PDA

View Full Version : What else should I chancge when im doing my timing belt

Quattrocket
03-04-2005, 02:52 PM
Ive decided to wait until it gets warmer to do my belt, still got 20000kms til the "suggested time" and I was wondering what else i should do while ive got the car apart? so far ive got the belt, tensioner, and water pump. I noticed my oil was a little low the other day, so maby I have leaks somewhere. which gaskets and seals should I do? Thanks alot.

Audi_Sniper
03-04-2005, 03:06 PM
I would put in the APR snub mount...

A4 in SC
03-04-2005, 03:10 PM
I'd check the cam seals. Maybe replace your DV while you're there too.

MikekiM
03-04-2005, 03:52 PM
I'd consider replacing some of your vacuum lines as well. Also change your thermostat with the water pump.

OutkastSL
03-04-2005, 04:38 PM
i just ordered all my parts a few weeks back, i'm doing the timing belt, water pump, cam seals, thermostat, and i might do some of the vacuum lines too w/ new clamps.

Quattrocket
03-04-2005, 04:44 PM
so the cam seals, is it a good idea to do those with the timing belt or would it even be possible to do them without removing it? any other gaskets like this one?
how much did it cost ?

greengravy
03-04-2005, 08:16 PM
ehh, from what i know about the cams you need to take the front clip off to get to it i believe.... i believe my mech. said they were on the back side of the engine which you cannot get to w/o pulling off the clip... could be him trying to rip me off but hey, what do i care, im replacing them with my TB anyways so if he was trying to rape me for labor then hes got another thing coming... if your looking to do pulleys or tensioners or any of that kinda stuff you might as well get it doen while you have the whole front off. just easier that way

quickglx
03-04-2005, 09:29 PM
Well you don't really take it "off"... Theres a few bolts you remove and just pull it forward to gain enough room.

recap:
TB
Tensioners
Pulleys
WP
Thermostat
Cam, adjuster seals
vacuum line to DV
DV?
snub mount?
WP and acc belts?

BanditA4
03-05-2005, 09:44 PM
I'm doing the same thing this month, and everything is on order, plus an EFK, snub mount, and DV. I decided not to do a lightweight pully, just haven't seen enough pros v the con of possibly unbalancing the motor.

My noob question is about vacuum line, can I go buy a bunch in bulk and use it for everything, DV line, bad cruise control, ect. and if so what size, or will I need specific diameters or parts? I have seen silicone line will it make a difference in longevity, and is it worth the price over standard line?