PDA

View Full Version : Got in to a minor accident last night, how much do you think is the damage?

4n2twstr
11-16-2010, 10:02 AM
Not my fault. Bimmer driver, a James Earl Jones look-alike, drifted in to my lane w/out signaling and clipped me on my rear-left with his right-front. Just checkin to see how much the damage will cost to get fixed. Paint cracked about 2inches, hard to see from crappy phone pic and some dents. Northern NJ location if that helps, thx.

http://i891.photobucket.com/albums/ac114/4n2twstr/IMAG0182.jpg

http://i891.photobucket.com/albums/ac114/4n2twstr/IMAG0183.jpg

somebody5788
11-16-2010, 10:04 AM
Not my fault. Bimmer driver, a James Earl Jones look-alike, drifted in to my lane w/out signaling and clipped me on my rear-left with his right-front. Just checkin to see how much the damage will cost to get fixed. Paint cracked about 2inches, hard to see from crappy phone pic and some dents. Northern NJ location if that helps, thx.

http://i891.photobucket.com/albums/ac114/4n2twstr/IMAG0182.jpg

http://i891.photobucket.com/albums/ac114/4n2twstr/IMAG0183.jpg

Between 600-1000

Looks like its drivers rear?

bks4
11-16-2010, 10:24 AM
Between 600-1000

Looks like its drivers rear?

You might actually get lucky... it looks like you can just have the shop buff out that scratch and maybe it will run you closer to $500 - $600 all said and done... suggest the price first, any shop will rip you off if you hesitate or ask how much you think it will cost to fix... tell him what your willing to pay, they probably won't refuse.

4n2twstr
11-16-2010, 11:30 AM
You might actually get lucky... it looks like you can just have the shop buff out that scratch and maybe it will run you closer to $500 - $600 all said and done... suggest the price first, any shop will rip you off if you hesitate or ask how much you think it will cost to fix... tell him what your willing to pay, they probably won't refuse.

Good point on suggesting the price first. Yeah I figured at least $500. We'll see what his insurance adjuster will say; just sux I gotta wait 2 weeks for the damn police report!

...and yea, driver's rear side

somebody5788
11-16-2010, 11:32 AM
That's not gonna buff out lol

nick17
11-16-2010, 12:06 PM
Depends on how you are going about this, if you are using yours or his insurance just take it to the shop(the best one you can find if its his insurance covering it!) and let them do their thing and disregard the rest of this post. if you are paying out of pocket I would see about buffing the bumper damage out as it looks like it didn't even damage the paint, or at least the base-coat. I would first try rubbing the bumper scuff with a moist rag with a lot of pressure in a circular motion. if that doesn't work then move to some very fine grit wet sandpaper and take your time, and if that works then polish the sanded area to restore clear finish. The bumper looks like it should be fairly easy, but like said above the fender damage will not buff out, it will have to be done by a shop if you want the car to look perfect again and don't wanna mess with it yourself. The idea behind trying to buff out the bumper damage is that if taken to a shop they might try to tell you they need to re-spray the bumper. The main problem with the rear fender damage is that it is not as easy to just re-spray like a front fender is as it is part of the body of the car, so a good shop will blend and re- clear the whole panel even for that little damage. So it really depends on how much you care about how your car is repaired vs the price. I'd try fixing the bumper yourself as you don't have much to lose and talk to different shops and see what they say as far as pricing and repair options.

Euromike
11-16-2010, 01:10 PM
If it were me, i would probably have the insurance adjuster look at it, and then when he writes you the check cash it and slide it in your pocket.

bet polishing compound would make it look much better. It will still be noticable, but i would probably rather have the cash.

4n2twstr
11-16-2010, 01:35 PM
Good stuff; all depends on how fat that check will be from the adjuster I guess. I may do what Euromike suggested and use that money to respray my NYC damaged bumpers haha. Will update in a couple o weeks!