PDA

View Full Version : Turbo install without draining coolant?

kraylon
11-11-2010, 11:08 AM
Is it possabale to change the turbo without draining the coolant?
I'm just trying to make less mess in my garge.

My car is an 01 a4 manual

somebody5788
11-11-2010, 11:09 AM
Is it possabale to change the turbo without draining the coolant?
I'm just trying to make less mess in my garge.

My car is an 01 a4 manual

It will drip no matter what as coolant goes through the turbo, but it's not going to drain your coolant. Just a small pan under the car and you are ok. Some oil will drip too. I recommend an oil change after just for safety and top the coolant off. Make sure you use G12 coolant.

99blueb5
11-11-2010, 11:10 AM
simple answer is no, just drain the block in a 5gal bucket throw the thermostat housing and that will lessen the chance of a mess

somebody5788
11-11-2010, 11:43 AM
simple answer is no, just drain the block in a 5gal bucket throw the thermostat housing and that will lessen the chance of a mess

I just posted the answer and ya you do not have to drain it........ why would you??? The turbo lines are much higher then at least half of the cooling system so they will not leak much. I believe they are rubber lines right? Then just crimp them closed. Wont lose more then 6oz of fluid.

ZimbutheMonkey
11-11-2010, 11:50 AM
Like somebody 5788 said, just pinch off the line. I've pulled my turbo on about 7 different occasions and never once drained the coolant. Just make sure you use a proper clamp like the one in the pic below.

http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo238/tlillo1/K04install014.jpg

BlackLock_A4
11-11-2010, 03:50 PM
^ She's a dirty girl!! You like your girls dirty on the inside? lol

biketsai
11-11-2010, 04:23 PM
I did this on my last install. Right when you take the coolant feed line off, have a clean bottle ready and feed it into there. Wha-la!

kraylon
11-14-2010, 07:35 PM
which line is the coolant feed line?
i have never removed a turbo before i already got all the other stuff out of the way and only have the 4 lines going to the turbo hooked up as of now.
my new turbo gets here thursday.

ZimbutheMonkey
11-14-2010, 08:14 PM
^ She's a dirty girl!! You like your girls dirty on the inside? lol

Yep, and she like it when I talk dirty to her too.

99blueb5
11-14-2010, 08:35 PM
I just posted the answer and ya you do not have to drain it........ why would you??? The turbo lines are much higher then at least half of the cooling system so they will not leak much. I believe they are rubber lines right? Then just crimp them closed. Wont lose more then 6oz of fluid.

its easier to drain the cooling system, chances are you going to change the coolant at the same time, i cannot crimp my coolant lines on my setup they are all hardlines, so draining it is so much easier