PDA

View Full Version : HID kit or Ecodes first

TakumiaAE86
03-04-2005, 08:53 AM
Just wanted to get you guys opinion should i do the Ecodes housings or the HID upgrade first? [headbang]

EVIL-AUDI
03-04-2005, 09:03 AM
You have to decide what ecodes you would rather go with. Halogen ones or real xenon ones that will use D2S bulbs. That will make things easier.

quickglx
03-04-2005, 09:13 AM
HID. Ecodes are overrated....

EVIL-AUDI
03-04-2005, 09:19 AM
Not overrated by any means.

overboostpsi
03-04-2005, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by EVIL-AUDI
You have to decide what ecodes you would rather go with. Halogen ones or real xenon ones that will use D2S bulbs. That will make things easier.

^^^ Evil makes a good point...figure out what type of ecodes you want to buy first, then get then buy the hid kit. Otherwise you'll have to get new bulbs or a new hid kit.

Ecodes make a huge difference compared to the US projector lens. If you are getting the halogen ecodes, then you can buy the hid kit now and simply swap the hid kit when you get the ecodes.

If you want to get the xenon ecodes, then you'll have to get both together.

Xenon ecodes and halogen ecodes use the same projector lens

heartlesskiller
03-04-2005, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by overboostpsi
Xenon ecodes and halogen ecodes use the same projector lens

really?

then why are the xenon e-codes like $200 more?

I always assumed they had a special xenon projector lense in them.
so all your paying for is the adapter in the back?

If you want to save $$ get halogen e-codes and get $20 H7 D2S adapters, glue 'em on and trim the bulbs.

thats what I did and sometimes I ponder how much better my light output would be if I had gotten xenon e-codes.
I guess theres no difference..

TakumiaAE86
03-04-2005, 10:32 AM
how much is involved in getting the HID ecode conversion???
and where do i get them??

greengravy
03-04-2005, 08:27 PM
go with xenon ecodes... thats the only way i would go

quickglx
03-04-2005, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by TakumiaAE86
how much is involved in getting the HID ecode conversion???
and where do i get them??

Get an OEM HID setup here (http://audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38525)[;)]

Ecodes are overrated. The light output isn't any better, just a different cutoff pattern and it's a bit sharper w/ a clear lens. Other than that the DOT projectors and ECE projectors are the same. I've had both and the H7s and the d2s have very similar output when HID equipped, except the flare is a bit larger on the H7. The only benefits I see are a new housing, and I don't really care for them enough to justify the price tag. It all just a matter of preference really. I like the sharp cutoff of the clear lens, but the pattern of a DOT projector. So I just swapped in some new projectors and saved myself a few hundred dollars, and it still looks stock. I think I'm the only one who likes the amber reflectors in the corners...

quickglx
03-04-2005, 09:16 PM
differences in the d2s and h7 projectors lie in the reflector:
http://img233.exs.cx/img233/8086/10009798io.th.jpg (http://img233.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img233&image=10009798io.jpg) http://img174.exs.cx/img174/6476/10009737vc.th.jpg (http://img174.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img174&image=10009737vc.jpg)

The differences in output is so slight you can't really tell them apart, as long as you have the bulbs seated right

derek2079
03-04-2005, 11:49 PM
do halogen e codes have purple projector lenses? or is that hid?

greengravy
03-04-2005, 11:56 PM
i do believe that the purple comes from hid's... i could be wrong bt thats what i always thought they were.. but hell, maybe its just the intensity/degree that the bulbs burn at... on the kelvin scale, which is the temp the measure at, i think theres a spectrum where differnt intensities mean different colors... ie, blue, purple, white... dont quote me on it, but thats what i think

supermario
03-05-2005, 06:30 AM
i got halogen ecodes and there is a hint of purple in them ....even with the lights on i see a little purple or blue on other cars..
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v477/afourturbo/ecodes020.jpg

quickglx
03-05-2005, 09:04 AM
I think derek was talking about the lenses themselves, not the refraction in the cutoff band. I'm not sure which ones come w/ the purple lenses originally.I got mine on a set of halogen projectors and only ONE had a purple lens. WTF?

derek2079
03-06-2005, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by quickglx
I think derek was talking about the lenses themselves, not the refraction in the cutoff band. I'm not sure which ones come w/ the purple lenses originally.I got mine on a set of halogen projectors and only ONE had a purple lens. WTF?

wtf were they used?

quickglx
03-06-2005, 11:50 AM
unfortunately yes.

VeilsideZ33_A4
03-06-2005, 12:14 PM
damn Sivic, that's a hot a4 lol ---- what exactly are ecodes, "GDM" headlight housings? [hail] [az]

quickglx
03-06-2005, 04:02 PM
yeah, ecodes is the term generally used to describe the european headlight housings. They have a different cutoff pattern for the low beam, city lights, and different corner markers w/ no amber reflector. They are pictured above, but you can't really see the corners too well....

derek2079
03-07-2005, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by quickglx
unfortunately yes.

if you want ill trade you a projector for a projector. but if not thats cool aint that big of a deal i just want two with a purple tint so it looks more normal

i tried to pm u but ur pm box was full

GaryJ
03-07-2005, 09:23 AM
I went e-codes first (valeo halogen version), then picked up an HID conversion kit later (Phillips I think). The e-codes made a much bigger impact than the HID upgrade. The HID upgrade did make a difference just not as dramatic.

The defused light of the U.S. spec lights is a big step down from the much less defused light pattern from the e-codes. If you compare side by side, you can see the crap they do to the lens housings on U.S. lights and how it would affect the light being generated.

I came from the really crappy 2-piece lights on my 98.5 which were about as good as sticking a lighter out the window so I may have had much more room for improvement than others with the newer one-piece U.S. set-ups.

I can tell you that all e-codes are not equal. At Audi gatherings we've compared the valeo with the cheaper units you get on ebay and the ebay versions are substandard compared to the valeo units - maybe that's why there's the discrepancy in opinions out there. Also, the HID kit I settled on was my second. The first (some unfamiliar brand that I returned) was not nearly as good as the 2nd kit (I think its Phillips - sorry been a long time since install). Just keep that in mind - my experience with lighting is you get what you pay for: just spend a few extra bucks and the good stuff for your lights: it's worth it.

HID is an improvement over e-code halogens and is great for the bling factor, but not worth it IMHO if you're short on cash.

GaryJ

TakumiaAE86
03-08-2005, 05:59 AM
thanks alot man, if you can find out where you got your HID kit from and the Ecodes i would appreciate it.

GaryJ
03-08-2005, 10:05 AM
My local tuner got me both (www.achtuning.com). AWE (www.awe-tuning.com) has the audi euro housings as well. You might be able to shop around and find better prices. I got a much better deal from Achtuning that the price on their website but I've spent about $15K with them over the years.

As far as an HID kit, you're on your own. They've always been "for offroad use only" meaning you're not supposed to put aftermarket kits on your cars, but that law was not really enforeced. About a year or two ago, the federal govt. also declared that selling the kits was illegal and cracked down on supplies and reputable tuners don't carry HID kits anymore. You can probably find some on EBAY or other grey market sources if you really want them.

GaryJ

overboostpsi
03-08-2005, 10:37 AM
Just look in the classifieds exterior/group buy sections...I'm sure you'll find them. as far as ecode, the halogen projector is very different from the xenon projector. The xenon projector is designed to work with hid lighting, the halogen is designed to work with the halogen lighting and their optics are very different. Hence hid lighting from halogen projectors will be inferior to hid lighting with xenon projectors...