PDA

View Full Version : speedo issues b5 a4

wbhess
11-12-2010, 02:52 PM
Hey I'm getting ready to sell my car and I need it inspected. The speedo hasnt been working for last 10 months and I dont have any idea whats going on. Ive searched the forums of other speedometers not working and mine is different. All my other gauges work; fuel, odometer, tach, volt, etc. When i open my door in the morning my speedo needle vibrates rapidly. As i start driving the speedo jumps in 5 or 10 mph increments all the way past 160 regardless of the speed im going. Then, when i turn the car off, it goes the whole way back down to zero. Any ideas whats going on? thanks

99blueb5
11-13-2010, 01:06 PM
its prob the speed sensor on th transmission

walky_talky20
11-13-2010, 09:13 PM
First step is an output test on the cluster. If it is able to control the needle properly during the test (it does a full swing, then stops at 100km/h or some-such), then your problem is with the vehicle speed signal. If you don't have vag-com to do the output test, another way to test would be to pull up the vehicle speed signal on the HVAC on-board diagnostics (requires no tools, just fancy button-pressing). It will readout the speed on the climate control display in km/h. So if it is all jumpy there as well, you know the Vehicle Speed Sensor is junk.

dowsett6
11-14-2010, 09:09 AM
Mine is doing the same thing, and I am unable to do the output test due to using the old version of vagcom. But the HVAC reads the correct speed. So does that mean the cluster is junk?

walky_talky20
11-14-2010, 09:27 AM
Yes, most probably.