PDA

View Full Version : Cold Start Issues (alternator?)

Amorphic
11-16-2010, 11:23 AM
I have been having a weird issue lately when starting my car in the mornings. It's gotten a bit colder here in northern BC, but only like -5C overnight. When I start my car in the morning it turns over fine and starts but then a second later the rpm's drop and the engine dies. When i start it again it starts up fine. This morning it started and then died, and then I started it again and it died again. Tried for a third time and it was fine. Whats going on here? Alternator? Ive also noticed that sometimes my volts will dip down from 14 to 12 when I am stopped at a red light or something and that the car will studder for a second before going back to 14 volts.

any suggestions?

99blueb5
11-16-2010, 11:41 AM
the alternator is not related to your stalling out issue, as long as the voltage is over 13volts then its fine, the alternators on these cars dont have very high output(depending on the year), try this start it up in the morning and give it some throttle and keep it around 1500, no does it die on your own? also check your battery cables for corrosion

Amorphic
11-16-2010, 11:46 AM
also i forgot to mention this happened a few times in the summer as well.

Amorphic
11-16-2010, 03:00 PM
anyone else have any other ideas?

Amorphic
11-16-2010, 08:55 PM
had the same issue when i got off work today, engine turned over fine and started to drop rpm like it was going to die. gave it some quick gas to keep the idle up and it survived. is it possible im not getting enough injection when im starting up? i dont want this to happen every day when i start the car, especially when it gets really cold

walky_talky20
11-16-2010, 09:00 PM
How many seconds does it run for before it stalls? It may be a vacuum leak problem. I'd check the stored codes and fuel trims first.

somebody5788
11-17-2010, 06:04 AM
Honestly a lot of things could cause it so it's really hard for us to just say "oh it's this!". Like Walky said it could be a vacuum leak, or it could be a leaky injector, or a problem in what ever these things use for cold idle. I believe an 01 uses the throttle body instead of a IAC valve or anything like that though (I don't think any B5 has an IAC does it? built into throttle body?). It might be a good idea to do a throttle body alignment and see what happens. Free and is a "potential" fix.

FNK
11-17-2010, 07:22 AM
The first thing I'd look for is a bad ground. For example a friend car fuel pump ground broke and the car died and would not start.
Second, fuel pressure/delivery. Is the check valve on you fuel pump still good and the fuel filter not clogged?
Any Check engine light?

Audi0s
11-17-2010, 07:33 AM
I had similar problems with my coolant temp sensor. No faults either. Try that, its a quick and easy diy.

Amorphic
11-17-2010, 08:42 AM
cts is relatively new when i did my tbelt job about 6 months ago. I'll try doing a throttle body allignment and check my hoses to see if there are any glaring leaks. it did it again this morning, took 2 tries to start and did not cold start. went to 800rpm right off the bat when it finally did start. when i first try starting it it stays started for maybe 1-2 seconds before the rpms dip and it dies.

Amorphic
11-24-2010, 10:16 AM
update. pretty strong odour of gas last night when i was coming back from work. Must be an injector. its been -25 here so I havent done any major poking around under the hood. will check tonight. fuel economy totally sucks right now so that must be the culprit.