PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing an A4 with mods - how to evaluate price?

330ciA4
11-16-2010, 03:01 PM
So I NEED to replace my daily driver - a 95 Volvo 850 (its like driving a refrigerator - I even have a white one!) - and I'm looking at A4s. Other than having a chip and aftermarket air intake in my old BMW 323i, I never really deviated from a stock car. As far as A4s go, a 99-01 2.8L with 5speed, lowered suspension and a nice exhaust is really what I'm looking for. However, I drove this car on Monday, and loved it:

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/2059611194.html

My big issue is that its a Front Wheel Drive. Beyond that there's a good size tear in the driver seat, pixelated display on the instrument cluster and back windows don't work.

So my question is, how do you evaluate a price on a car with all these mods? KBB is $3000ish. Is $5500 a steal for something like this?

Thank you to anyone with some insight!

BlackLock_A4
11-16-2010, 03:07 PM
I say wait for AWD if it is that important to you. Most people say pay for the car + how much you think mods are worth.

adr3naline fix
11-16-2010, 03:09 PM
Most people say pay for the car + how much you think mods are worth.

Which typically is $4 for a turbo, $6 for an exhaust, and $50 for headlights. Mods do not really add value until they get extreme - at least in my experience.

MikeD7
11-16-2010, 03:10 PM
no. 5500 is steep. a decent set of coilovers will cost ~1000 and that puts you at 4K. unless the exhaust is gold plated i doubt its worth 1500 plus the aftermarket stuff is used. the car isnt worth anything cuz it not quattro. you live in philly, you should want awd

Seerlah
11-16-2010, 03:19 PM
Be patient and get a 1.8t quattro in manual if you want to mod. A 2.8 if you don't. But manual transmission with quattro is def the way to go.

justinp95
11-16-2010, 03:24 PM
Honestly, its a clean car, but those are all cheap mods... Maybe for 4k for it. I personally dont have a problem with FWD (I own one) but im sure its a bit easier to deal with in the snow.

Gaberossi
11-16-2010, 03:29 PM
i would offer him $3900 since there is a tear in the seat, and other problems. A chip is ~$599 depending on who he got it from. Wheels I have seen go for $350 w/o tires. You can only have 1 Diverter/blow off valve on a single turbo car at once, make sure he tells you its a Diverter valve not a blow off valve bc BOV's are not meant to be on this engine but i have heard of people using them. They run for $150 new. Headlights if they are OEM RS4 with HID they are very expensive for the pair. Make sure he tells you what kind they are and ask for receipts. Depending on the intake it could be expensive or really cheap, need more info...A Boost gauge starts at $79 where I work(VEI Systems) and goes up depending on color, firmware,etc...tint is $100. Vent pod ~$45.. painting calipers $20(DIY) Grill is ~$100..lowering springs ~$350....like said before they aren't big mods(like building the engine or swapping out the turbo) so 3900 is what I would offer

Spinnetti
11-16-2010, 03:33 PM
Don't buy a modded car unless you know how to evaluate it all. Generally a modded car is worth LESS than a totally stock one, as mods generally reduce the service life in some way, and are often done wrong anyway.. I paid $3k for a nice stock 99 1.8t quattro. Needed some normal maintenance, but very nice inside and out. (I have an 02 that I bought new as my fun car, and have modded the heck out of that).

guy022077
11-16-2010, 03:41 PM
Be patient and get a 1.8t quattro in manual if you want to mod. A 2.8 if you don't. But manual transmission with quattro is def the way to go.

Honestly, its a clean car, but those are all cheap mods... Maybe for 4k for it. I personally dont have a problem with FWD (I own one) but im sure its a bit easier to deal with in the snow.

what these guys said....that price is a little high... wait for a QTM and mod it a bit... or check out the classifieds here, im sure there are some better deals to be had

330ciA4
11-16-2010, 04:22 PM
Thanks for the quick responses, everyone! And thanks for reaffirming my decision to pass it up!

Its rainy in Philadelphia today - it made think about how great the quattro would be!

330ciA4
11-18-2010, 09:34 PM
UPDATE: Glad I said no to the 1.8T FWD.

Picked up a very, very well maintained and cared for 98.5 2.8 Quattro today for $3000. Silver ext/black leather int., Bose, heated seats, 145K miles.

I think I got a good buy, especially considering the condition of many of the other A4s I've looked at in the past few weeks! So here we go...my first A4!