PDA

View Full Version : Ran over a rock now i feel a wobble.

Clewe
11-16-2010, 01:09 AM
I was on the freeway today and a pretty big sized rock on the side of the road and my front left wheel ran over it, there was a huge clunk and when I came to a stop to see the damages, there was just a little bit of scrapes on the lower grill valence and like my whole inner fender well splash guard broke off. That's besides the point though, it seems like everytime I drive at a steady 30mph my car feels like it's wobbling? Did I maybe ruin my wheel by running over the rock? I checked to see if it popped my tire but it was fine. If anybody has any ideas please let me know, thanks.

hercfe
11-16-2010, 04:07 AM
could be a flat spot on the tire, or a bent rim. could also be a bent control arm linkage or a loose nut/bolt on the suspension. Take the wheel off and inspect the area. If you don't see anything, put the spare on and see if the problem goes away. If it does, then have the tire replaced or the wheel repaired.

Dunne711
11-16-2010, 04:44 AM
2nd everything above^^^ You can take it to your local shop if you dont have a spare and they can check if it is out of balance. It also could have been the catalyst for a ball joint to go.

-:vw:-
11-16-2010, 08:10 AM
Busted belt in your tire.

99blueb5
11-16-2010, 08:16 AM
get that wheel on a wheel balancer, then you can see if it has a noticeable bend

somebody5788
11-16-2010, 08:30 AM
All good except for the flat spot in the tire hehe. A flat spot is when the rubber compresses and then hardens/ dry rots into that shape from sitting too long.

Like other said most likely: broken cord, bubble on inner sidewall, bent wheel. Have your control arms thoroughly checked though.

bigblue
11-16-2010, 09:22 AM
You can also attain a flat spot from slamming on the brakes and the wheels locking up. If you pull your tire off you could see broken belts (the tire doesn't look straight)

somebody5788
11-16-2010, 10:03 AM
You can also attain a flat spot from slamming on the brakes and the wheels locking up. If you pull your tire off you could see broken belts (the tire doesn't look straight)

Ya thats true but the OP didn't mention that and ABS prevents that hehe.

bigblue
11-16-2010, 10:18 AM
Meh not always... if your unfortunate like me and your abs and traction only work some of the time (Fixed problem last week) I would've been dead the other day if my abs/traction didn't work.

a4iceburg
11-16-2010, 05:29 PM
probably a bent rim, happened to me the other day with a sudden crater in the road
if you know a good shop take the rubber off and if its minor you can hammer it back into place and save the cost of a new wheel goodluckkk

bigblue
11-17-2010, 05:41 AM
You can't just bend back or hammer on alloy wheels. They must be heated and bent back at a welding shop... an even then after they fixed the rim the heat damage can allow the air to come right through the metal.... I saw it everyday at the tire shop I worked at.

somebody5788
11-17-2010, 05:56 AM
You can't just bend back or hammer on alloy wheels. They must be heated and bent back at a welding shop... an even then after they fixed the rim the heat damage can allow the air to come right through the metal.... I saw it everyday at the tire shop I worked at.

You can bend them back... he's not talking really bent here but more like a small tweak.

a4iceburg
11-17-2010, 08:38 AM
exactly, thanks somebody.. if its just a rock your entire wheel isn't going to be bent in, likely just the lip which can be an easy fix if done carefully

Clewe
11-17-2010, 09:51 AM
Believe it or not the rock but a bend in my wheel, but did nothing wrong to my tire lol.

99blueb5
11-17-2010, 09:59 AM
Believe it or not the rock but a bend in my wheel, but did nothing wrong to my tire lol.

the tire will flex but it will transfer the motion to the rim