PDA

View Full Version : Yall think the body shop will repaint my bumper?

justinp95
11-16-2010, 10:55 AM
Yall think the body shop will repaint my bumper? I think its scratched deeper than a buffer would work for. I got backed into a few days ago and i hoping they will repaint my whole bumper too. Its pretty beat up and needs it. Im hoping these scratches will be enough to justify it. What do yall think?

http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/5896/bumpermedium.jpg

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/687/hoodmedium.jpg

justinp95
11-16-2010, 11:23 AM
I can feel the scratches with with finger nail.

somebody5788
11-16-2010, 11:28 AM
I'm not sure what the question here is.... Body shop will do anything for the right money... Doubt they would fix the hood though. They will claim you need a new one. Why? It's aluminum and it will most likely crack trying to repair it.

99blueb5
11-16-2010, 11:34 AM
yeah they will fix anything, just depends on how deep your wallet is

justinp95
11-16-2010, 11:45 AM
Oh no, Someone backed into me... im not paying for it there insurance is. Im just wondering when I take it to get fixed do yall think they would repaint the bumper or not considering that seems to be the only damage to the bumper. I just dont want them to try to buff it out haha. The whole bumper is chipped and i want them to just repaint it so its not on my dime.

exogen
11-16-2010, 12:02 PM
unless it was damaged in the accident or they have told you it is being replaced with the hood I dont see why they would do anything to the bumper.

somebody5788
11-16-2010, 12:13 PM
Body shops dont buff things out. That's what a detailer does lol.

The body shop is going to replace the hood, possibly the grill (if it's cracked) and re spray the bumper. Definitely tell them the hood was damaged in the accident even if it wasnt. It's 100% plausible lmfao.

justinp95
11-16-2010, 12:16 PM
Well they will be doing one or the other. haha. Buff or repaint. Ill make sure of that. The scratch was from the accident so if they dont buff they repaint! lol. Im just wondering if anyone has delt with something like this and would have input.

justinp95
11-16-2010, 12:22 PM
Body shops dont buff things out. That's what a detailer does lol.

The body shop is going to replace the hood, possibly the grill (if it's cracked) and re spray the bumper. Definitely tell them the hood was damaged in the accident even if it wasnt. It's 100% plausible lmfao.

All of this damage is from when they backed into me! It was not pre existing! haha

nick17
11-16-2010, 12:22 PM
If the damage is from the accident they will, even if it isn't they might just assume it is from the accident as it is is very close to the damage and re-spray it. The body shop just wants to make money, especially if its being payed for by an insurance co and re-painting panels is a great way to do so. If they replace the hood they will more than likely paint adjacent body panels to make sure the color blends properly, which would include your bumper and fenders. My experience with body shops and even insurance adjusters is that they are very generous when it come to repairs as they want to be sure that the work looks good.

justinp95
11-16-2010, 12:33 PM
Ah, thanks. I know ive paid out of my own pocket before and the work is not as good. And they actually resprayed the bumper, hood and feathered the fenders too match and cleared it all.

somebody5788
11-16-2010, 12:38 PM
My friend hit a rock on the 4th of July and cracked his bumper on his e90 BMW, previously the hood had been damaged from what looked like someone trying to pry it open. Body shop fixed it all lmfao. He does have full coverage but the hood thing was before he bought it.

justinp95
11-16-2010, 12:48 PM
Ya, im excited. Hopefully they do a good job. I wanted to get it done someday, so good thing this happend. haha

justinp95
11-16-2010, 03:27 PM
Right now its at $1611 plus all the stuff damaged under the hood. Cant get the hood open yet. Front bumper is being repainted and the hood will most likely be repaired if possible.

somebody5788
11-16-2010, 03:48 PM
Right now its at $1611 plus all the stuff damaged under the hood. Cant get the hood open yet. Front bumper is being repainted and the hood will most likely be repaired if possible.

Eek... insurance might total it. "market value" is 2900-3500 for the B5 these days.

black99.5a4
11-16-2010, 04:10 PM
my b5 had 3200 in damage when it was keyed, State Farms computer listed 4100 as being the totaled amount.

Our hoods are not aluminum either [;)]

justinp95
11-16-2010, 04:12 PM
Right now i believe its at 50% per the body shop. Should be ok.

Polski
11-16-2010, 05:11 PM
Our hoods are definitely not aluminium lol, mines all rusted!
The A8's body is aluminium.

Mawhitey
11-17-2010, 09:16 AM
Galvanised steel is what they are supposed to be.

If the damage was caused in the accident they will repair it.

Over here they sometimes try to charge you for "betterment" meaning. Now we have fixed your bumper and fixed your bumper it's better than pre accident so you need to pay us a token fee for that. Tossers.....

justinp95
11-17-2010, 09:35 AM
Well little know fact, apparently most insurance companys (including nationwide) make them by used parts if they are availiable. They are required to call 3 places before they can buy new. So, they have to pay $325 for a new front grill because they couldnt find a used one haha.

justinp95
11-17-2010, 09:36 AM
Galvanised steel is what they are supposed to be.

If the damage was caused in the accident they will repair it.

Over here they sometimes try to charge you for "betterment" meaning. Now we have fixed your bumper and fixed your bumper it's better than pre accident so you need to pay us a token fee for that. Tossers.....

So they want a tip? Fuck that.

Insomniac
11-17-2010, 09:59 AM
Well little know fact, apparently most insurance companys (including nationwide) make them by used parts if they are availiable. They are required to call 3 places before they can buy new. So, they have to pay $325 for a new front grill because they couldnt find a used one haha.

tell them to buy an rs4 grill for $200.

justinp95
11-17-2010, 10:23 AM
from where?

somebody5788
11-17-2010, 10:42 AM
Our hoods are definitely not aluminium lol, mines all rusted!
The A8's body is aluminium.

It's gotta be aluminum. If it was steel 1 hood strut wouldn't be nearly enough to lift it. Least on my facelift one. I've got bare metal from paint chips with no rust. The body is def not aluminum but the hood on these or at least face lift is I believe.

EDIT: Apparently it is steel....... I took a magnet to it to find out. I've never seen a steel hood that didn't way 75 lbs lmfao.

Mad Cow
11-17-2010, 07:19 PM
It's gotta be aluminum. If it was steel 1 hood strut wouldn't be nearly enough to lift it. Least on my facelift one. I've got bare metal from paint chips with no rust. The body is def not aluminum but the hood on these or at least face lift is I believe.

EDIT: Apparently it is steel....... I took a magnet to it to find out. I've never seen a steel hood that didn't way 75 lbs lmfao.

I've got a stone chip on my hood to prove you wrong.[:p]

But yea the hood is surprisingly light.

black99.5a4
11-17-2010, 07:25 PM

My car is facelift as well. What you are seeing is the Galvanized coating that Audi has on the car, that is why a paint chip doesnt rust until you break that gray colored lining so to speak, below it.

I knew it was steel b/c mine is surface rusted from the cinders/salt from last years horrible eastern PA winter.

J Ozzie
11-17-2010, 07:38 PM
Hey if you love in BC like i do ICBC is a See you next tuesday any old damage they leave and patch up the accident part..

Polski
11-17-2010, 08:15 PM
The hood is simply light because its made of a thin sheet of steel.
I'm curious how heavy an a8 hood is..

J Ozzie
11-18-2010, 01:07 AM
^^

What.. my hood is a beast! my shock went and i swear its a good 40 lbs!

J Ozzie
11-18-2010, 01:10 AM
^^

somebody5788
11-18-2010, 05:26 AM
^^

Apparently you've not worked on an American car lol. When they have 2 shocks that barely support the weight from factory and they are both worn out get back to me. And how about when you go about actually removing it! lol. I've had an RX-7 and RX-8 and both had aluminum hoods that weighed close to what the stock B5 one weighs.

J Ozzie
11-18-2010, 07:05 PM
i have and i swear my hood a heavier then my dads ford!