PDA

View Full Version : I'm buying a used Vag-Com cable. How to check its authentic?

alexio senchez
11-19-2010, 08:23 AM
There's a guy on craigslist here selling a Ross-tech HEX-USB Vag-Com cable. Looks like it will be perfect for my 01 a4. I'll be going to meet him tonight to take a look at this thing. How can I make sure its authentic ross-tech? Also, do these cables get "married" to a specific car like Cobb devices do in Subarus, or can it be used on any audi/vw? Any tips or advice will be much appreciated :)

alex

rollerton
11-19-2010, 08:35 AM
It should say Ross-Tech or VagCom right on the end. And no, the cable doesn't get matched to anything- it'll work with any VW/audi car or computer- they have a universal OBD mode too, I've used mine on a couple Mercede's and even a Dodge truck!. I'd say if you hook it up, install the latest version and can run an auto-scan it's probably authentic.
Also, Ross-Tech's software usually knows if the hardware is not authentic..it'll tell you.

biketsai
11-19-2010, 08:43 AM
Just see if it works with your car when you get it! I would bring your laptop and upload the latest vag-com software so you will know if itll work on the spot.

alexio senchez
11-19-2010, 10:15 AM
Excellent. Thank you, fellas.

Alex