leaking power steering rack but that would typically leak straight down and yours is hitting the motor so it has to be on the motor. There are a number of lines going to the turbo as well so take a close look and see if you can see it.

juttin3
11-22-2010, 07:06 AM
can the cam chain tensioner gasket cause the car to burn oil?.. it seems so small and miniscule, my other a4 with 297k miles burns oil when idling also , if you sit in car in park for 5-10 min and drive away there will be a nice poof of smoke left behind.

Audi0s
11-22-2010, 03:17 PM
Well youre kind of talking about 2 different things. The cam tensioner seal can leak, but it will be externally leaking onto the hot catalyst causing the smoke. Youd smell the smoke burning when inside the car at idle and the ac or heats on. It goes away when you start moving. A poof of smoke out the tailpipe means its internally leaking. Probably piston rings or turbo oil seals from the way youre describing it.

DRock3d
11-22-2010, 05:12 PM
can the cam chain tensioner gasket cause the car to burn oil?.. it seems so small and miniscule, my other a4 with 297k miles burns oil when idling also , if you sit in car in park for 5-10 min and drive away there will be a nice poof of smoke left behind.

The burn comes from the oil leaking on to the cat, my car doesn't burn oil out the exhaust.

auh
11-24-2010, 04:23 PM
So I just checked my oil level again to confirm its not consuming oil...and its still not. The exhaust smoke does smell like burnt oil though so now I'm just so confused as to what it could be. Its not so much a sweet smell coming out of my exhaust so I'm pretty sure its not coolant, unless G12 smells different that standard coolants. I'm going to keep on eye on my coolant levels in the reservoir but I don't think thats gone down either.

I read an older thread recently about a guy with similar symptoms to mine with the burning, and it sounded like he was burning coolant in the turbo. Do the turbos have coolant lines running through them? If thats the case it seems like a perfect excuse to switch up to a k04 :)