PDA

View Full Version : another sub question....

Monchichi8
03-04-2005, 02:34 PM
I am so against putting a big system in the audi, I don't want the thing to start rattling and the whole car starting to sound like crap...squeeks and moans. I am very much into the quailty of a system then the over all loundness of it....Starting to get old, I know..anybody done a 8 in Driver?..I would be using JL. Or maybe a 6 in sub? smaller and a ton of killer sound is Super cool!
anyone done something similar to this?.... how did it come out? thanks, Chris

Zodiak
03-04-2005, 04:21 PM
next week I'm probably gonna be putting one of the new JL 10" W1s in the CD cubby area of my 99.5. They don't require a ton of volume and they sound just as good if not better than my W3, which i loved.

scooter44
03-04-2005, 04:22 PM
hey, im pretty bit into the car audio. Right now i have 4 Resonant Engineering RE 8"s and 2 more just came in the mail!! cant wait to put them in. The subs rattle the trunk quite a bit, but my friend and i threw some Dynamat in there and it reduced it, so you can listen to it pretty loud before the trunk starts to go crazy.

Also, it totally depends on the way you face the subs (or port, if you port).

For example, if you point the subs into the cabin, then you wont have rattling problems, But if you face them toward the trunk...then its another story..

greengravy
03-04-2005, 08:22 PM
your choices are very limited if you are looking to do an 8 in. i would go with RE's if you do an 8". maybe even JL but i know they dont have 8's in the w6 or w7, which you really wouldnt need anyway if you dont want the thumping. back in the day i had 2 12 w3's and had them set at about 75% power. it was all i needed, good crisp bass, nothing overpowering tho, which sounds like what your looking for.. just a thought.... if all else fails why dont you just get some components and run them off of a nice amp? you can get some decent bass out of your mids that way, def sound good w/o thumping bass. if you want to go that route look at some infinity perfects

4ingDrive
03-04-2005, 09:06 PM
There is an 8w7 and it's quite impressive.
http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/8W7.html

Also can't go wrong with a Polyglass Focal 8" if you're into sound quality.

greengravy
03-04-2005, 09:11 PM
well then shit, didnt know that, how much does that puppy cost? i could use one. my eclipse titauiums have been upgraded to being used in my "home theater" its more like turn on mtv or bet and watch things fall off of shelves. i find great humor in it while dirnking

dumherb
03-04-2005, 10:03 PM
Greengravy^ [:D] so your a destructive drinker huh?[:p]
I have one 10' rockford fosgate t1, I didnt want to weigh the car down but I didnt want a stock system. It really adds nice bass and compliments the stock mids and highs very well.

SeanF
03-04-2005, 10:26 PM
www.edesignaudio.com makes a killer 8" driver...

greengravy
03-04-2005, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by dumherb
Greengravy^ [:D] so your a destructive drinker huh?[:p]
yes, from time to time [:p] just dont tell my car that... oh wait, i dont drink and drive. the girlie would hang me by the peter if she found out

scooter44
03-05-2005, 12:56 AM
you guys missed it, RE just had a group buy. 37 dollars per RE 8!!!! haha i bought 2, so ill have 6 altogether. hopefully gonna build a box this weekend.

Monchichi8
03-05-2005, 07:58 AM
Yea, that 8 W7 is pretty damn sick.
Over the years I have had so many CRAZY systems that this go around..I am totally doing it different..Stealth, this is what I have so far...Going to be using the Audi head unit(can't see tearing up the dash to put something that dosen't match our beautiful interiors)line level convertor, MB quartz seperates up front with Competion cross overs, MB quartz rear(still haven't decided which ones I am going to do..probally seperates in back too. JL 4x75 amp(killer amp,took it out of my other car)to run mids and hi's. And for the sub that 8W7 is pretty sick...and of course I would have to run their 500x1 for that monster....Oh no..here it goes ..this thing is going to slam. so much for keeping it understated. LOL

4ingDrive
03-05-2005, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by Monchichi8
Going to be using the Audi head unit(can't see tearing up the dash to put something that dosen't match our beautiful interiors)line level convertor

Don't use an loc, I have an adaptor to get a line level signal out of the stock deck.