PDA

View Full Version : Headlight probs..again

Tacosalad
11-19-2010, 04:15 PM
Well I posted awhile ago about my headlights not working and what not. The dims will not work once switched on and I have just running lights. I can get my brights to work only by holding the switch. I know this seems to be a common problem and many found a solution through replacing the switch itself. So I replaced the switch itself on the column which seemed to be the issue and fixed my problem. Its been probably 3 weeks now and my switch went out again. Tonight I'm going to try and clean the connectors on the switch but if that doesn't work. Looks like I'll have to buy a new one. But my question is, could there be something else causing this issue? Maybe a short that's making the switch go out?

Note: I bought my switch used from a wrecking yard to save a little money. Could I be really unlucky and just have two faulty switches?

walky_talky20
11-19-2010, 04:34 PM
Yes, it sounds like you just got un-lucky and need to get a new switch this time. You should check the switch's electrical connector. Some people have had problems with the connector contacts getting melted and burned, wires melting, stuff like that (ie damage near but not inside the switch).

colombian301
11-20-2010, 07:40 AM
Its a DIY Job all u have to do is clean the meted part with some sand paper and ur good to go. There a thead around here with step by step instruction am on audizine mobile so I cant find it at the moment but at home il send u the link!

stevejones19
11-20-2010, 09:22 AM
At this point you have a little bit of a bigger issue than just the switch it seems. Yeah you may just be that unlucky too. lol.

But when you take it apart, take a look at that purple and black 14-pin connector. I started to go though headlight switches quite a bit and noticed this little piece was kind of melted. But once i replaced it and some of the wiring pins that go in it, i haven't had a problem since.

Edit: My bad, i totally only read the first sentence of walky_talky's post. But yeah. Pretty much what he said.

This is the connector i was talking about here. You can see one of those wires is pretty melted
http://i549.photobucket.com/albums/ii374/stevejones19/Headlightwires.jpg

walky_talky20
11-20-2010, 10:00 AM
Steve, thanks for posting. You were the person, and that was the picture I was thinking of. Great.

And thanks for "skimming" my posts...j/k lol!

Tacosalad
11-21-2010, 12:57 AM
Sweets thanks for the replies. Yeah I did what Walky said and looked at my connectors and they all seem fine. Nothing melted, twisted, frayed etc etc. I guess I could have just got really unlucky.